Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Thank goodness for my win here!

Red90

Reaction score
Website
www.red90.co.uk
Flying today for a new client & would you believe our I1 pro decided to pull the ‘IMU Initializing’ issue & not launch.

After ten minutes of trying with no avail to get the **** thing off the ground (launch it from a metal drain cover is the work around by the way) - I pulled out our shiny Phantom 4 Obsidian.

I have to say that I love the Phantom as a platform, I’m not a technically advanced flyer as far as guys here that have decades of experience, but in the four years that I’ve been flying I find that I can pull off fantastic looking shots and the extra bells and whistles that the 4 brings over the 3 allowed me to get exactly what I needed today.

I am seriously considering getting rid of the I1 pro, and getting a backup P4 pro.. what do you guys think? The only downside is that I do a fair bit of broadcast work & there is still a ‘consumer’ preconception about the Phantom (even the mean looking Obsidian!).

But anway, huge thanks to the lovely people here that allowed me to get my shots!

Martin.

Glad you were able to get the job done, backups are a necessity for commercial operations. If you ever plan to use a thermal camera you may want to keep the I1, they are work horses. P4P's are wonderful aircraft.

What steps did you take to clear the IMU Initializing issue?

I was trying to keep calm in front of the client (luckily they were cool with the situation) and google the issue.

I kept coming across ‘keep it as cool as you can, below 15 degrees C, and re-initialise the IMU’. This wasn’t possible filming in 23 degree heat, even though the craft had been transported in an air conditioned van & the battery temp was only 19.2 degrees..

I then read that Phantom pilots were having the same issue & to try and place it on a metal drain cover. I thought it would be crazy, but **** me the motors fired immediately!

I had the Spark in my kit for some indoor shots we were getting later on, so if I was really up against it I could have used that - but that is really pushing the professional image a bit too far!! However, the client was really impressed with the shots we got with it in their warehouse later :))

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM