Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Timely Class D FAA Authorization

mdurbanek

Reaction score
Website
www.architecturalshots.com
FYI, I received a timely response from the FAA today. On October 15 I requested approval for a flight in Class D airspace a mile and a half from a regional airport (with a contract tower) for the last two weeks of January. Got the email today. It took 60 days, 30 days before my requested window. It isn't LAANC, but I think it was good service.

I don't think I would consider that a timely response, mdurbanek. Still sounds like 60 to 90 days to get a response. My flight schedules revolve around construction and field work, and I don't get that much lead time when I'm called upon to fly a site. Seems to me they should be able to take a look at the waiver and approve or deny such a request within a week's time.

Gosh Mapmaker, I thought it was perfect - and a lot quicker than it used to be. I planned ahead, not wanting to shoot during Halloween, Thanksgiving, and especially Christmas with their accompanying house and yard decorations (this is a new home development). I specified the dates I wanted, and they notified me a month ahead of time. I don't know, perhaps if you ask for something in two weeks they'll tell you in a week. But that never worked for me before.

I'm hoping they'll get the contract towers on board soon. This is the first time LAANC hasn't been there for me when I needed them.

I don't think I would consider that a timely response, mdurbanek. Still sounds like 60 to 90 days to get a response. My flight schedules revolve around construction and field work, and I don't get that much lead time when I'm called upon to fly a site. Seems to me they should be able to take a look at the waiver and approve or deny such a request within a week's time.

Or maybe you apply in advance for a year for each job site and blanket coverage and you get what you need and don't have to constantly file last minute? It's always worked for me.

Unfortunately that would not work for me as we are constantly getting new jobs and sites to work on and I am given maybe one month's notice, at best, as to when they would like me to fly a site. Luckily, our sites have not been anywhere near major airports -- except those within the NYC Metro, area and the city has a blanket ban on drone flying anywhere within the city limits anyway.

I got my last few WAOs in 3-6 days, one including a military base. My first one took 10 weeks though (also military airspace)

The last one I applied for, the FAA called me and said they have 30 days to reply.
I rarely get that much lead time for a project.
I get 1-5 days lead time so I've got wide area authorizations that are good until September 2019 for every airfield in my op area. Once you have them lead time doesn't matter unless you have to deviate from your auth such as flying a zero grid or action that requires a waiver

That's a good idea. We have contracts to fly several areas in Wisconsin twice a year. I'll try that next time to be covered. The first one I applied for was in a 0 altitude grid.
The Faa told me 0 chance of getting approval on those.
Thanks

That's a good idea. We have contracts to fly several areas in Wisconsin twice a year. I'll try that next time to be covered. The first one I applied for was in a 0 altitude grid.
The Faa told me 0 chance of getting approval on those.
Thanks
Yeah don't apply for just one job/location. They're approving them for a year if you select it.

Couldn't you apply for a waiver that covers and extended period of time? If you cover multiple construction sites, I suspect you'd need to do a waiver for each one. If approved, you wouldn't have to mess with individual approvals.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905