Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Under Review and Waiting

BlueRidge

Reaction score
Hello,
I searched for a discussion on this topic, but was unable to find one. For those of you that have successfully received FAA waivers, how long did the "under review" segment of the process take? I've waited and waited, and then finally moved to the "under review" heading, and it's been over a week. Just wondering if any of you that are more experienced have any insight.

Thank you

First WELCOME to the forum :)

I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC. I took notice to your screen name.

It depends on the request itself. Some go quickly and the more complex ones take longer... some a LOT longer.

What did you apply for?

Welcome.

I recently applied for a waiver in a very complex Class B airspace that is shared by two major airports. The location was in a zero cell within a LAANC airport grid that has not been activated yet -- so basically no LANNC available -- but still in a high traffic "zero" grid location. I applied for an Airspace Authorization via the FAADroneZone portal. I was VERY specific regarding the drone model and it's capabilities, how I was going to be viewing the telemetry, flight accuracy, altitude accuracy, pre-launch procedures, safety measures, low battery RTH, using a VO, etc. Basically anything I could think of to demonstrate that I would be no safety risk to manned aircraft in the area. Even puchased a $39 strobe that is blinding even in daylight (I couldn't find the off switch due to flash spots in my vision) to make my sUAV a bit more visible. And I even included Google Earth images of the requested flight location and radius. Also, I was requesting a very conservative low-altitude 75' max AGL because I will just be using the sUAV like a movie production camera boom to get a unique view of the work being done on the ground. No need for a lot of altitude. And I made sure I emphasized the LOW-ALITUDE aspect. I was expecting (hoping) it would take maybe 6 weeks to get a thumbs up or down, but to my surprise I actually received my waiver in exactly one week. I'm sure it was all of the thought out detail I included that helped. I think they appreciated it.

Reactions: Moosewax
First WELCOME to the forum :)

I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC. I took notice to your screen name.

It depends on the request itself. Some go quickly and the more complex ones take longer... some a LOT longer.

What did you apply for?

Thank you for the "welcome". I applied for ongoing photography and videography within cubes on the FAA map allowing 100 and 200 foot UAS operation near a Hampton Roads military base in Virginia. I did follow the instructions and took the time to watch the FAA webinars. My hazard mitigation plan was detailed, and I feel confident in the application. The max altitude I applied for is 75 feet AGL in both 100' and 200' blocks. Military is evidently not part of the LAANC program, otherwise I would just use an app.

Consider yourself blessed. You're living in a beautiful part of the country. I've got a property where the Blue Ridge and Alleghenies meet in Virginia. My wife and I are desperately trying to get out of the city and out to the sanity of the mountains.

Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: BigAl07
Welcome.

I recently applied for a waiver in a very complex Class B airspace that is shared by two major airports. The location was in a zero cell within a LAANC airport grid that has not been activated yet -- so basically no LANNC available -- but still in a high traffic "zero" grid location. I applied for an Airspace Authorization via the FAADroneZone portal. I was VERY specific regarding the drone model and it's capabilities, how I was going to be viewing the telemetry, flight accuracy, altitude accuracy, pre-launch procedures, safety measures, low battery RTH, using a VO, etc. Basically anything I could think of to demonstrate that I would be no safety risk to manned aircraft in the area. Even puchased a $39 strobe that is blinding even in daylight (I couldn't find the off switch due to flash spots in my vision) to make my sUAV a bit more visible. And I even included Google Earth images of the requested flight location and radius. Also, I was requesting a very conservative low-altitude 75' max AGL because I will just be using the sUAV like a movie production camera boom to get a unique view of the work being done on the ground. No need for a lot of altitude. And I made sure I emphasized the LOW-ALITUDE aspect. I was expecting (hoping) it would take maybe 6 weeks to get a thumbs up or down, but to my surprise I actually received my waiver in exactly one week. I'm sure it was all of the thought out detail I included that helped. I think they appreciated it.
Thank you for the info MapMaker53. Which drone are you using, and which $39.00 strobe do you attach to your UAS?

Thank you for the info MapMaker53. Which drone are you using, and which $39.00 strobe do you attach to your UAS?

I currently fly a Phantom 4 Pro. Previously flew a Phantom 2 Vision Plus. The strobe was actually a little less than $39 now that I look again. Pretty inexpensive for this tiny powerful light. I bought it in white and this particular version has 4 yellow diodes (not sure that is what they are called) that emit a ridiculously bright flash -- all four at once. I've attached it to my P4P with white Velcro allowing it to be removable rather than use the double-sided poster tape that comes with it.

You can find it here.

btw.. the video on the website doesn't even come close to representing the brightness. Can't look directly at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: R Martin
I currently fly a Phantom 4 Pro. Previously flew a Phantom 2 Vision Plus. The strobe was actually a little less than $39 now that I look again. Pretty inexpensive for this tiny powerful light. I bought it in white and this particular version has 4 yellow diodes (not sure that is what they are called) that emit a ridiculously bright flash -- all four at once. I've attached it to my P4P with white Velcro allowing it to be removable rather than use the double-sided poster tape that comes with it.

You can find it here.

btw.. the video on the website doesn't even come close to representing the brightness. Can't look directly at it.

Those are INSANELY bright and the exact ones I have on order for one of my sUAS. Here's a great 3D mount as well:

I applied for ongoing photography and videography within cubes on the FAA map allowing 100 and 200 foot UAS operation near a Hampton Roads military base in Virginia. I did follow the instructions and took the time to watch the FAA webinars. My hazard mitigation plan was detailed, and I feel confident in the application. The max altitude I applied for is 75 feet AGL in both 100' and 200' blocks. Military is evidently not part of the LAANC program, otherwise I would just use an app.

BlueRidge, keep in mind that in applying for a COA in Controlled Airspace associated with a military base you're actually dealing with two agencies (FAA and DoD) rather than the usual one. So, a longer processing time is quite normal. Originally, it could take up to 120 days - but seems to be much quicker now. (You experience and mileage may very.)

You're correct about LAANC; military bases and contract (non-FAA) fields are not currently participants in the LAANC system. Also worth noting, while civilian COAs do not generally require that you contact ATC prior to flight ops, military base COAs normally require you contact base ops prior to your flight and right after completing your mission. FYI, I've found that contacting base ops as soon as you receive the COA, introducing yourself, and offering to FAX a copy of your COA expedites things once you're ready to begin flights.

Best of luck.

Absolutely so.

Two options I have found useful: If flying with just a VO, I have the VO turn away (to preserve their night vision) and I use the controller & monitor to "block" the strobes while I turn the strobes on, back away, and launch to a safe altitude (above eye level, usually 15-30' AGL); alternately, I fly with a VO and PO (Payload Operator) with the PO responsible for turning on the strobes - the latter wears DJI Goggles during flight, which monitor both aircraft telemetry and controls camera functions - thus freeing me up to focus exclusively on VLOS flight.

Reactions: BigAl07
I am also using the same LEDs from Firehouse Technology. I have Red, Green and White. They are great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91