Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

TFR Question

JDL

Reaction score
when it comes to a TFR, has anyone had experience flying several hours before one starts? Is it typical for aloft and sky vector to show the tfr (on their maps) in advance of the start time? any advice besides continuing to check for any changes to the time?

Last edited:
Yes. If you hover your mouse over the TFR area in SkyVector, it will pop up a box with the start and end time of the TFR, and also the reason for it. Then, if you click on the TFR area it will sometimes give you additional information. Below is an example of what you might see.

I needed to fly in Class B airspace (Newark Liberty International Airport) two weeks ago and had gotten authorization for it, but that morning I saw that a TFR had been posted for the area. Fortunate for me, I was conducting my flight at 11am and the TFR was to go into effect at 4pm. I like the fact that SkyVector displays upcoming TFRs. I don't want to show up at a site and suddenly find a TFR in place. (Though that still could happen.)

(For those struggling with Zulu time... Zulu time is the same as GMT or UTC time on a 24hr clock. Depending on your time zone, subtract the number of hours difference between you're location and London time. In my case, NYC is currently 5 hours behind London, which mean the TFR will go into effect at 17:05 NYC time (24 hr clock) or 5:05pm.)

Capture.PNG

SkyVector has a convenient app that can be installed on one's phone for real-time field checking of any TFRs in place.

Last edited:
I don’t see a SkyVector app. Is it called something else?

Thanks I'll check it out. I already use SkyVector on the PC, but didn't see the phone app that MapMaker53 alluded to.

I had an issue with Aloft where it wouldn't give me LAANC authorization within the 24 hour period leading up to a TFR. I'm thinking it was just a bug but I had to use Airmap instead to get the permission I needed.
I was flying on a Thursday and Aloft informed me there was a TFR on Friday starting at 9 pm. But for whatever reason, it would only grant me LAANC authorization to fly in that controlled airspace until 9 pm on Thursday.
I contacted Aloft about the issue but I don't think they understood me.

But to answer your question, yes it's listed ahead of time.

It's also a good practice to check your airspace again right before flying. I had TFR pop up the day of my flight because a VIP was going to be in the area. When it turned out they weren't coming, the TFR went away. Either way, it's always good to double check before taking off.

Reactions: dronecyclops
I had an issue with Aloft where it wouldn't give me LAANC authorization within the 24 hour period leading up to a TFR. I'm thinking it was just a bug but I had to use Airmap instead to get the permission I needed.
I was flying on a Thursday and Aloft informed me there was a TFR on Friday starting at 9 pm. But for whatever reason, it would only grant me LAANC authorization to fly in that controlled airspace until 9 pm on Thursday.
I contacted Aloft about the issue but I don't think they understood me.

But to answer your question, yes it's listed ahead of time.

It's also a good practice to check your airspace again right before flying. I had TFR pop up the day of my flight because a VIP was going to be in the area. When it turned out they weren't coming, the TFR went away. Either way, it's always good to double check before taking off.
AirMap is no longer allowed to provide LAANC authorizations. They've been delisted by the FAA.

Last edited:
Okay well this is strange. I searched the iPhone App Store two weeks ago and found the free SkyVector app. But now a search comes up with nothing. Maybe they temporarily removed it from the App Store? Here is a screen shot of the app and the opening screen on my phone.

Attachments

• skyvector app.jpg
    skyvector app.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 2
  • skyvector app screen.jpg
    skyvector app screen.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 1
Sorry guys. My memory isn't what it used to be. Now I recall it wasn't an actual app. I just discovered how to make a website into an app-like link on my iPhone. Here's how you do it:

How to Add Website Apps to the iPhone Home Screen​

To add websites to your home screen like apps, follow these steps:
  1. Open Safari. Other browsers, such as Chrome, won't work for this.
  2. Navigate to the website you want to save to your home screen. Make sure you visit the exact page you want to open through the shortcut.
  3. Tap the Share button at the bottom of the page. It looks like a square with an arrow pointing out of the top.
  4. In the list of options that appears, scroll down until you see Add to Home Screen. Tap this.
  5. On the next screen, choose a name for the website shortcut on your home screen. You'll see the link so you can confirm it, as well as the site's favicon that becomes its "app" icon. Click Add when you're done.
  6. Now just tap the new app on your home screen, and it will open the website in its own navigation window, independent of what you have open in Safari.

I once drove 133 miles from San Diego to Hollywood for a shoot and upon arrival, DJI would not allow me to lift off due to a TFR. The TFR was for a 2-day awards event that had happened several days earlier. I was able to get useable footage at 1080 with my Spark, but it was frustrating. I contacted DJI and they were apologetic about not cancelling it.

Sorry guys. My memory isn't what it used to be. Now I recall it wasn't an actual app. I just discovered how to make a website into an app-like link on my iPhone. Here's how you do it:

How to Add Website Apps to the iPhone Home Screen​

To add websites to your home screen like apps, follow these steps:
  1. Open Safari. Other browsers, such as Chrome, won't work for this.
  2. Navigate to the website you want to save to your home screen. Make sure you visit the exact page you want to open through the shortcut.
  3. Tap the Share button at the bottom of the page. It looks like a square with an arrow pointing out of the top.
  4. In the list of options that appears, scroll down until you see Add to Home Screen. Tap this.
  5. On the next screen, choose a name for the website shortcut on your home screen. You'll see the link so you can confirm it, as well as the site's favicon that becomes its "app" icon. Click Add when you're done.
  6. Now just tap the new app on your home screen, and it will open the website in its own navigation window, independent of what you have open in Safari.
Thanks much. Makes it very easy to access, and a nice tool.

Reactions: MapMaker53

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku