Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

The NAS; The FAA makes a stand.

Dave Pitman

Reaction score
Stuff like this is why I laugh when I hear about local laws that attempt to pre-empt federal laws.

They can regulate your takeoff and landings through land laws. But not nearly as much once you are in the air.

I came across someone advocating for taking off from a moving vehicle to circumvent some of the land laws. Not sure how viable that usually is though as far as a legal defense.

My advice; boots, long pants, high visibility vest and hard hat keeps 95% of people off your nuts when you are trying to work, especially law enforcement.

Half Moon bay state park, outlawed drone operations. It is a small park. I took off outside the park, flew the flight and took the photos I wanted and returned. Park ranger (little short woman) came out and went nuts, was going to take my drone. I told her she was outside the park, outside her authority and she walked off informing me she was going to call the local police. The cops never showed up.
The other side of it is, NP like Yosemite there is no way you can fly into the park to where you would want to photograph from outside the park. The park superintendent will give authorization for certain flights and only at certain times of the year, normally for habitat observation, such as watching the bears fish the Merced river.
Why are they so touchy about it. A couple years ago some idiot flew a drone into one of the climbers that was on El Captain.

My point is, find who in whatever area you are in has the authority to grant operations then if you can work with them it makes life so much easier. States are notorious for stepping on federal regulations and constitutional violations.

Reactions: BigAl07
Half Moon bay state park, outlawed drone operations. It is a small park. I took off outside the park, flew the flight and took the photos I wanted and returned.

If you read through the pdf I linked above, the FAA is basically telling states and municipalities to regulate the operation, take-off and landing, not the airspace. Just like your example and the National Parks. For example, Half Moon just works with the municipality which surrounds the park to restrict take-off and landing within 2 miles of the park, mission accomplished.

What we will end up with is a patchwork of operational restrictions throughout the country that have nothing to do with the airspace and the FAA will be happy. We, probably won't be but who knows, maybe everyone will just chill. Unlikely though.

BTW, Unfortunately, this is the exact model that AirMap is hoping and lobbying for so that their app will be a tool to help you navigate the quagmire. If the quagmire doesn't happen, AirMap looks for a new business model.

We are probably living in "the good ol' days" of free uav operation. Remember when all the "no skateboarding here" signs went up a couple of decades ago? (well, some of you remember ;) )

Reactions: BigAl07
Dave I think you are right, I started flying in the 70s, yes I'm that old. What we could do then, and what we can do now are two different things. I was a crop duster back then, today they have so many restrictions it is nuts. Shortly after I got my private I shot an instrument approach into San Jose, I know the air controllers figured out real quick that I didn't have an instrument rating, they never said a word. Today it would of been by my license.
I would take people on sight seeing trips over Yosemite and fly down the valley, those days are also gone, and for no good reason other than the park tree hugers.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
If you read through the pdf I linked above, the FAA is basically telling states and municipalities to regulate the operation, take-off and landing, not the airspace. Just like your example and the National Parks. For example, Half Moon just works with the municipality which surrounds the park to restrict take-off and landing within 2 miles of the park, mission accomplished.

What we will end up with is a patchwork of operational restrictions throughout the country that have nothing to do with the airspace and the FAA will be happy. We, probably won't be but who knows, maybe everyone will just chill. Unlikely though.

BTW, Unfortunately, this is the exact model that AirMap is hoping and lobbying for so that their app will be a tool to help you navigate the quagmire. If the quagmire doesn't happen, AirMap looks for a new business model.

We are probably living in "the good ol' days" of free uav operation. Remember when all the "no skateboarding here" signs went up a couple of decades ago? (well, some of you remember ;) )

Actually Airmap is lobbying to give control of the actual airspace up to 200 feet localities. Then they get to be the brokers between the operator and localities to get permission ($$$) to fly, taking a cut of the action along the way. This is far worse than localities controlling where you can and can’t stand while operating.

Actually Airmap is lobbying to give control of the actual airspace up to 200 feet localities. Then they get to be the brokers between the operator and localities to get permission ($$$) to fly, taking a cut of the action along the way. This is far worse than localities controlling where you can and can’t stand while operating.
The more I find out about airmap the more I don't like.

Here's to hoping they fail and run out of money soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91