Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Anyone using Multispectral Converted Camera Drones?

AMann

Reaction score
I am planning on converting my spare M2P to a multispectral camera drone- getting the filter kit from Kolari Vision. I’m planning on using it for doing artistic B&W and false color landscape photos, and possibly for work doing plant monitoring imagery.

I’m just wondering if anyone has done the same and what filters they are using, and if so, can you post some results?

Reactions: rainy
I'm not an expert on multispectral operations, but I'm not sure simply adding a filter to RGB camera is going to produce optimum results. If I were going to begin offering that service to agricultural clients, I'd want to conduct lots of test flights, plenty of case study, and QA/QC. It seems like there would be a lot of liability if I tell farmers what to apply to a field or not based on my MSI flight.

I would want to be certain my data is good and there's no doubt about my equipment from flight to flight and through the processing. You need to find a multispectral expert with experience. That'd be my first step. Do experts use DJI for multispectral? Is the M3 Multispectral great or not? Why is Micasense the industry leader? Etc...

You made some good points- definitely worth getting a tested and calibrated system for doing analytical studies for commercial agricultural use. In my case I'm interested in using it for doing riparian plant mapping and monitoring (such as for dewatering affects due to construction and for wetland delineation), in addition to use as an artistic tool.

These were my first test images after I took out the hot filter in my M2P camera and installed a IR “chrome” filter on the front. The filter is pretty good at picking out high IR reflectance in these cottonwoods indicating the healthiest trees with more chlorophyll getting the most water vs the shrubs and trees in the drier parts of this sandy (and dry only on the surface) annual river channel:

San Jacinto River Bridge.jpegSan Jacinto River.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teas2024