Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

To contact airport or not to contact that is the question?

Bob

Reaction score
Okay after watching several YouTube videos from some of the people running 107 test preparations I have become confused. If you are flying under part 107 and in class G airspace and are within 5 miles of a private Airport which is also in class g airspace, do you contact the airport when you are flying under 107 as a requirement of the law, or is this just a courtesy call? it appears that if you are flying as a hobbyist you must contact the airport to comply with the law.

Part 107: The call is courtesy if GOLF airspace. If other than GOLF you must get Authorization/Waiver and that document will define if you call, who you call, and when you call.

101/336/Hobby: Contact the airport to "notify"if within 5 miles unless class BRAVO and in that case you must get permission.

Reactions: Russ Still
Thank you, that is what i thought but I was just watching videos while I had spare time to help me retain the knowledge and it was just getting me confused, with the wording that a couple of sites used it seemed that they contradicted each other but after paying very close attention to what was being said, I understood. Again thank you for your answer and help. ( I do always call this private Airport when I fly, and after meeting with the man in charge he asked for some of my cards and has helped get me a few jobs so it pays to stay friendly with your local Airport)

Reactions: BigAl07
We sometimes get the best clients from the strangest of meetings. It's always best to try and be an Ambassador for our industry and it sounds like you're doing exactly that. Keep up the good work.

According to AC 107-2 there is no requirement to notify the airport. I suggest reading the entire document, but here is the relevant paragraph.

5.8.1 Small UA Operations Near an Airport—Notification and Permissions. Unless the flight is conducted within controlled airspace, no notification or authorization is necessary to operate at or near an airport. When operating in the vicinity of an airport, the remote PIC must be aware of all traffic patterns and approach corridors to runways and landing areas. The remote PIC must avoid operating anywhere that the presence of the sUAS may interfere with operations at the airport, such as approach corridors, taxiways, runways, or helipads. Furthermore, the remote PIC must yield right-of-way to all other aircraft, including aircraft operating on the surface of the airport.

Reactions: Kristina Fowler
According to AC 107-2 there is no requirement to notify the airport. I suggest reading the entire document, but here is the relevant paragraph.

Many Airport Authorizations/Waivers will stipulate the notification process but "In General" if that is not the case then making notification is just good practice.

Okay after watching several YouTube videos from some of the people running 107 test preparations I have become confused. If you are flying under part 107 and in class G airspace and are within 5 miles of a private Airport which is also in class g airspace, do you contact the airport when you are flying under 107 as a requirement of the law, or is this just a courtesy call? it appears that if you are flying as a hobbyist you must contact the airport to comply with the law.
Regarding Part 107, "contacting the airport" is a misnomer. Unless there's a manned control tower, you don't need authorization. For Class B, C & D Airspace, you need authorization obtained through the FAA website. In regards to "calling the tower", the tower cannot grant instant authorization for Part 107 pilots. That's a huge misconception. They instead will direct you right back to the FAA website for authorization. They cannot (based on a number of calls I placed myself) give you authorization over the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
Thank you, that is what i thought but I was just watching videos while I had spare time to help me retain the knowledge and it was just getting me confused, with the wording that a couple of sites used it seemed that they contradicted each other but after paying very close attention to what was being said, I understood.

And a great example of why a strong, reputable training program is the way to go when preparing for your Remote Pilot FAA exam. Best of luck to you!

And a great example of why a strong, reputable training program is the way to go when preparing for your Remote Pilot FAA exam. Best of luck to you!
I agree that's why I enrolled in Gold seal and I now have my part 107 license! I was just watching videos and the way the wording was done it was confusing me, which sometimes is not that hard to do.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
Regarding Part 107, "contacting the airport" is a misnomer. Unless there's a manned control tower, you don't need authorization. For Class B, C & D Airspace, you need authorization obtained through the FAA website. In regards to "calling the tower", the tower cannot grant instant authorization for Part 107 pilots. That's a huge misconception. They instead will direct you right back to the FAA website for authorization. They cannot (based on a number of calls I placed myself) give you authorization over the phone.

Let me correct that for you...

They have been instructed to NOT give authorizations verbally over the phone but "legally" they still can and, I know for a fact that it "CAN" be done... I had one on Saturday.

I was working out of state and asked to do an additional job for a client. They gave me the location of the job so I could pre-flight etc to make sure I was good to go. I did my due diligence and I was good to go in GOLF airspace. As I was en-route to the location I got a call and was told, "Hold up.... they gave you the wrong location. It's actually located 11 miles WEST of where you are headed." I drove to the new location and all of a sudden I'm in the middle of CHARLIE airspace and I do NOT have an Airspace Authorization or Waiver for this area. I started researching and found the # to call. I was so dreading the phone call because I was fully expecting "Not gonna happen... head over to the web portal and submit your request". I made the call and explained who I was, where I was, what my intentions were and to my surprise I was granted "verbal" up to 100' but not to exceed 100' for any reason. I had to call them 30 minutes prior to the flight session starting and immediately upon completion of the session. We flew this project without a hitch and was home before sunset.

It's worth noting this was NOT at a LAANC associated location.

Reactions: Moosewax
Let me correct that for you...

They have been instructed to NOT give authorizations verbally over the phone but "legally" they still can and, I know for a fact that it "CAN" be done... I had one on Saturday.

I was working out of state and asked to do an additional job for a client. They gave me the location of the job so I could pre-flight etc to make sure I was good to go. I did my due diligence and I was good to go in GOLF airspace. As I was en-route to the location I got a call and was told, "Hold up.... they gave you the wrong location. It's actually located 11 miles WEST of where you are headed." I drove to the new location and all of a sudden I'm in the middle of CHARLIE airspace and I do NOT have an Airspace Authorization or Waiver for this area. I started researching and found the # to call. I was so dreading the phone call because I was fully expecting "Not gonna happen... head over to the web portal and submit your request". I made the call and explained who I was, where I was, what my intentions were and to my surprise I was granted "verbal" up to 100' but not to exceed 100' for any reason. I had to call them 30 minutes prior to the flight session starting and immediately upon completion of the session. We flew this project without a hitch and was home before sunset.

It's worth noting this was NOT at a LAANC associated location.

What Big Al said.

I have had a similar situation where I have been granted a verbal approval. Was flying in Class G airspace when the tower was closed, and at 8am when the tower opened and the airspace became D I had 15 minutes of flying left to complete my work in the area. I called the tower, explained the situation and got 15 more minutes to fly.

Just don't ever expect ATC to give you permission over the phone, just be nice and hope for the best.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku