Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Anafi thermal?

JDL

Reaction score
Anyone using the anafi thermal for work? I’m curious if this drone is actually capable for commercial work? i.e. roof equipmen, insulator tracking and breakdow, etc

Anyone using the anafi thermal for work? I’m curious if this drone is actually capable for commercial work? i.e. roof equipmen, insulator tracking and breakdow, etc
Hate to say it but we typically don’t recommend these to our clients for commercial work. The thermal resolution of the ANAFI Thermal is not high enough for detailed commercial inspections. It will pick up the heat signatures but you need to get very close because of that low resolution. You’d be better off looking at the Autel EVO II Dual (not yet radiometric) or upcoming DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced (radiometric) which have 640 resolution.

Hate to say it but we typically don’t recommend these to our clients for commercial work. The thermal resolution of the ANAFI Thermal is not high enough for detailed commercial inspections. It will pick up the heat signatures but you need to get very close because of that low resolution. You’d be better off looking at the Autel EVO II Dual (not yet radiometric) or upcoming DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced (radiometric) which have 640 resolution.
Hello E.D. Can you share the retail price on the Mavic 2 Enterprise Adv. base model. If you can't post publicly, can you IM me. Thanks

Here is the B and H price.

I don't think that it the "Adv" model. My guess is probably $2,000 more than that

OP wanted a price on the Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced, that link you have is for the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual.

OP while you can use the thermal for a lot of use cases, it is by far a poor choice. I have done roof moisture scans, and solar panels with it and it does work. As mentioned you must be low. Also even though the Lepton sensor in the Anafi thermal has a low NETD, its lack of resolution introduces noise into the picture. NETD is the sensors ability to tell the difference between different temperatures. (Example can it tell the difference between 1 degree or 1/10 a degree or 1/100. Even flying low you could easily miss small anomalies. It would be impractical on large photovoltaic fields, but I guess would work on single family homes, but then again a handheld and a ladder would too.

Example of Roof Moisture Scan with Anafi Thermal: Mod Bit Roof covering over unknown insulation on a metal decking. The right anomaly is easy to identify without the thermal as the mod bit is pulled from the parapet wall and folded over letting water push further and further under the covering. Yes this worked well, but this is a small roof and the conditions were optimal and I knew from an interior check where the leaks were coming from.

1609814241620.png

I have done solar panels on single family homes, and yes it worked for that at 10 to 15' above. Small anomalies such as manufacturing defects, and small cracks and other cell level damage can be missed because of the low resolution noise introduced.

Also formal training as in a thermography certification is a good idea as well as a well written contract for your customers with disclaimers about what you are and are not going to do.

But you should really use a 320 or 640 resolution thermal if you want to be serious. Do yourself a favor, save the $2,000 and put it towards the Evo 2 Dual or Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced, or even the Zenmuse XT2 or XT.

Just because you can dig a hole with a garden spade, doesn't mean you should. Buy the shovel.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143