Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

3D printers

Orange Bird

DSAR Member
Reaction score
I have seen some comments made about using a 3D printer here. My question is anyone here have a 3D printer? I hope I can get some guidance on buying one. I’ve seen 3D printers from all price points. Some ridiculously priced low and others beyond my price range. I want something around $1000. Or less?? I want to be teach my pre teen grandsons about coding so something not too difficult. I would like it to be big enough to print replacement parts for my Phantom. TIA

Well if you are looking for a 3D printer for a grand there are a few options, but you get what you pay for. I have the Dremel and the model I have was 1800.00 and works ok, I do have some issues with it but won't go into them. Now the trick is designing the parts you want, you will need a compatible cad program to design the parts. There is a real learning curve, it isn't so much coding as it is design and know how to create 3D designs.
If you think you are going to start off making replacement parts for your drone, I hate to tell you, just ain't going to happen.
Check out some reviews, get on one of the forums, check out the various cad programs before purchasing the printer. and good luck.

Well if you are looking for a 3D printer for a grand there are a few options, but you get what you pay for. I have the Dremel and the model I have was 1800.00 and works ok, I do have some issues with it but won't go into them. Now the trick is designing the parts you want, you will need a compatible cad program to design the parts. There is a real learning curve, it isn't so much coding as it is design and know how to create 3D designs.
If you think you are going to start off making replacement parts for your drone, I hate to tell you, just ain't going to happen.
Check out some reviews, get on one of the forums, check out the various cad programs before purchasing the printer. and good luck.
Thanks I didn’t know about the cad program. What I’ve seen I was under the assumption it had its own language. Maybe I should start by getting a cad program. Any recommendations?

Another option besides CAD might be 3D modeling software. The best free one of those out there is Blender. I just don't know if it will export the type of file needed for the 3D printer -- though it probably would. But, like CAD, any 3D modeling program worth learning is going to have a fairly large learning curve. I would suggest YouTube videos for much of that. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the free CAD softwares out there.

Take a look at these. https://www.lifewire.com/top-free-cad-packages-485330

Last edited:
Reactions: R.Perry
I have had an XYZ Da Vinci 1.0 for a few years. It works, but it is a basic entry level. I have printed an new handle for my Inspire 1 case, so winner there! If I were looking to get a new printer, I would check out the lulzbot printers.
As far as cad software, I have always just used the free version of Google Sketchup. Also you can download a ton of 3D designs ready to print from sites like Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects

Reactions: R.Perry
Strange you ask.

As a builder and more, I have been 3D printing modified parts for my fleet and more. Check it out some of the works I've done...

It is crazy at the Busy Lil' Work Shop.

A FLIR Duo Pro R Lens Cap will logo and streamer.

WrOGm7Vl.jpg

Hopefully the final product.
iIFn6TUl.jpg

Prototypes and making adjustment to get it right
b1azODkl.jpg

Badges for the STEM Event I attended last weekend in Berkeley

pNxqN9cl.jpg

1uwdW0rl.jpg

V6SH7awl.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
I have a MakerBot 2x and an Ultimaker 3. The MakerBot 2x is a dual extrusion device but discontinued. The Ultimaker 3 (also duel extrusion) is twice the price (new about 4k but you can sometimes get a refurb for about 2500). The Ultimaker can print via Wi-Fi and has an internal camera for watching. Both are fantastic. I teach STEAM to 7th and 8th Graders (along with UAVs) and for software we use TinkerCAD. Terrific for everyone and especially the newly introduced. Fusion360, also free, is more of a deep dive as far as software goes - YMMV.

Reactions: Outta Control

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy