Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Using DJI GOGGLES for Real Estate pictures?

lalvar41

Reaction score
Website
www.westonaerialphoto.com
I am not a kid, but I was wondering if it makes sense to use the DJI goggles to take pictures to avoid sun glare in our iPads at the remote control. Will you see all controls and menues of DJI Go 4 inside the goggle, or do you see just a virtual view of what the drone sees? I've never worn a virtual goggle. Thanks in advance for your comments.

First off you're not "legally" able to use most goggles because you're giving up See & Avoid aspect of flight.

I've not used any of the newer goggles but when I did have some the display we minimal in terms of flight telemetry. Newer hardware and updated software may have resolved that issue.

I am not a kid, but I was wondering if it makes sense to use the DJI goggles to take pictures to avoid sun glare in our iPads at the remote control. Will you see all controls and menues of DJI Go 4 inside the goggle, or do you see just a virtual view of what the drone sees? I've never worn a virtual goggle. Thanks in advance for your comments.
As long as you have a spotter with you, you could still use the DJI goggles. There are also other styles of goggles that allow you to see through them, at the same time as the image is also projected inside, which are "legal" to use as a sole operator, because they still offer "see and avoid." capability. If you really have a glare problem, find some shade or use a hood instead. If you have a spotter, nothing beats a simple black cloth over your head and the iPad for best viewing of the screen.:cool:

I use shades on my tablet and they work very well. Shade when available also helps. I tried a set of googles my grandson had and they did work, but I just didn't feel safe with them even with him standing next to me as a spotter. I like being able to see my entire environment.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I use shades on my tablet and they work very well. Shade when available also helps. I tried a set of googles my grandson had and they did work, but I just didn't feel safe with them even with him standing next to me as a spotter. I like being able to see my entire environment.
I'm not good at delegating either! If you want a job done right, do it yourself! :cool:

Get Crystalsky Ultrabright. Best monitor for your real estate needs. Mobile devices don’t come even close.

20180526_152603.jpg I am using a 1000 nit external monitor - same brightness as the Crystalsky. The dual monitors is a bit heavy and does not work well with a neck strap so I fashioned a table using a photography tripod.

Unless using those see through type goggles wouldn't the spotter need to be the person using the goggles - not the person controlling the drone? 20180526_152144.jpg

Reactions: Moosewax
The CS Ultrabright is actually 2000nit . Why do you need 2 monitors? Yes, I think you would need the spotter. At least that is what I’m reading on the forums, however the part 107 materials clearly states no binoculars or similar tools are not permitted while operating UASs commercially. I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable flying without seeing what is happening around my drone.

I use two monitors because I could not find a tablet and hood combination that worked well in bright sunlight conditions. I considered the possibility of using goggles like the OP suggested but felt like it was not a legal option. Did not want to spend big bucks on the Crystal sky- my external monitor was less than $200.

View attachment 556 I am using a 1000 nit external monitor - same brightness as the Crystalsky. The dual monitors is a bit heavy and does not work well with a neck strap so I fashioned a table using a photography tripod.
I like the tripod table! Very clever, but simple! :cool:
Might work as a remote launching pad, too, over rough terrain!

Reactions: BigAl07
Thx. The main downside to it is that it is more stuff to lug around. But even without the external monitor I was never comfortable with the Controller and tablet dangling from a neck strap. And if I were to go the goggle route, I would probably be ripping them off to get VLOS. Old habits die hard - been flying rc planes for almost 20 yrs without fpv!

View attachment 556 I am using a 1000 nit external monitor - same brightness as the Crystalsky. The dual monitors is a bit heavy and does not work well with a neck strap so I fashioned a table using a photography tripod.

Unless using those see through type goggles wouldn't the spotter need to be the person using the goggles - not the person controlling the drone? View attachment 557

BryanD,

Nice setup!

What is the name of that monitor mount that holds 2 monitors? Did you buy it or make it yourself?
I have been wanting something similar myself, sometimes I want my FPV cam feed with my payload mapping feed at the same time.

BryanD,

Nice setup!

What is the name of that monitor mount that holds 2 monitors? Did you buy it or make it yourself?
I have been wanting something similar myself, sometimes I want my FPV cam feed with my payload mapping feed at the same time.
I got it at evolution3d.com. A little pricey for a piece of plastic but it fits my need perfectly, it is well designed and very sturdy. There are two places to connect a neck strap but with my setup it doesn't balance well with a standard neck strap - hence the tripod.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moosewax
I got it at evolution3d.com. A little pricey for a piece of plastic but it fits my bed perfectly, ous well designed and very sturdy. There are two places to connect a neck strap but with my setup it doesn't balance well with a standard neck strap - hence the tripod.
Thanks BryanD!

I use a Hoodman sunhood with the extension and an iPad Mini 4. It blocks all the sun out and lets you look up at your bird quickly. It has an area near the iPad to use the touchscreen when necessary. Not perfect but very functional.

Attachments

• 4D9696FF-EB13-4F3A-99D6-1763FB84FE16.png
    4D9696FF-EB13-4F3A-99D6-1763FB84FE16.png
    8.6 MB · Views: 4
It looks like that blocks the sun very well. If you can get to the touch screen easily then I would say that is perfect.

It looks like that blocks the sun very well. If you can get to the touch screen easily then I would say that is perfect.

Once you learn the trick to use the touchscreen it is pretty easy. When you need to touch the right side of the screen you use your left hand and right hand for the left side of the screen. You have to do this for those X outs up in the extreme corners.

I use a Hoodman sunhood with the extension and an iPad Mini 4. It blocks all the sun out and lets you look up at your bird quickly. It has an area near the iPad to use the touchscreen when necessary. Not perfect but very functional.

That's exactly what we use and it works splendidly. I highly suggest it. We use it on an iPad 2017 and it does an outstanding job. A bit bulky but comes off in mere seconds if I don't need to use it.

Once you learn the trick to use the touchscreen it is pretty easy. When you need to touch the right side of the screen you use your left hand and right hand for the left side of the screen. You have to do this for those X outs up in the extreme corners.

BINGO! It took me a moment or two to figure out the "method". My big fat hands & fingers exasperated the issue but the above method works perfectly. With the "hinged" extension it's easy to get to the iPad even for advanced tasks like programming Litchi in the field etc.

Reactions: Wilson Lake Drone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM