Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Airmap Denial ???

401 Feet

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Doing roof inspections of area in Class B space. Both in an outer area with 300 agl. I set my agl at 200 to ensure a buffer even though I wouldn't be exceeding 75, if that. Numerous times I've been in the area and was approved without issue. But twice now my flights have been denied without explanation or clarification. I double aced triple checked I met all criteria and was still declined. Airmap was no help. Is this an airmap issue or ATC issue? Has anyone else ever had such issue??

Doing roof inspections of area in Class B space. Both in an outer area with 300 agl. I set my agl at 200 to ensure a buffer even though I wouldn't be exceeding 75, if that. Numerous times I've been in the area and was approved without issue. But twice now my flights have been denied without explanation or clarification. I double aced triple checked I met all criteria and was still declined. Airmap was no help. Is this an airmap issue or ATC issue? Has anyone else ever had such issue??

Without the details, I would lean towards ATC. They have the final say in the end.

Reactions: BigAl07
Airspace/Air Traffic is a very DYNAMIC thing. Maintenance, Emergencies. VIP Travel, etc are all reasons why a "Standard Traffic Pattern" could change and cause an area that's normally approved to get denied.

Airspace/Air Traffic is a very DYNAMIC thing. Maintenance, Emergencies. VIP Travel, etc are all reasons why a "Standard Traffic Pattern" could change and cause an area that's normally approved to get denied.

This is what I was thinking. There maybe something unique going on in the airspace that's trigger the denial or some malfunction in the Airmap system. You can try another vendor and if both fail to provide the authorization it may be time to start making phone calls.

This is what I was thinking. There maybe something unique going on in the airspace that's trigger the denial or some malfunction in the Airmap system. You can try another vendor and if both fail to provide the authorization it may be time to start making phone calls.
I think that many operators incorrectly "assume" that all requests, if submitted at or below "grid" altitude, will be approved. That's just not the case or the grids would be an approved altitude. Airport operations are dynamic and situations arise requiring changes to ensure NAS Safety

It's important to note that there are many operators (mostly hobby but Part 107 as well) that do honestly believe that the UAS Facility Map Grid is an approved altitude. They mistakenly believe that if they stay at or below the grid altitudes they do NOT need to get LAANC approval. I've contacted the powers to be with the FAA and asked them to look into this and potentially change/add more nomenclature/banners/warnings to alert people the Grid Altitude is not an approval. It's just a "template" to explain what the max altitude in that segment might get approval.

Have had similar situations on mulitple occassions. Biggest complaint is the lack of feedback on why the denial. Makes you play "guess what's on my mind" with trying different inputs that may or may not have triggered the denial.

Reactions: BryanD
Have you tried KittyHawk/B4UFly?

Have had similar situations on mulitple occassions. Biggest complaint is the lack of feedback on why the denial. Makes you play "guess what's on my mind" with trying different inputs that may or may not have triggered the denial.

We've gotta remember this is an Automated System and they simply Block Out a section for whatever reason. Just like when they close a section of the airport it just states Closed without reasons etc.

Reactions: BryanD
I think that many operators incorrectly "assume" that all requests, if submitted at or below "grid" altitude, will be approved. That's just not the case or the grids would be an approved altitude. Airport operations are dynamic and situations arise requiring changes to ensure NAS Safety

It's important to note that there are many operators (mostly hobby but Part 107 as well) that do honestly believe that the UAS Facility Map Grid is an approved altitude. They mistakenly believe that if they stay at or below the grid altitudes they do NOT need to get LAANC approval. I've contacted the powers to be with the FAA and asked them to look into this and potentially change/add more nomenclature/banners/warnings to alert people the Grid Altitude is not an approval. It's just a "template" to explain what the max altitude in that segment might get approval.
Great point BigAl. I must admit for a short time after LANCC was implemented that I thought I was okay to fly under the altitude specified in the grid without requesting authorization.

Great point BigAl. I must admit for a short time after LANCC was implemented that I thought I was okay to fly under the altitude specified in the grid without requesting authorization.

That's a VERY common misconception.

I was actually on a Conference Call on Monday about this very issue and I've asked that it be researched and potentially different wording or something be implemented to help resolve that issue. I can fully understand where it might "seem" that's the case and I hear of statements like yours quite often.

Thanks for your input @BryanD

Reactions: 2edgesword

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905