Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Skydio

Red90

Reaction score
Website
www.red90.co.uk
Afternoon all.

So, with DJI kit becoming non-usable with the MOD over here in the UK, I need to turn to a platform made outside China.

We currently fly the usual assortment of DJI platforms, from the Mavic 2 Pro to the Inspire Pro - so I need something that will compete in terms of fly-ability and image quality.

The Skydio looks to fit the bill on paper, but has anyone here had experience with the newer models?

Any light people can shed about real-world use would be helpful.

Cheers,
Martin.

I have seen (in person) but not flown the Skydio 2 Enterprise (May not be the correct name) unit. It's designed for Industrial (power/infrastructure) type work and from what I'm hearing only available to that industry. it's got a hefty price tag but it's a very capable unit. The one I saw here (owned by a large Power Co) was impressive. They were mapping in, around, and through power-lines and the unit was able to navigate a pre-programmed flight from one side of the flying area to another (Transformer to substation). It was able to autnomously go in and out of various powerlines, capture data at the transformer, and navigate back through the labyrinth of power-lines all with no user intervention.

It wasn't nearly as "Dummy Proof" as the DJI interface and everything seemed more "clunky" compared to DJI but it did the job with flying colors.

Per the RPIC the price is steep and only available to certain "Sectors" and definitely not the "Consumer" level of the Skydio.

Our ES dept have flown a DEMO of the comsumer Skydio2 in our Emergency Services gig and it leaves a LOT to be desired. But the gang at Skydio have promised their interface is being improved and additional functions/features are coming down the road. It was a No-Go for our department but I didn't see it first hand (Covid-19 scare) so I'm relying on their interpretations etc.

Hi Al,

As always - thanks for the quick reply!

The DJI range has made flying so accessible for guys like me who have come to flying relatively recently. It’s a shame that powers much further up the chain than I have declared them persona non-grata & whilst I understand the reasoning behind it, it certainly causes issues when looking for a comparable replacement.

Regards,
Martin.

Reactions: BigAl07
The Parrot USA is another option and seems more accessible to more people over Skydio. BigAl07 is right, the Skydio is tough to obtain because they sell direct to only certain sectors.

The Parrot USA is definitly more of an enterprise drone because of its payload vs. the Mavic and Inspire you were flying previously. The Parrot USA is shipping to dealers in the coming weeks. Parrot ANAFI USA

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07 and Red90
The Parrot USA is another option and seems more accessible to more people over Skydio. BigAl07 is right, the Skydio is tough to obtain because they sell direct to only certain sectors.

The Parrot USA is definitly more of an enterprise drone because of its payload vs. the Mavic and Inspire you were flying previously. The Parrot USA is shipping to dealers in the coming weeks. Parrot ANAFI USA
To add on, the US DOD has created a list of approved drone manufacturers for use at the federal level; Blue sUAS. I know you are in the UK so not sure how it applies but Parrot and Skydio are in on the list.

Another option in Europe is Acecore. Not cheap, but incredible hardware.

The Autel EVO II Dual has also been just designated “Made in the USA, with domestic parts and labor.” Basically it has some foreign parts, including Chinese, with 75% of the drone being manufactured and assembled in the US. They have plans to make it 100% Made in the US. Again not sure how this applies in the UK but hope it helps!

Reactions: Red90

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91