Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

What are COAs and their uses?

Ice_Man_CPRA

Reaction score
Hello,

I am part 107 certified and a part of a drone program with my state agency. I recently heard about COAs, but am not familiar with what applications they are used for. Can anyone describe what they are and would a part 107 pilot ever have the need for one?

Thanks

Reactions: ZBlackwood
I'm curious on a deeper.more accurate explanation as well. Working for a public Electric Utility who is about to tip their toes into drones, this info could be beneficial! My very basic understanding is that COA's have the possibility of being applied to a company as opposed to an individual and can give more flying options than part 107 waivers. That may be incorrect though so I'd definitely wait for someone who actually knows to chime in too haha.

Certificates of Waiver or Authorization (COA)

A COA is a blanket authorization that allows an entity (usually Govt/Law Enforcement) to work outside of existing regulations much like a Waiver. A COA can be identical to Part 107 or it can allow for things like:

BVLOS, Flights over People, and just about anything else you can imagine. The beauty of a COA is you can have all of your "allowances" written into it so you don't have to try and get individual waivers like we do for Part 107.

The drawback to a COA is it expressly states what is allowed and you can not operate outside of those or you violate the COA. For instance a Law Enforcement operation operating under their Govt COA couldn't fly under the COA for things like Social Media/Marketing data gathering... Your COA will define your operation and defines it very matter of factly.

It's good to have BOTH in your tool bag and you determine which set of rules fit your needs at the time and make the ENTIRE FLIGHT under those rules & regs. You can NOT mix/match in the same flight.

Many Entities will start with Part 107 as a basic to get the program going "Off The Ground" and then dive into the COA process a bit later on.

I'm a little surprised (well not totally) that your instructors didn't go into this during your Part 107 training. It's one of the things we stress when teaching new operators so they can go back better armed with the knowledge to help get their Dept set up correctly from the beginning.

Safe Flights,
Allen

Last edited:
The drawback to a COA is it expressly states what is allowed and you can not operate outside of those or you violate the COA. For instance a Lawn Enforcement operation operating under their Govt COA couldn't fly under the COA for things like Social Media/Marketing data gathering... Your COA will define your operation and defines it very matter of factly.

It's good to have BOTH in your tool bag and you determine which set of rules fit your needs at the time and make the ENTIRE FLIGHT under those rules & regs. You can NOT mix/match in the same flight.

Many Entities will start with Part 107 as a basic to get the program going "Off The Ground" and then dive into the COA process a bit later on.

In our case, we're definitely starting with Part 107 just as you said. I happen to have my Part 107 for my side gig so I'll be the initial pilot more for a proof of concept type start. My own interest in drones and having my Part 107 is feeding into this and it's exciting and a bit daunting as well researching this and developing these standards and documentation from the ground floor. We do utilize a fair bit of social media and such, so having a Part 107 will be necessary for sure. It's a different ballgame flying for a public utility as opposed to my own private photo business.

Our area of operations is mostly Class G but a couple areas are Class E surface and Class D

As the program expands I can see the merits of a COA in some areas. Having both, is a great idea and in our policy draft it is a requirement for the pilots to have their 107 certificates. We're still drafting policy, SOP's, and gaining knowledge as to best practices and how to step into this. We haven't purchased a drone or anything yet for the utility until we have solidified more stuff but it's gaining excitement from the board of directors and management the more draft documents get passed around for approval and modifications.

There are a lot of great resources online and I've done a lot of reading example policies, SOP's, articles, case studies etc... as they relate to drone programs and flights.
Do you have any favorite recommendations for resources? We've considered and still are considering consulting with a company like Skyward, Dart Drones (lots of options here) just to bring in some more experience and resources to get things started.

Reactions: Ice_Man_CPRA
I'm a fan of Florida Drone Supply, FlyMotion, and AirWorx in SC. Not sure who offers what degree of support but well worth reaching out to them. Better than recreating the wheel yourself and having to learn as you make mistakes.

Hello,

I am part 107 certified and a part of a drone program with my state agency. I recently heard about COAs, but am not familiar with what applications they are used for. Can anyone describe what they are and would a part 107 pilot ever have the need for one?

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905