Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

T& D inspection / cell tower inspection

Jiminshin85

Reaction score
How do you start getting job if you don’t have experience? All the job hiring requires certain amont of experience on tower inspection and no idea how to even start. Any training from drone school would help out?

How do you start getting job if you don’t have experience? All the job hiring requires certain amont of experience on tower inspection and no idea how to even start. Any training from drone school would help out?
I looked into this many months ago.
Flying experience is paramount, not just leisure flying but actual work. You should have a log book, logging time, battery info, where, what and who.

Duke energy has their own drone program, in fact many electrical companies utilize drones.
Good luck.:)

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm pretty sure @Florida Drone Supply can give some guidance in this endeavor.

Before you spend too much time & $$ you want to research the job potential out there. As stated above, many of the potential clients have now gone INSIDE and created their own Drone/sUAS program.

What question I would like to know from Jiminshiun is what are your expectations. Is T&D what you are after? If so, what aspect of T&D work are you seeking and also what sensor are you planning to use.

Reactions: BigAl07
What question I would like to know from Jiminshiun is what are your expectations. Is T&D what you are after? If so, what aspect of T&D work are you seeking and also what sensor are you planning to use.
Actually i don’t even know what i’m expectating or what kind of sensors im goint to use yet. I only had licence for a month. I’m studying everything i can find from online but resource is very limited. I thought tower inpection was pretty good work, find interested but didnt have information they started to have in house drone program as well.. it’s really hard to get experience without experience.which field has lot of potential for future?

I guess i gotta start with spotter or camera man and go up from there. But will they hire me as RPIC because i have a ‘spotter’ experience?

I guess you are gunning for the Precision Hawk position in CA. I was cue'd to do that job but I had other job commitment so I did not take the position. Right now it is a good time for T&D work but once that project is over you are back at square one.

Think of it at as once this PG&E project is complete by mid-end of year there will be too many cooks in the kitchen.

Yeah i just found those company today, is it any good? I couldnt find any review on tower inspection class and it is only one day. I doubt it is enough time to cover ground school + hands on training.

Drone University USA are revising their Structural Course to a 2-day course.

Last edited:
@Jiminshin85
I started out in construction and worked with a few Architects. This helped me build a portfolio.
Now I focus on commercial business property photography for business owners.
I usually can get 3 to 5 jobs in a couple days.
They will receive a 12x18 framed picture of their business, I'll post it on their website and they get a copy for printing.

I"ll hustle showing what projects I've done, using my show and tell tablet.
I now get referrals, but I still go out and find my own jobs.
I fly a Yuneec Typhoon H, retract gears, continuous 360 gimble 4k camera, great machine for what I do.

So I guess what I'm saying, you may want to start a side business?
Example:?

Attachments

• 1-RV Storage 3 LR-PS.png
    1-RV Storage 3 LR-PS.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Reactions: Outta Control
Never hurts to ask. It's all about marketing yourself.
How badly do you want the job?
I want couple weeks only to get enough training I was thinking about taking couple weeks off from my full time job. Guess it’s not that easy if im not full dedicated.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I might have to throttle back little more and go slowly building my portfolio with side business.

Reactions: AH-1G
I guess you are gunning for the Precision Hawk position in CA. I was cue'd to do that job but I had other job commitment so I did not take the position. Right now it is a good time for T&D work but once that project is over you are back at square one.

Think of it at as once this PG&E project is complete by mid-end of year there will be too many cooks in the kitchen.

Drone University USA are revising their Structural Course to a 2-day course.
I can’t quit my current full time job it’s too good lol but i thought all these tower inspection industry still had full of chances and opportunity so i was going to learn and starting business.. but i guess i didnt know ****! Lol

I can’t quit my current full time job it’s too good lol but i thought all these tower inspection industry still had full of chances and opportunity so i was going to learn and starting business.. but i guess i didnt know ****! Lol

Well it is best to do some further research on what you want out of it.

Just an FYI the PH opportunity is 6 day straight work for 10-12 hours. So yeah anyone who is currently working may not apply. LOL

Either way check out the link I sent you.

I can't remember the name of the company but I believe they were posting here some time ago. I was offered several towers to photograph. They were ok with me being trained by watching their videos. I felt it was a lot of work and a lot of image uploading for not that much money and eventually declined. I might have done it had there been the likelihood of continuing work but it was just that one set of towers with not much hope for future work.

Well it is best to do some further research on what you want out of it.

Just an FYI the PH opportunity is 6 day straight work for 10-12 hours. So yeah anyone who is currently working may not apply. LOL

Either way check out the link I sent you.
Yeah i’ll check it out. Thank you for your help!

Reactions: Outta Control

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker