Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Which drone?

Chad80

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I been flying drones for a few years now (hobby only) and now I'm going into commerical. I have my Part 107 and I'm preparing to get insurance prior to my first job. I originally was going to make the bulk of my business Real Estate but as many of us know there isn't much money in it but I will still include it in my services. Mapping/Surveying is the route I'm planning to go and my question is what drone is good to start off with? I know I will eventually have to upgrade and buy more drones as the business grows.

Here are my choices, the first 2 I found for sale used.

Inspire 1 v2 Pro w/X5R

Matrice M100 w/X3

Evo 2 Pro

I know that the Inspire 1 batteries are no longer made and can be difficult to get. I don't mind that especially if it gets me going at first and then upgrade shortly after.

I came across someone selling a Matrice 100 with 6 batteries, controller, x3, charger and props for just under $2000.

The Evo 2 I would buy new if that was the way to go.

Sorry for the long ramble and I do appreciate any help

~Chad

Last edited:
Mapping/Surveying is the route I'm planning to go and my question is what drone is good to start off with?
Here are my choices, the first 2 I found for sale used.
Inspire 1 v2 Pro w/X5R
Matrice M100 w/X3
Evo 2 Pro
Apart from not being able to buy batteries for it, the Inspire 1 is a big, heavy clunker with very short flight times.
You've missed the best mapping and general purpose drone - the Phantom 4 pro and the Mavic 2 pro would be a close 2nd choice.

Reactions: dronie326
Here is my take on the Inspire 1, It's old and no longer supported by Drone Deploy, don't know about other mapping software. Go with the Inspire 2 and the best camera you can afford.
What I like about the Inspire 2 is it carries two batteries, if you have a battery failure you can still get home.
Also with the Inspires you can have a camera person and the pilot. Meaning the pilot can have constant FPV no matter where the camera is pointing.

EVO 2 Pro all the way. M100 is quite old and for that price those batteries better be brand new. Inspire 1 same issue, batteries are becoming scarce.

EVO 2 Pro is an all around capable system with mission planning built right into the app. Plus if you decide to go thermal in the future you can swap the 6K camera for a 640T Dual thermal payload (radiometric).

I have been flying an Inspire 1v2 for a few years now, I agree about the battery situation, but for stability while flying, unless you're flying a Matrice the Inspire is remarkably stable. And I mean flight characteristics not camera stability, especially if you're doing any type of tower inspection with possible guy wires or other obstacles. My opinion only.

Question of mapping has been a long debate... multiple threads on subject.

One area of discussion is the camera and being rolling or mechanical, used to be a strong consideration... not so much with improved software. But if wanting the mechanical, within the DJI series; the P4P is mechanical up to 1/2000. The same camera for Inspire 2, Matrice M200 or M600 platforms is the X4S. The X7 is also mechanical up to 1/1000.

I like the I2 for the dual batteries and heating ability. The LightBridge RC I feel gives good confidence... and coupled with a sharp lens... ie: 12mm M.Zuiko makes a great package.

Although, I've found the M2P (or MP) to provide great results too and much quicker to get airborne.

The I1 remains a good overall platform, and fresh batteries by Kopter help keep it a good option if desired. The simplicity of the I1 without the OA and new features provide positive points too... the XT 640R on the I1 is still a nice setup... although not in this discussion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905