Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Upper limit for temperature?

MavicMapper

DSAR Member
Reaction score
I recently encountered a job that required me to fly in an arid region with temperatures in the high 80s/low 90s. I was able to fly the mission without significant issue, but it got me thinking about how temperate can impact the drone and equipment.

I was having to cool my batteries using my car’s AC system between flights/charging, which wasn’t a big deal as I usually do that anyway. But I also had my iPad overheat on one occasion and lost video transmission (thankful that I fly within VLOS). I’m wondering if the cooling capacity of the drone itself is diminished at higher temperatures? I’m using a M2P for reference.

Has anyone else had similar experiences, and if so, what is the upper limit for temperature and/or humidity in which one can safely fly? I want to be sure I can avoid these situations in the future.

I recently encountered a job that required me to fly in an arid region with temperatures in the high 80s/low 90s. I was able to fly the mission without significant issue, but it got me thinking about how temperate can impact the drone and equipment.

I was having to cool my batteries using my car’s AC system between flights/charging, which wasn’t a big deal as I usually do that anyway. But I also had my iPad overheat on one occasion and lost video transmission (thankful that I fly within VLOS). I’m wondering if the cooling capacity of the drone itself is diminished at higher temperatures? I’m using a M2P for reference.

Has anyone else had similar experiences, and if so, what is the upper limit for temperature and/or humidity in which one can safely fly? I want to be sure I can avoid these situations in the future.

I've flown in the desert in the summer when it was over 100 degrees. The biggest concern was that the iPad got too hot and greyed out. I learned to use two, and when it got too hot, I put in between two ice packs and used the other one.

The other factor was batteries. During a mission, at battery swaps, they had to cool down before they'd start to recharge, so we had to keep our SUV running with the air conditioning on while they were plugged into the chargers. We had a generator providing power to the chargers and a long cord leading into the SUV.

It was a bit of a hassle, but overall it worked.

"high 80s/low 90s" In Arizona we call that winter.? 105-110 is common in the summer (now). I try not to push the batteries too hard in anything over 100. I try to fly early in the mornings. The Ipads are useless in this heat and need two, one in the cooler and one flying.

Recently got me a Samsung Tab A which can take the heat better than the Ipads (downside is Android and many apps won't run). Did a test and the Samsung was still going at 113, well past the point the Ipad crapped out.

heat test.jpg

Thanks for the input. I won’t worry about it unless it gets over 90, since that was when the iPad started acting up. It doesn’t get very hot here in Oregon, only breaks 100 a few days out of the year.

My P4 uses an iPad on several occasions with temps in the Mid 80s the iPad has over heated. I also have a Mavic Pro 2, last week I was flying the temp was 92, Was flying for a bout 20 minutes, when I land to change out the battery, after I took the battery out, the bottom of the battery had significantly swelled out, indicating over heating and failure. I am going to suggest that temps over 85 be flown in caution and over 90 with a big bad warning, additionally unless I am working and I must fly, I certainly dont like flying outside when its 90 lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV