Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Amazon just got approval to use it's drones for deliveries

Stexas

Reaction score

If you want a good laugh read the comments.

I do think that if these drones are brought down by nefarious means (i.e. being shot down) Amazon has enough oomph behind it to get people in trouble in court. This could be good for other drone operators to set precedent for prosecution against those who do these types of things.

Reactions: BigAl07
Do people REALLY need to receive their order in 30 minutes? I don't think that such a benefit in delivering inexpensive lightweight products will ever outweigh the headaches that a drone delivery service is going to give Amazon, and I predict that within 5 years Amazon will completely drop the program. (In-air malfunctions, weather issues, electrical lines, birds, airspace issues, etc.) And you can bet they will be charging a super premium for a drone delivery to cover their insurance costs. I doubt if consumers will feel it is worth the added cost either. It will be a total failure. Just my opinion.

Reactions: AH-1G and R Martin
Where would a drone, capable of lofting a 55# load with an endurance sufficient for the trip out and return, drop off my package? Front yard? Driveway? Many, if not most, residential targets will present a landing issue. Heavily tree’d lots, difficult landing spaces.......this is going to be a sizable, powerful drone. An aircraft capable of delivering to my front porch is not going to be big enough to carry anything of note.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. Amazon has the resources to solve these problems. Tesla has a drone as well that they sell to law enforcement and SAR and fire departments that has a 2 hour flight time so the relatively short flight time we currently have on consumer drones is already outdated.

It will be interesting to see where these large companies take this out to and what kind of innovations they bring to the drone industry. Amazon or Tesla developing an American made drone to compete with the prominent Chinese drone companies can only mean good things for consumers.

As far as receiving an order in 30 minutes I'm a prime candidate for that service. I ordered a replacement part for my m2p and there is an Amazon distribution center an hour away from me. I would have loved to have gotten it same day and fixed my drone already instead of waiting for it to arrive tomorrow just as an example.

Local news had a story today....The Amazon drone looks like a combo fixed wing and rotor craft with 15 mile range and 5# payload:

There’s also the “mothership and drones”:

First one’s the one they showed on the news, flying.....second one....believe at your own risk.....

• Haha
Reactions: AH-1G and Stexas

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905