Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

With LAANC active, are NOTAMS through1800wxbrief.com redundant?

I will continue to file with 1800wxbrief.com even after LAANC becomes available in my area. LAANC only applies to areas around airports. And even though manned aircraft should not be flying below 500 ft elsewhere, I've seen helicopters doing just that - and often it is a police helicopter flying low. So I'd rather give fair warning to all fliers that I will be sharing the air with them for a short time, just to add more safety.

Does anyone have knowledge or opinions on this?
LAANC is an ATC clearance, they know but no one else. A NOTAM is still a good idea to notify aviators of your operation. I used to think 1800wxbrief UAS filings were available to pilots HERE, however, they do not come up. I only use ENII to file NOTAMs. Just my preference.

Capture.JPG
Filing a NOTAM is kinda like wearing a belt AND suspenders. Both are an added measure of safety to avoid a mishap.
I'd love to hear your opinions about this "NOTAM" filed by a public agency recently for one year. 8 NM diameter. Hey aviators; we are giving you notice we "may be flying anywhere within these 4,200 sq. miles at any time day or night during the next 12 months(!!!)"

Last edited:
I will continue to file with 1800wxbrief.com even after LAANC becomes available in my area. LAANC only applies to areas around airports. And even though manned aircraft should not be flying below 500 ft elsewhere, I've seen helicopters doing just that - and often it is a police helicopter flying low. So I'd rather give fair warning to all fliers that I will be sharing the air with them for a short time, just to add more safety.

Very wise on your part, Remember crop dusters don't normally get over 500 feet unless they are over an incorporated area and don't want to upset the boys in the tower.

Reactions: Mike Flys
Didn’t know you could have a NOTAM valid for a year! Having said that, it’s just another piece of information to log in your brain as part of any pre-flight prep.

We need an ADS-B solution/incorporation for or commercial drone ops. If anyone has seen any info regarding this, please post in a new thread.

Thanks

And I'd add, don't confuse a DROTAM with a NOTAM.

I guess I am the odd guy out. If I'm operating in an area that in most cases will not have manned aircraft below 500', and is nowhere near established heli ops, I do not file a NOTAM or DROTAM whether I'm in uncontrolled or controlled airspace with approval unless directed by the COA. In the event that a heli or other aircraft does happen to approach (never has happened yet), I can easily just maneuver if needed. If I were to get an Airspace Approval for the immediate approach or departure end of a runway, that may be different and I would not be surprised if it required a NOTAM if not tower controlled as in the case of Surface Class E.

View attachment 618
I'd love to hear your opinions about this "NOTAM" filed by a public agency recently for one year. 8 NM diameter. Hey aviators; we are giving you notice we "may be flying anywhere within these 4,200 sq. miles at any time day or night during the next 12 months(!!!)"
The acceptable language here I think would be somewhere along the lines of terminally lazy? Other than that, I'm not touching it....

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ

I didn't know we could file with them. That's a good idea.

But manned airplanes can legally can fly well below 500 feet, all the way down to the deck, so long as they are 500' "away" from a building or person.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker