Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Video critique request

R.Perry

Reaction score
I just published my latest video on Utube looking for some feedback from you pros. I'm still attempting to learn video, and have a ways to go. I'm not looking for affirmation but constructive criticism. Would really appreciate some feedback

Hi R.Perry,

Pretty good video. I want to give you my basic rules based on my experience doing the same type of flights in this video...
It appears this was an automated flight and you manually adjusted the gimbal pitch while flying to frame the subject buildings.
-I suggest using Litchi App with Curved waypoints (Path Mode = 'Curved Turns)', with no POI, but a custom Heading.

-Manually adjust Pitch of gimbal. (lower the sensitivity of your gimbal adjustment so it is smoother and not jerky)
-Make sure your exposure is correct and locked. (I think yours looked fine)
-Have Forward facing shots on the perimeter where edge of property is on edge of frame. Too much sideways movement isn't good.
-Try to get your clips lined up in an orderly fashion if possible where it is easy to follow where you are in the property.
-Also make sure transitions are directionally similar. ex. (Try not to have Left to Right pan switch to Right to Left pan suddenly.)
-Add music or commentary if possible
-Have variety of heights in the video. Even down to 5-10 ft. It will add depth to your video. (Edit it to "work" you way in and out of scene)
-Focus on people working on the site, or equipment moving. (If there is a vehicle in the shot moving through site, let it be the subject as you fly through. Almost "following" it through the site.)
-Do Flyovers looking straight down on interesting parts.
-Capture cranes lifting. (be careful not to be in their line of site, they don't like that. And get the crane operators permission.)
-If you can fly through structures when no one is working in that area, that adds depth.
-Capture a location perspective shot using the horizon to see where the property is in relation to surroundings.
-In general, have your camera pointed out more than down)
-Also make sure the color grading is pleasing to the eye... not to cool or warm. Also make sure the saturation isn't too high either. If it looks good to your eye and someone else in the office, then it will look good to the customer.

These are just a few of the top of my head... I hope it helps. Video is harder to do professionally, but more fun when you are done with it.

I did a lot of manual flying over sites to get the extra shots I wanted. Usually the customer just want's the information, but if you give them a well made video, they can use it in advertising and promotion which makes you look better and makes your work more valuable to them.

Good luck, and keep moving forward!!

<><

Reactions: skiptv and BigAl07
Thank you for your insights. You are correct it is an automated flight. As for the crane I can only do these flight during the lunch break to avoid overflights of people, but it would be interesting to capture crane movement.
Actually I was over exposed and had to correct it so I need to work on that. As I looked at the pan you are right, just didn't look right.
My client tells me what they want captured, and the flight path they prefer so I don't have a lot of choices in that.
I know my gimbal movements need to be smoother. The video isn't a group of clips, it is one flight and the transitions are for the purpose of trying to keep the video in the four minute range.
I will need to change the flight path to keep the camera pointed out. The beginning of the flight borders on the active college campus and I can not overfly any portion of the active campus so that forces me to point the camera down to capture what the client wants to see.
I don't normally have an observer, I must have an observer during these flights and my observer is only available for a very limited time, I basically have fifteen minutes to make the flight and video.
As for focusing on construction people I'm sure my client isn't the least bit interested in what they are doing. I take many stills during that does capture some people working, but that is a good point and would create more interest.
As for music, I thought of the old song "If I had a hammer" but thought better of it.
Again, thank you for your input.

Reactions: WVDronePilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM