Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Why you should stop using AirMap

mrhinman

Reaction score
AirMap is probably one of the more popular apps that many UAS pilots use to determine airspaces and obtain LAANC approvals.

Unfortunately, most folks don't know that AirMap is working against the drone industry (USA).

That's right, the people at AirMap are supporting harmful legislation that, if enacted, will be detrimental to both the hobby and commercial drone industry.

AirMap and their co-founders have been supporters of two things: 1) The "patchwork of laws" scenario, where municipalities will be able to control airspaces below 400 feet and 2) The Tort Law Relating to Drones (Uniform Law Commission).

The "patchwork of laws" basically would allow for a variety of airspaces that municipalities and other entities could create. Imagine living in an area like Dallas where little cities are all connected to each other, and every few miles having a completely different set of airspace rules and permits to go along with that.

The Tort Law Relating to Drones would allow for property owners to file civil litigation against any drone pilot who "trespasses" by air over their property. Again, an effort to basically take the NAS and give it to anyone they want. And, allowing someone to sue you for photography that includes their property in any shape or form.

These reasons are why I constantly preach against AirMap and their co-founders (especially Gregory McNeal). These people, despite their outward appearance of supporting drone operators, are working behind the scenes to control it much to detriment of drone pilots across the USA.

If you're seeking alternatives to LAANC and airspace information, some good alternatives include Kittyhawk and Skyward.io. It should be noted that Kittyhawk and DJI recently separated themselves from AirMap.

It's your choice if you wish to continue using AirMap. But just remember if you do, you are supporting a company who does not have your best interests in mind.

Links:

Unfortunately, most folks don't know that AirMap is working against the drone industry

It's been no secret. But always good to remind folks.

Greg McNeil is an interesting guy. Prior to AirMap he was quite a proponent for commercial and recreational drone ops in the U.S., often airing his positive opinions as a Forbes editorial writer. Upon leaving his Forbes writing behind to form the partnership that became AirMap that partnership promptly took advantage of a DJI partnership that provided the funding needed to create the NFZ mapping foundation for DJI’s GEO.

It became obvious that money talks, like any hooker they had a price, and loyalty walks. But he wasn’t the first to put loyalty up for sale. There was another proponent for sUAS that sold out to the same people before him after gaining notoriety for defending “the little guy” against the FAA.

Sadly, our elected officials follow the same path but use lobbyists and political action committees to cover it up.

Reactions: Phaedrus
LAANC apps... are there the 3 app: Airmap, KittyHawk, Skyward... any others worth a look?

I was experimenting with the LAANC within Airmap app. In my city, within 3-4 miles of airport and within the main core of the downtown, although not in the flight path to airports. Selected an area that indicated 300 feet, and was pretty neat how within 1 hour approval returned... in which I later canceled.

The area of interest was an old riverside 2-3 block section that was torn down & lot cleared in Mid-Winter. It's now getting ready for new structure. Wanted to fly it for initial recording survey and continue with same program thoughout 3-4 year build.

Noticed with new LAANC updates released in May, that section of ground indicated "0" and all the sections around it varied from 200 to 400 feet. Submitted a request 3 days out for 200 feet, came back showing Authorization Pending & up to 30 days; and 2 days later received a cancel due to time required. Tried it again further out, placed 4 requests about 1 week apart with same manual authorization message.

Few weeks later, had a call from local ATC requesting I give them a call for a discussion.
Called and they explained they had set that sector as Zero to force a manual authorization, to allow a conversation and to have an understanding. They requested (didn't mandate) I contact the Hospital Heli Desks prior to any flights, and provided to me each Heli Desk number. I indicated that was very acceptable, and he basically indicated going forward he'll authorize any altitude needed with the understanding that I'd coordinate with Heli desks, and add notes to comment section that I've coordinated with each Hospital.
Very pleasant conversation, very workable ATC... couldn't get a friendlier & understanding ATController.

My point, I wasn't aware there was still a manual interaction. I was a bit surprised to see a "zero" in the middle of city that was mainly 200-400 feet sections until closer to airport. In reality I had expected the approval to go negative and ended with a pleasant conversation and excellent cooperation.

Haven't examined the other Apps... do they all have a "comment" section the ATC was referring?
Also, is the Skyward a iOS app only, I don't see it on Android side and did find it on iOS Apps.

Skyward is strictly web at the moment (best for 107 pilots), but Kittyhawk has a great app and LAANC is a piece of cake with it.

--
M

LAANC apps... are there the 3 app: Airmap, KittyHawk, Skyward... any others worth a look?

I was experimenting with the LAANC within Airmap app. In my city, within 3-4 miles of airport and within the main core of the downtown, although not in the flight path to airports. Selected an area that indicated 300 feet, and was pretty neat how within 1 hour approval returned... in which I later canceled.

The area of interest was an old riverside 2-3 block section that was torn down & lot cleared in Mid-Winter. It's now getting ready for new structure. Wanted to fly it for initial recording survey and continue with same program thoughout 3-4 year build.

Noticed with new LAANC updates released in May, that section of ground indicated "0" and all the sections around it varied from 200 to 400 feet. Submitted a request 3 days out for 200 feet, came back showing Authorization Pending & up to 30 days; and 2 days later received a cancel due to time required. Tried it again further out, placed 4 requests about 1 week apart with same manual authorization message.

Few weeks later, had a call from local ATC requesting I give them a call for a discussion.
Called and they explained they had set that sector as Zero to force a manual authorization, to allow a conversation and to have an understanding. They requested (didn't mandate) I contact the Hospital Heli Desks prior to any flights, and provided to me each Heli Desk number. I indicated that was very acceptable, and he basically indicated going forward he'll authorize any altitude needed with the understanding that I'd coordinate with Heli desks, and add notes to comment section that I've coordinated with each Hospital.
Very pleasant conversation, very workable ATC... couldn't get a friendlier & understanding ATController.

My point, I wasn't aware there was still a manual interaction. I was a bit surprised to see a "zero" in the middle of city that was mainly 200-400 sections until closer to airport. In reality I had expected the approval to go negative and ended with a pleasant conversation and excellent cooperation.

Haven't examined the other Apps... do they all have a "comment" section the ATC was referring?
Also, is the Skyward a iOS app only, I don't see it on Android side and did find it on iOS Apps.

Reactions: dougcjohn
Skyward is strictly web at the moment (best for 107 pilots), but Kittyhawk has a great app and LAANC is a piece of cake with it.

--
M
There is a Skyward InFlight App for iOS... but it does indicate available to Business & Enterprise Subscriptions and DJI platforms. Are the biz & ent plans for a fee or biz free?

One of the little things I like about Airmap is the altitude limit placed on the grid itself. When looking at streets & buildings on map, I find it convenient to see the listed altitude for section. It helps to quickly identify the "0" or "100" sections more quickly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV