Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

State Commercial Operations Fees - Anyone Else?

dfly

Reaction score
Are there any other commercial operators here who live in a state that requires registration with them? I’ve gone through all the FAA requirements, figured out insurance, LLC registration with the state, banking etc, only to stumble across the state of Minnesota’s requirement to also register my drone with them AND register my commercial business with them…and of course pay them $25/yr for the drone reg and $30/yr for the commercial ops registration.

I haven’t the slightest idea what kind of services I’m getting from the state in exchange for these annual fees.

Reactions: LeadSledGirl-CDP
I've not heard of a state requiring you to register the drone with them...doesn't sound right; you should do some research on that.

My city requires all businesses to register with them, and annually sends out a long and scary document that you have to fill out, declaring the value of every single piece of equipment used to operate your business...including your house...even if you are self-employed, use all your own equipment that you paid for 15 years ago, and out of your own home! They talk like they will then tax you on the value of all that equipment and your house and car, as well as your income from the business of course.

Welcome to Komifornia...

Reactions: LeadSledGirl-CDP
Wow…I wonder if they see it yet, why so many are fleeing that state…

Sadly, MN, the “Land of 10,000 Rules” is getting more like that. I did verify that I have to register both the UAS and business with them. They even use the example of a wedding photographer using a drone for photos. I’ll go ahead and comply with it, since it’s not worth the headache of a fine and all the bs that would come with it, but I sent a letter to our state rep who is very pro business. Either way, just gotta keep on grindin!

If you are a member of AOPA (which includes a drone membership), see if they will get involved in stopping this. They have been very effective in preventing price gouging on fuel and FBO charges and in keeping airports open.

If you are a member of AOPA (which includes a drone membership), see if they will get involved in stopping this. They have been very effective in preventing price gouging on fuel and FBO charges and in keeping airports open.
Good call! I’m a member (for my pursuits in manned aviation), but don’t have the drone pilot protection services or anything like that. Regardless, I’ll see if they can look into it too, maybe even on a national level for all the states that do this.

In my state (Maryland), drone laws are very good a dd just require that drone operators just follow the FAA rules. The State statute bars cities and counties from imposing any restrictions on drone flights. Some of the counties and cities are trying to get around that restriction by barring photography by drone or requiring a permit to video by drone. In my opinion, that will be very hard to enforce since I will deny that I was photographing anything and ask for a search warrant before allowing an officer to look at my video display. They will need reasonable cause for a search warrant. If it ever goes to court I will show that they are violating state law.

I've not heard of a state requiring you to register the drone with them...doesn't sound right; you should do some research on that.

My city requires all businesses to register with them, and annually sends out a long and scary document that you have to fill out, declaring the value of every single piece of equipment used to operate your business...including your house...even if you are self-employed, use all your own equipment that you paid for 15 years ago, and out of your own home! They talk like they will then tax you on the value of all that equipment and your house and car, as well as your income from the business of course.

Welcome to Komifornia...

Welcome to Komifornia...
Sounds like that's an issue of overreaching by your city. I ran a business in Berkeley CA and their business license reporting requirements were but a short form inquiring only about business income. Equipment and residence weren't concerns and the only question about vehicles was how many bumper stickers you need so as to be able park them lawfully in loading zones.

In my state (Maryland), drone laws are very good a dd just require that drone operators just follow the FAA rules. The State statute bars cities and counties from imposing any restrictions on drone flights. Some of the counties and cities are trying to get around that restriction by barring photography by drone or requiring a permit to video by drone. In my opinion, that will be very hard to enforce since I will deny that I was photographing anything and ask for a search warrant before allowing an officer to look at my video display. They will need reasonable cause for a search warrant. If it ever goes to court I will show that they are violating state law.
Just the local governments’ way of getting their share of fees. Your average local LE officer would likely care less anyway, when they have the discretion, unless they get a complaint and have to at least inquire. There’s enough other crap going on these days.

Good call! I’m a member (for my pursuits in manned aviation), but don’t have the drone pilot protection services or anything like that. Regardless, I’ll see if they can look into it too, maybe even on a national level for all the states that do this.
If you have their pilot protection plus for manned aviation it covers UAS as well. (I just talked to them on Wednesday and she told me it’s the same.) In other news the guy that was their drone expert has left about a year ago and they are working on restructuring/re-focusing the UAS side of the AOPA house.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91