Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

All things GCP

SkyCaptain

Reaction score
What do you guys use as your ground control? I've been thinking about knocking up some DIY markers and am looking for ideas as to here to start. Any help appreciated.

i am currently using traffic signs for parking forbbidden.
they are well visible and cheap to order, if they are made of plastic.

The activities we've had so far have "allowed" us to use small limestone rocks outlined as crosses.
Fees are good

We have used wooden 3' triangles painted red/orange and 2' foam squares checkerboard black/white. Both with holes in the middle to get accurate measurement to ground.

Wood is heavy and won't move in wind but foam is easier to carry around but must be secured to ground with survey nails.

Here is ultimate wishlist item: AeroPoints: Ground Control Points for Drone Surveys | Propeller

Reactions: dempseycreekkid
We were using 24" plywood panels painted in alternating 12" black and white squares but we switched to Propeller Aeropoints a few months back and the plywood got recycled. I'll never go back.

We have a low-tech solution that uses 5-gallon bucket lids painted with crosses and then we have 20"x20" thin aluminium targets with reflective tape (like highway signs use). Other times we just paint crosses on the ground with paint, but those are mainly checkshots.

We survey the GCPs and checks with a Trimble R10, using VRS, RTX, or corrected to a base, but we prefer the RTK networks when we are in cell range. We usually tie into several known points for verification, too.

Reactions: Outta Control
Depending on site conditions,
1. spraypaint
2. cut 1/2"x4" pre-primed molding from Home Depot or Lowes and lay 2 pieces to make an arrow or L-shape.
3. Propeller AeroPoints

I use our Trimble R10 when doing 1 or 2.

Reactions: Outta Control

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shook DroneWorks LLC