Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Teachable Moment Pop-Quiz #3

Outta Control

Reaction score
Website
www.hoveranalytics.com
Okay one more before I rebuild my other drone.

The Apparent temperature of the heating element is near 356F, why is the conduction of heat seen slow.

Explain your observations.

VaEdWT7l.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim H
The base of the basin has not yet started to transmit heat? or is the rest of the casserole made of a more heat-resistant material?

These are exam questions, aren't they? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I would think the dish was designed to transfer heat to the contents. Also seems the upper part of the dish is similar temperature to back panel of the stove, so I wonder if the time the heat element has been on is not very long.
Just wondering why the lid is black? Is that reflection or is it much cooler as the lower number 60.8 would indicate.
Maybe it just came out of the fridge.

The base of the basin has not yet started to transmit heat? or is the rest of the casserole made of a more heat-resistant material?

These are exam questions, aren't they? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
You are half way there but need to complete it.

I would think the dish was designed to transfer heat to the contents. Also seems the upper part of the dish is similar temperature to back panel of the stove, so I wonder if the time the heat element has been on is not very long.
Just wondering why the lid is black? Is that reflection or is it much cooler as the lower number 60.8 would indicate.
Maybe it just came out of the fridge.

Great observation but you and ArrUnTus is so close!

Here is a hint...cast iron.

Over all good job fellas. Let's run this a little longer.

:)

Outside, the cast iron does not allow the sensor to detect heat?

Here I get lost, the iron is able to transmit the heat quite well, the cast iron still has some characteristic that encloses the heat inside it helping to save energy (in this case). I don't know :rolleyes:

LOL. No worries my friend. You had the right idea.

Cast iron is a very dense material, thus why it can retain heat evenly.

So if you ever cooked with a cast iron cookware, you should note that cast iron pans and cookware take a bit longer to bring it up to temperature unlike aluminum or steel pans.

Which means cast iron material take a longer to do Conductive heating, which is evident to the cookware slowly heating near the bottom at a high temperature heating element.

As for the lid, I placed a minute before I took the thermal photo. :)

Reactions: ArrUnTuS
To make a good study I understand that it is necessary to have at least also an RGB image to be able to determine this kind of things. I mean, you also have to take into account the material of the objects under study.

Reactions: Outta Control
Well emissivity is the ratio of a the actual amount of electromagnetic energy emitted by an object to the amount emitted by an ideal blackbody at the same temperature.

So basically when we talk about Emissivity it about measuring for Absolute temperature.

This was an exercise of a Qualitative analysis but knowing the material and how it is manufactured (Enamel) will affect it's ability to both absorb and/or reflective.

:)

Reactions: ArrUnTuS and jack.s
Thanks again,
Ok, so is it a fair statement to say
-different materials will reflect the same amount of heat differently.
-Then using thermal imaging we would need to know the materials and what the ratio is, to analyse correctly.
If not emissivity what do we call this ?

We would call it Conduction.

ie. "...Based on my background, knowledge, and experience, the conductivity of the cast iron show a slow but gradual transfer of heat energy signified by the lower portion of the cookware. This could be attributed to the material ability to resist conduct based on Fourier's Law of heat conduction."

Now I'll send the Invoice to who? :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905