Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

What Would You Tell Yourself 12 Months Ago About Drones?

thecordman

Reaction score
Website
www.mydronecareer.com
If, you could travel back 12 months would you tell yourself differently about drones. For example, would you focus on a specific sector, target specific customers, put a better website together. Would you have done differently?

If, you could travel back 12 months would you tell yourself differently about drones. For example, would you focus on a specific sector, target specific customers, put a better website together. Would you have done differently?

We spent about a year and a half doing our homework and writing our policy and ops manual before we made our aircraft purchase. Then we tested and got our certification from the FAA. The only thing I would do differently would have been to beef up the initial investment and purchase an aircraft that was designed for what we actually do instead of buying a pro-sumer aircraft that was ill-suited to the task.

We didn't do these things but it's something we see just about every day for new start-up companies (in all industries)

• 1) Don't go and bust your bank getting loans for the latest/greatest equipment. Buy equipment that you can afford and when the company is doing better you can upgrade. By that time something newer/shinier will be available anyway.
  • 2) Don't buy that new car/truck etc and spend a fortune wrapping/painting it right out of the gate
  • 3) Spend the time to develop your skills (flying, photography, editing, marketing, SALES) long before you get the first client. It's hard to erase a bad first impression
  • 4) If you can start the company withOUT a loan then do it. You'll be profitable much quicker if you're not paying off loans for a startup company.
  • 5) This is my MOST important one: Take the time to develop a solid and through BUSINESS PLAN. It takes a good while but during that time you will learn your market, your competition, your industry and you will develop a marketing campaign and a pricing strategy that you can tweak going forward. Our BP saved us a lot of time and money from the get-go.

Reactions: R Martin
5) This is my MOST important one: Take the time to develop a solid and through BUSINESS PLAN. It takes a good while but during that time you will learn your market, your competition, your industry and you will develop a marketing campaign and a pricing strategy that you can tweak going forward. Our BP saved us a lot of time and money from the get-go.

But Master Aliwon, can't you just wing it?

Reactions: BigAl07
I would have told myself to give up racing and concentrate on Aerial Photography as soon as possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM