Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Best drone for DSAR

Mavic Mac

Reaction score
Just curious, if you were to purchase a drone today for DSAR, which drone would it be and what attachments would be added to it ?
Thanks in advance for your input.

It depends 100% on your budget. If money is no object there are many Custom rigs that can carry payloads, multiple sensors etc but you could easily spend $50K in a blink of an eye.

At the same time if you have a fairly tight budget ANY sUAS is better than none. The M2ED is a good starting point but we've used Phantom3, Phantom4, Mavic Paltinum, Yuneec H520, Matrice 200/210's and then custom.

When we help set up a new Dept program we take their initial budget and cut it in half. That 1/2 covers the initial aircraft system purchase and the other half is for everything you need (Case, Chargers, Props, Batteries, LEDs, wigdets etc).

It depends 100% on your budget. If money is no object there are many Custom rigs that can carry payloads, multiple sensors etc but you could easily spend $50K in a blink of an eye.

At the same time if you have a fairly tight budget ANY sUAS is better than none. The M2ED is a good starting point but we've used Phantom3, Phantom4, Mavic Paltinum, Yuneec H520, Matrice 200/210's and then custom.

When we help set up a new Dept program we take their initial budget and cut it in half. That 1/2 covers the initial aircraft system purchase and the other half is for everything you need (Case, Chargers, Props, Batteries, LEDs, wigdets etc).
Thanks for the input

I agree with BigAI07 in regards to budget..
The M210 is really hard to pass up with it’s multi-payload setup and acceptance in this area of support by several orgs.

I’m not a Mavic fan at all andwould solidly recommend the Autel EVO or Parrot ANAFI w/thermal. The few that I’ve assisted with were in areas that the DJI NoFlyBS affected me and the EVO & ANAFI aren’t affected by this. Both are very solid systems that are being used by Public Works groups more and more.

Reactions: Mavic Mac
Thermal is necessary and a pilot with a night time waiver. I have been contemplating the same question with my agency. Chief just came to me and said " We have extra money what drone should we get" ... Now what is that budget chief ... still waiting for that answer before I recommend something.

Thermal is necessary and a pilot with a night time waiver. I have been contemplating the same question with my agency. Chief just came to me and said " We have extra money what drone should we get" ... Now what is that budget chief ... still waiting for that answer before I recommend something.
Like your webpage

@Enal - Thanks for your reply

Looking at some of the videos of the Parrot ANAFI w/thermal it looks interesting. Have you had an opportunity to have hands on experience flying it ?

I have not seen the parrot yet. Only thermal I have seen in person is a Matrice 600 with Zenmuse. The local university geology department has one and I flew it at a demonstration. I was like a kid in a candy store.

Attachments

• 20190811_125948_HDR.jpg
    20190811_125948_HDR.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190811_130630_HDR.jpg
    20190811_130630_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads