Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

0 Grid Zone - which is why requesting Waiver/Auth - DOH

b-c

Reaction score
Website
www.sclr.org
Currently watching this thread / Video / Presentation...

our other Pilot as well as another company have requested airspace authorization Waivers for Class D airport
airport diagram map with R Traffic pattern - which does include our needed area. (however we are needing low AGL - below the obstruction alt)

1149 skyvector overview of airport 1150 airport map detail (note obstruction near red x)1152 0 Grid

So we know its a 0 Grid... which is why there is a waiver process - setup a date time to fly an area with CT Knowledge
our goal would be setup a monthly flight of an area monitoring a construction progress of a 4 story building which is currently about 40-50% complete at the moment.
(several have already been denied after closer to 120 days of waiting for responses.)
(a little frustrated the reason for denial was already stated and known which is why the waiver was requested)

The denials have come back with - "not granted......sorry.... in a 0 Grid Zone...." Which we knew before we started and were fully aware of the current grid issue...

now for the fun - which I don't believe was fully given in the request, and I might re-attempt a request.

Building we are wanting to get construction shots and mapping of its area is Taller than our requested flight Alt originally...
Obstructions - High Transmission lines are also in the area with Towers reaching ~160' AGL range noted on Street Maps.

1151 red x showing power transmission lines1150 transmission tower - our site is nearly at the tower same grid and S. of it - all Low Alt

Generally wondering what process others have used with supporting evidence to get a 100-180' AGL clearance for flight within a flight pattern zone very near an airport...

This case specifically though also has some good news that ground obstructions nearby are so high that our operation would be relatively safe due to any Flight at those altitude would be very obviously in trouble and other emergency operation protocols would be in effect and we'd be in danger physically if that were to be happening....

Basically - General LAANC flights would be denied in a 0 grid - but a waiver gives them advanced notice and who/what/when/where
- all the details needs to be able to safely conduct normal operations while giving normal traffic notice there is an operation in that area - (NOTAM basically correct?)

We also would have to have enough time to get our equipment unlocked by DJI / Other Providers So lead times of 3-5 days are necessary anyway
- but the current response time of 90+ days is a little extreme...
sUAS has to take into consideration weather extremes and flights and dates can't be perfectly timed.... but that is what is being requested... and we'll comply just with a slew of waivers being requested I guess....

Just want to know what would be the best most effective way to communicate the information about the site and surrounding circumstances and again if others have been successful in 0 Grid Zones

beyond that the safety measures would include Tower Communication needed in case of emergency only for notification - and that is fairly easy - simple phone call with emergency.
Can also get a scanner / use inet for flight tower monitoring of existing traffic - all easy to conform with... We would also do other saftey measures as needed as well just need clarity is all.

thanks and back to the video for seeing what options they go over as well!...
Being the primary - We Need Authorization vs a Waiver.... interesting...

Last edited:
I’ve tried the manual process (multiple times) in a O grid area, on the FAA drone zone site. It will not let me complete the waiver process because it’s in a 0 grid area. This makes no sense. Is this not the reason we file for manual waivers.

Reactions: b-c
I’ve tried the manual process (multiple times) in a O grid area, on the FAA drone zone site. It will not let me complete the waiver process because it’s in a 0 grid area. This makes no sense. Is this not the reason we file for manual waivers.
You submit a request for 0 grid through LAANC, not FAAdronezone site.

It's a Catch 22. You can only set up a monthly schedule via FAADroneZone. But if you try to use FAADroneZone, it tells you that this is a LANNC airport and therefore the LANNC system must be used. But if you try using the LANNC system, it rejects you (at least it does me) and tells you that a zero cell requires a manual authorization, and btw you can only apply for a single date. Back to FAADroneZone. Currently going around that merry-go-round. Now I'm going a different route to contact an ATC Manager at that local airport to discuss.

Last edited:
Oops, my fault. I didn’t read the OPs thread in its entirety so I didn’t realize it was a monthly operation

I have yet to have any success with receiving authorization in 0ft grid through LAANC. I don't even think I'm being denied but more like my response is just being overlooked.

The message I receive is "This flight has been canceled due to not receiving a response from the FAA within 24 hours of the requested flight." I've tried various time lengths from 10 days to the full 90 days to also adjusting my max altitude from 50ft to 150ft.

I decided to try through DroneZone and I've had success with receiving authorizations. However, I'm having to apply about a month out and hope the weather cooperates on the day that I fly. I've been specifically telling the FAA in my DroneZone form that I've been denied multiple times through LAANC.

I live in Class D airspace, and my entire community is 0" in the grid. I applied for an authorization for a specific geographic area for daily VLOS flight up to 100' altitude from now until 5/30/2020 and it was granted overnight! I specified that I would either use an air band radio or immediate call to the tower in case of a flyaway. I explained that as a private pilot I was aware of traffic patterns and would obviously give way to any low flying aircraft (helicopters I suppose). I filed my request after watching the video mentioned above. Note this was an authorization request, not a waiver request. Still call the tower every time I fly. Last weekend, they said no because of the Trump TFR, even though I wasn't in the TFR, they were redirecting all of their traffic to avoid the nearby TFR and they said that they decided on no drones. I was happy to comply.

The second part of this is that the authorization does nothing to change DJI's geofencing. So I still had to go through an unlock process every time I flew. Requested custom unlock from DJI for the same terms as the COA and it was given, so now the area is unlocked for me. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
I was given permission to fly in a Zero Grid, even though LAANC denied me. I personally contacted ATC explained my intentions, height, where, time line and reason for the flight. I too mentioned I'm a private pilot
Sanford International Airport, Florida.

Passenger jet taking off 1st pic
Control tower in the back ground, second pic

Attachments

• YUN00020.jpg
    YUN00020.jpg
    970.4 KB · Views: 15
  • YUN00021.jpg
    YUN00021.jpg
    682.5 KB · Views: 14
I was given permission to fly in a Zero Grid, even though LAANC denied me. I personally contacted ATC explained my intentions, height, where, time line and reason for the flight. I too mentioned I'm a private pilot
Sanford International Airport, Florida.

Passenger jet taking off 1st pic
Control tower in the back ground, second pic
i'm happy for you, nice to be able to bring it down to a person to person level. If I could I would. ;)
The last time I call a tower they treated me like an idiot, "Sorry, we can't do it over the phone, there's a process, LAANC, blah, blah, blah." As a certificated commercial pilot (which I stated up front) I was treated like a neighborhood kid with a drone!
The feds say there's a process but like all things government, there are exceptions. :mad:

i'm happy for you, nice to be able to bring it down to a person to person level. If I could I would. ;)
The last time I call a tower they treated me like an idiot, "Sorry, we can't do it over the phone, there's a process, LAANC, blah, blah, blah." As a certificated commercial pilot (which I stated up front) I was treated like a neighborhood kid with a drone!
The feds say there's a process but like all things government, there are exceptions. :mad:
Well that sucks! ?
What airport was this at?

LOL. Last thing I need is those folks reading this, still got to work with them. Ask me in private and I'll tell you. My point is that we have been brow beaten into buying into the standard FAA line that we should never call the tower but use LAANC or the portal, when in reality is about who you know. I'm just pissed 'cause I don't know anyone there :D

when in reality is about who you know. I'm just pissed 'cause I don't know anyone there :D
[/QUOTE]
Well, that sucks again.?
I see you wore a side arm. Thanks!
My son does, and now has a more relaxing police job in Sarasota Fl.
He use to be a Deputy Sheriff Orange County Florida. Duty in Pine Hills, call the box. Bad, bad area, a week doesn't go by some one is killed or shootings.

when in reality is about who you know. I'm just pissed 'cause I don't know anyone there :D
Well, that sucks again.?
He use to be a Deputy Sheriff Orange County Florida. Duty in Pine Hills, call the box. Bad, bad area, a week doesn't go by some one is killed or shootings.
[/QUOTE]
Well, that sucks again.?
[/QUOTE]
LOL. Tell your son to be safe, for me. Thankless job.
I still carry 24/7 (32 yrs putting bad guys in prison can make one a little paranoid) :D

Reactions: AH-1G and BigAl07
I live in Class D airspace, and my entire community is 0" in the grid. I applied for an authorization for a specific geographic area for daily VLOS flight up to 100' altitude from now until 5/30/2020 and it was granted overnight! I specified that I would either use an air band radio or immediate call to the tower in case of a flyaway. I explained that as a private pilot I was aware of traffic patterns and would obviously give way to any low flying aircraft (helicopters I suppose). I filed my request after watching the video mentioned above. Note this was an authorization request, not a waiver request. Still call the tower every time I fly. Last weekend, they said no because of the Trump TFR, even though I wasn't in the TFR, they were redirecting all of their traffic to avoid the nearby TFR and they said that they decided on no drones. I was happy to comply.

The second part of this is that the authorization does nothing to change DJI's geofencing. So I still had to go through an unlock process every time I flew. Requested custom unlock from DJI for the same terms as the COA and it was given, so now the area is unlocked for me. Hope this helps.

When you say that you received authorization until 5/30/2020, are you applying for this under a waiver or airspace authorization?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker