Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Battery Life

R.Perry

Reaction score
Most know that our batteries don't last forever, or for very long depending on the use they get.
I'm flying the Inspire 2, and Phantom 4. I have eight sets of batteries for the Inspire and four for the Phantom. The phantom is on it's second set of batteries in a little over 100hrs flying time.

The Inspire is on it's first set, but I'm seeing a weakening of the batteries already. I would have normally shot say three panos on one set of batteries, yesterday I only got two panos, these batteries aren't that old.

Does anyone know if there is a printed life expectancy based on the number of times the batteries are recharged. I normally end a flight around 30% discharge and never go below 25%.

I'm wondering if I'm being too conservative and need to discharge them further before recharging, because it is my understanding that battery life is based on the number of times it is recharged.

We have seen batteries approaching 100 cycles for the inspire 2 continue to function well. If the individual cell voltages are still close to one another we continue to use the batteries. I believe many of us go lower than 25% on a regular occasion.

Keep in mind that DJI does warranty batteries for 6 months and up to 200 cycles. Many batteries long exceed these timeframes and cycles but to know that DJI replaces failed batteries with new ones inside these conditions is helpful.

Reactions: Joe Silvia
Most know that our batteries don't last forever, or for very long depending on the use they get.
I'm flying the Inspire 2, and Phantom 4. I have eight sets of batteries for the Inspire and four for the Phantom. The phantom is on it's second set of batteries in a little over 100hrs flying time.

The Inspire is on it's first set, but I'm seeing a weakening of the batteries already. I would have normally shot say three panos on one set of batteries, yesterday I only got two panos, these batteries aren't that old.

Does anyone know if there is a printed life expectancy based on the number of times the batteries are recharged. I normally end a flight around 30% discharge and never go below 25%.

I'm wondering if I'm being too conservative and need to discharge them further before recharging, because it is my understanding that battery life is based on the number of times it is recharged.
An almost impossible to answer question since useful pack life is dependant on many factors.
  • Quality of cells used
  • How they have been stored
  • How they have been charged
  • Rate of charge
  • Discharge level
  • Temperature while charging
  • Date of manufacture
All of the above factor into how long a pack will last. Even then, packs treated identically will have differing life.
Many do not know that lipos will lose their capacity from the date they leave the production line (irrespective of use).
They should be stored at circa 3.86v per cell at around 5 degrees temp for long term storage.
A pack stored this way will deteriorate at only circa 1-2% pack capacity over a 12 month period.
Storing at room temp can easily lose 5% capacity over a similar time frame and if stored in a warm environment expect to see 10 - 12% disappear over a year.

DJI have never used good quality cells in any of their packs so do not expect wonders out of them.
Additionally, their 'smart' battery technology was only ever invented in an attempt to weed out the idiot gene but unfortunately means they have over zealous battery algorithms in place which forces users to have to take packs out of service earlier than they need to because their 'smart' battery tells them it has lost capacity when reality the cells internal resistance is still low enough to have a serviceable pack.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. As for the Inspire batteries, they are used every week, I use all eight pairs every week. I recharge the batteries the night before I need them. I have ran a pair down to 14% during one mapping, the batteries were hot, and the motors seemed hotter than normal, that is why I began trying to stay around the 30% mark. If I'm not mistaken as the voltage drops off the amperage draw from the motors is going to increase.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905