Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Any Good online classes for part 107 FAA exam

As an Advexure customer and a Gold Seal Customer.....I can recommend both! In all seriousness, Gold Seal has an outstanding program, we used them for our 8 Pilot Police UAS program (nobody has aviation experience) and we all easily passed. As an added bonus, we use their included Night Operations course to meet the FAA requirement for training related to flying UAS at night for our approved 107.29 Daylight Waiver.

Last edited:
Hello all. First post on this forum. I find it quite frustrating that for conducting research for a university, I will need a commercial license. I do understand the usefulness to know the FAA rules though and I would appreciate a fee waiver for those of us who fly for research. The main reason is that the University will NOT pay for licenses. So, I will have to pay out of my pocket for the course and for taking the test. This will be the same for my students. I do know that there is a waiver the university can apply for but I have learned that it is quite long and can be a bit involved. I suppose I will use my summer to get this started. Which one of those three online schools would eventually give non profit another discount? I especially speak for my students. Actually a group class fee would be welcome!

@hydrocynus hello and welcome to the Commercial Drone Pilots forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.

If you haven't already done so, consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members from all parts of the world. Here's a direct link to yours:

https://commercialdronepilots.com/account/personal-details

Keep in mind that a Part 107 is a lot more than a "Commercial" license. Unfortunately the FAA screwed the pooch when they allowed the name "Commercial Drone License" to be used because it's legally called Civil Operations. We are ALL Civil Operators unless we are flying under the Hobby/336 protection. If you're not flying for hobby you're a Civil Operator and thus required to be carrying Part 107 credentials.

Gold Seal UAV Ground School is an excellent option for professional and indepth training. They teach you the subject matter so you can gain the knowledge and use it going forward as opposed to "learning to pass a test'. Best of all they guarantee you pace.

They are also a SPONSOR on this forum which means a lot because without our sponsors this forum wouldn't exist.

I concur with those who recommend RemotePilot101. I thought it was a great training system that was very well presented by Jason and his crew. I also am very happy I signed up with them as the access is lifetime and will no doubt be very helpful as refresher upon Part 107 re-up.

@hydrocynus hello and welcome to the Commercial Drone Pilots forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.

If you haven't already done so, consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members from all parts of the world. Here's a direct link to yours:

https://commercialdronepilots.com/account/personal-details

Keep in mind that a Part 107 is a lot more than a "Commercial" license. Unfortunately the FAA screwed the pooch when they allowed the name "Commercial Drone License" to be used because it's legally called Civil Operations. We are ALL Civil Operators unless we are flying under the Hobby/336 protection. If you're not flying for hobby you're a Civil Operator and thus required to be carrying Part 107 credentials.

Gold Seal UAV Ground School is an excellent option for professional and indepth training. They teach you the subject matter so you can gain the knowledge and use it going forward as opposed to "learning to pass a test'. Best of all they guarantee you pace.

They are also a SPONSOR on this forum which means a lot because without our sponsors this forum wouldn't exist.

Thank you all for your answers. Remote pilot is willing to give a group discount with 5 participants. I will contact the sponsor of this great forum and see what they have to say. Do you mean that this forum also should be renamed Civiloperatordronepilots.com. :) Cheers to all.

Hello all. First post on this forum. I find it quite frustrating that for conducting research for a university, I will need a commercial license. I do understand the usefulness to know the FAA rules though and I would appreciate a fee waiver for those of us who fly for research. The main reason is that the University will NOT pay for licenses. So, I will have to pay out of my pocket for the course and for taking the test. This will be the same for my students. I do know that there is a waiver the university can apply for but I have learned that it is quite long and can be a bit involved. I suppose I will use my summer to get this started. Which one of those three online schools would eventually give non profit another discount? I especially speak for my students. Actually a group class fee would be welcome!
Just do an online search, there are more online part 107 courses than fleas on a dog....

We use and suggest Gold Seal to each of our clients. It's taught by FAA flight instructors and in a way that is consistent with FAA standards. In fact, Gold Seal is currently the ONLY FAA Approved UAS Flight School.

The best thing about Gold Seal is that they don't teach you "how to pass the test" but they teach you the subject matter so you have the knowledge to pass Real World testing (aka being a Professional Commercial Operator) and being able to do so safely.

If you're going to do it why not do it right??

"ONLY FAA Approved UAS Flight School." That statement requires a bit of clarification, Big AL. I think what you mean is that Gold Seal is the only FAA Approved Manned Aircraft Ground School that also happens to have a UAS course. Right? Big difference, as the FAA has no endorsement nor approval process for UAS schools (yet). In other words, there is no such thing as a FAA Approved UAS Flight School (yet)
Am I wrong?
As a certificated commercial pilot, I took the Gold Seal course as a refresher for my 107 exam in 2016 and agree they are pretty good.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
"ONLY FAA Approved UAS Flight School." That statement requires a bit of clarification, Big AL. I think what you mean is that Gold Seal is the only FAA Approved Manned Aircraft Ground School that also happens to have a UAS course. Right? Big difference, as the FAA has no endorsement nor approval process for UAS schools (yet). In other words, there is no such thing as a FAA Approved UAS Flight School (yet)
Am I wrong?
As a certificated commercial pilot, I took the Gold Seal course as a refresher for my 107 exam in 2016 and agree they are pretty good.

At the time I posted that is was 100% accurate. Since that time the FAA has rescinded their "wording" until they make some revisions. Apparently other UAS flight schools didn't like the fact they couldn't get the same accreditation and lodged a complaint about it. Silly if you ask me but that's the society we currently live in.

I saw the FAA doc with my own eyes but once the complaint was lodged it wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

At the time I posted that is was 100% accurate. Since that time the FAA has rescinded their "wording" until they make some revisions. Apparently other UAS flight schools didn't like the fact they couldn't get the same accreditation and lodged a complaint about it. Silly if you ask me but that's the society we currently live in.

I saw the FAA doc with my own eyes but once the complaint was lodged it wasn't worth the paper it was written on.
Thanks for the clarification. I try to stay on top of these issues and thought something got by me there. I don't see how the feds can "approve" one school w/o a published process to gain such approval. We know the federal government would never engage in such favoritism...;)

Thanks for the clarification. I try to stay on top of these issues and thought something got by me there. I don't see how the feds can "approve" one school w/o a published process to gain such approval. We know the federal government would never engage in such favoritism...;)

Maybe that's why their report was withdrawn. I don't know any more than what I've posted above.

No favoritism was involved and this was a standard Part 141 approval. It was approved on October 12, 2017. The course underwent the same indepth scrutiny that any other Part 141 program undergoes, prior to approval being given.

Reactions: BigAl07
The 107 test isn't that difficult and I would think the average person could study the material, take the practice test, and easily pass the 107 test. This is just my opinion, but from what I have heard these courses are expensive.

No favoritism was involved and this was a standard Part 141 approval. It was approved on October 12, 2017. The course underwent the same indepth scrutiny that any other Part 141 program undergoes, prior to approval being given.

Good for you guys to go the extra mile. Just wanted to ensure this point is clear; there is no FAA requirement to approve UAS courses nor instructors (yet).

I referred RemotePilot101 to a friend after reviewing a few sites for him. After contacting the on-line company, I found the owner, Jason, and his support staff to be very active and experienced. Anyways, King, Gold Seal, etc...are all excellent. I liked being able to get really quick responses and they also guaranteed paying for the Part 107 tests that their clients didn't succeed in the first attempt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku