Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Authorization for flying higher than LAANC/ flying at night

DronyRomo

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am a Part107-licensed videographer for a University located not far from a Class C Airport. I'm interested in getting authorizations for two things:
-Flying above the 200ft LAANC limit
-Flying at night

I'm a bit confused about what type of waiver to fill out for this.
As I was filling out the airspace authorization waiver on the DroneZone website, as soon as I identified the airport, I got a message saying that since this is a LAANC-capable airport, I should use LAANC to get authorization. But LAANC only allows up to 200ft. So where do I find the right waiver to fill out?
Also, can I just fill out a single waiver requesting the higher altitude authorization at all hours, or do I need to fill out a separate one for flying at night?

I've spent countless hours familiarizing myself with the regulations so it's quite frustrating to still be so lost. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Day time waivers are submitted separately. Separate application via DroneZone.
----------------------------------------------------------

Authorizations are also a separate issue and you must make a strong case to exceed the LAANC 200 feet to the feds, very difficult to do. The LAANC FAM maximum altitude has been determined the max altitude to maintain a safe airspace. You should apply but don't expect approval.

To submit a "further coordination request" if you need to fly above the designated altitude ceiling in a UAS Facility Map, up to 400 feet. Applicants may apply up to 90 days in advance of a flight and the approval is coordinated manually through the FAA. (available to Part 107 pilots only).

If you are planning an operation in controlled airspace that requires a waiver AND an airspace authorization you must apply for both through the FAA's DroneZone.

Did you try to submit and get denied? I use AirMap and you request what you need and it is yea or nay. They ADVISE not contacting the tower, but I do it before and after every flight. Even when I don't need to. If you fly often in those air spaces you can build a rapport with them and they become more comfortable. If you don't get an answer or they seem agitated then don't worry about it, but as I stated above if it is required then they need to comply.

If the airport you are flying near does not support LAANC, then if you are flying for purely recreational purposes, you must provide notification to the airport operator and ATC prior to your flight. You should use the telephone contact information to do this. As long as they do not specifically deny your flight, you only have to provide notification.

Day time waivers are submitted separately. Separate application via DroneZone.
----------------------------------------------------------

Authorizations are also a separate issue and you must make a strong case to exceed the LAANC 200 feet to the feds, very difficult to do. The LAANC FAM maximum altitude has been determined the max altitude to maintain a safe airspace. You should apply but don't expect approval.

Thanks for the reply. As I stated, DroneZone won't allow me to continue the application after I identify the LAANC airport. It displays a message telling me to go through LAANC. But LAANC doesn't allow a way to get authorization for a long period of time, just specific one-time operations, right? Is there a way to submit an application outside of DroneZone? I must be missing something here.

The nature of my job does not allow me to know 90 days ahead of time where and when I need to fly. As a videographer in the marketing department of a university, it's usually a "hey can you get me an aerial shot of so-and-so building sometime this week" type of situation. That's why I'm hoping to find a way to get a waiver that is valid for at least a year. I'd be happy to call the tower before and after each flight to request authorization, but first I need permission from the FAA, correct?

To submit a "further coordination request" if you need to fly above the designated altitude ceiling in a UAS Facility Map, up to 400 feet. Applicants may apply up to 90 days in advance of a flight and the approval is coordinated manually through the FAA. (available to Part 107 pilots only).

If you are planning an operation in controlled airspace that requires a waiver AND an airspace authorization you must apply for both through the FAA's DroneZone.

Did you try to submit and get denied? I use AirMap and you request what you need and it is yea or nay. They ADVISE not contacting the tower, but I do it before and after every flight. Even when I don't need to. If you fly often in those air spaces you can build a rapport with them and they become more comfortable. If you don't get an answer or they seem agitated then don't worry about it, but as I stated above if it is required then they need to comply.

If the airport you are flying near does not support LAANC, then if you are flying for purely recreational purposes, you must provide notification to the airport operator and ATC prior to your flight. You should use the telephone contact information to do this. As long as they do not specifically deny your flight, you only have to provide notification.

DroneZone does not allow me to continue the application after I identify the airport near my proposed operation, because it's a LAANC airport.
If I understand correctly, AirMap only allows you to submit requests for specific flights with a concrete date and time. I rarely have the luxury of knowing when and where I need to fly 90 days ahead of time, so I was hoping to obtain permission for a time period of a year or so. Is this possible?

DroneZone does not allow me to continue the application after I identify the airport near my proposed operation, because it's a LAANC airport.
If I understand correctly, AirMap only allows you to submit requests for specific flights with a concrete date and time. I rarely have the luxury of knowing when and where I need to fly 90 days ahead of time, so I was hoping to obtain permission for a time period of a year or so. Is this possible?
That's correct and probably means that they are not checking their terminal very often. I had this same problem last week and ended up calling the tower and that's exactly what he told me. He was actually apologetic and responded promptly after I sent it in again.

FWIW I have recently gotten LAANC authorizations to fly to 100 feet in zero grids of KLAX airspace. I used Airmap for both and both were received in less than 8 hours. Both are within the last month.

I used Airmap because I did it from my phone and I do not have Kittyhawk on my phone since I use them from my computer.

FWIW I have recently gotten LAANC authorizations to fly to 100 feet in zero grids of KLAX airspace. I used Airmap for both and both were received in less than 8 hours. Both are within the last month.

I used Airmap because I did it from my phone and I do not have Kittyhawk on my phone since I use them from my computer.
Including day time waiver in same LAX airspace?

Has anyone successfully been approved for further coordination to fly in zero grids near SJC?

I placed a LAANC request for approval for further coordination this weekend, site is really close to airport but there are construction cranes up 200' in the area also so I'm wondering if I'll be approved, or how long approval will take.

In my justification, I stated a visual observer would be present, and noted my max planned altitude as 115' AGL, the request was for 150' as KH only lets me move in 50' increments.

Anything else I could put in there to help with approval?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM