Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Best laptop for drone video editing?

I have a 2013 Mac Book Pro that I got for a little over $300 a few months back. I also bought a Crucial 1TB SSD Hard drive to replace the original 500GB HD (It took all of about 15 minutes to replace since there wasn't anything on it to clone for the new one), I bought a HD enclosure for $9 to make the old drive an extra unit. So for under $500, I have a pretty decent laptop for editing videos.
I suppose it depends on what you’re expecting.
What type of videos do you edit? Meaning what resolutions do you shoot at?
Personally I have no problem with 1080 P

Save money on the editing SW and use DaVinci Resolve. In one package you get editing, colour grading, compositing, sound editing, so no more dropping files in and out of different programmes to arrive at a final product.

Reactions: BigL and JimD
Recently purchased a Mavic Air 2 and couldn't be happier with my selection to begin my drone journey.

However now I wonder what's the best computer specs to look for so I can edit videos professionally? [I'm looking to use adobe premiere/FCP or something on that level]

Also - I keep reading horror stories regarding the DJI app and how it doesn't work with android phones [I have a Samsung galaxy s7]

Can anyone offer better alternatives? [I really just need something that would work best with the DJI apps]

Thanks!

Any laptop with several cores/threads, RAM, and graphics card will work for you. For a device to pair with DJI drones, go with an apple. I had an ipad mini 5 (had to get cellular version, wifi version doesn't have GPS) and it's great for the job. I'm actually thinking about upgrading to an iPad Pro 11 for an even bigger screen. Having a laptop is a bonus over PC because it makes it easier to verify content before leaving a job site, but PC will net you faster post-processing times.

Reactions: BigL
Ok, you Apple gurus, what is it about Apple that you believe is superior to a PC with Windows 10? To me Apple seems more expensive for comparable power in a PC. My last job I was supplied with two iPads and I had more problems with them than my Android tablets.

Ok, you Apple gurus, what is it about Apple that you believe is superior to a PC with Windows 10? To me Apple seems more expensive for comparable power in a PC. My last job I was supplied with two iPads and I had more problems with them than my Android tablets.
Which Android tablet(s) you use ?

I suppose it depends on what you’re expecting.
What type of videos do you edit? Meaning what resolutions do you shoot at?
Personally I have no problem with 1080 P
If I shoot 1080P, I don't need to make proxies for editing. Shooting 4k or H265 Codec, I make proxies for editing. It's not the fastest thing in the world but for my uses currently, it doesn't need to be. I just let it run in Media Encoder while I work in Premiere Pro. If I needed something with a lot of graphics horsepower, I'd probably look at getting a Boxx workstation. They are pricey but that is what they're built for including 3D rendering and Architectural and civil engineering.

I'll start off by saying I dislike Apple as a company however most developers tend to gravitate towards iOS/iPadOS compatibility vs Android. I run a Mavic 2 Pro and most of the mapping apps just work better or offer features not available on Android. I started off using my Samsung Note but got extremely annoyed by reading about a feature only to find out "sorry that's not available on Android yet". I wanted a tablet any way as to not get interrupted by phone calls so I did a bunch of research and got an Apple Mini 5. The screen is bright and the apps just work. Next year unless something better comes out I'll move to the larger iPad Pro 11" when they upgrade to a Mini-LED display. For comparison the DJI Smart Controller is 1000 nits, Crystal Sky is 1000/2000 nits, and Mini-LED capable of 5000 nits and will provide more battery efficiency than OLED's.

Generic App Info:
DroneDeploy: While Android is supported for flight, the latest features: Terrain Aware flight, Missions, and the latest UI is only available on iOS.
Pix4dCapture: The application is not very heavy/intensive, hence any reasonable new tablet should work. However, hardware can vary a lot when running Android OS and it is impossible to support all different device configurations.
Hangar: We are iOS only.
DJI: Reps reps consistently recommend iPad OS as their development team supposedly works close with Apple. Funny enough, the only thing stopping me from getting a Smart Controller (which runs Android) is the lack of mapping app compatibility. DJI needs to fix this...

Now as far as desktop goes. I'm Windows all the way. A large part of that is the markup on Apple devices and there are many things I do on PC that I simply cannot do on a Mac. Everything I use application wise in and outside of drone work that I would do on a Mac I can do on a PC desktop, but it's not the same the other way around and I'm not constrained by Apple's closed garden mindset for hardware.

Regarding portable devices, next year might be the first time I buy an Apple laptop as editing companies prioritize MacOS over optimizing with Windows laptops, and Apple will be updating to Arm chipsets which should provide much more efficiency to their products. I'll never use a laptop for performance computing because I don't like carrying a 4lb brick. If I can carry a 2lb portable editing device that gets the gold star treatment from photo/video editing companies then it makes more sense to me. For now.

I'm a PC guy all the way and I've built more rigs than I can count and in weird custom cases like ammo cans, rice cooker, mini fridge, car-puter, and more. But developers are leaning more towards iOS for their compatibility friendliness and customer base. Just one (and a half) version of the app (iOS/iPadOS) and you don't need to touch it again to make revenue. So for now, I'm stuck using an iPad.

Reactions: R.Perry
I'll start off by saying I dislike Apple as a company however most developers tend to gravitate towards iOS/iPadOS compatibility vs Android. I run a Mavic 2 Pro and most of the mapping apps just work better or offer features not available on Android. I started off using my Samsung Note but got extremely annoyed by reading about a feature only to find out "sorry that's not available on Android yet". I wanted a tablet any way as to not get interrupted by phone calls so I did a bunch of research and got an Apple Mini 5. The screen is bright and the apps just work. Next year unless something better comes out I'll move to the larger iPad Pro 11" when they upgrade to a Mini-LED display. For comparison the DJI Smart Controller is 1000 nits, Crystal Sky is 1000/2000 nits, and Mini-LED capable of 5000 nits and will provide more battery efficiency than OLED's.

Generic App Info:
DroneDeploy: While Android is supported for flight, the latest features: Terrain Aware flight, Missions, and the latest UI is only available on iOS.
Pix4dCapture: The application is not very heavy/intensive, hence any reasonable new tablet should work. However, hardware can vary a lot when running Android OS and it is impossible to support all different device configurations.
DJI: Reps reps consistently recommend iPad OS as their development team supposedly works close with Apple. Funny enough, the only thing stopping me from getting a Smart Controller (which runs Android) is the lack of mapping app compatibility. DJI needs to fix this...

Now as far as desktop goes. I'm Windows all the way. A large part of that is the markup on Apple devices and there are many things I do on PC that I simply cannot do on a Mac. Everything I use application wise in and outside of drone work that I would do on a Mac I can do on a PC desktop, but it's not the same the other way around and I'm not constrained by Apple's closed garden mindset for hardware.

Regarding portable devices, next year might be the first time I buy an Apple laptop as editing companies prioritize MacOS over optimizing with Windows laptops, and Apple will be updating to Arm chipsets which should provide much more efficiency to their products. I'll never use a laptop for performance computing because I don't like carrying a 4lb brick. If I can carry a 2lb portable editing device that gets the gold star treatment from photo/video editing companies then it makes more sense to me. For now.

I'm a PC guy all the way and I've built more rigs than I can count and in weird custom cases like ammo cans, rice cooker, mini fridge, car-puter, and more. But developers are leaning more towards iOS for their compatibility friendliness and customer base. Just one (and a half) version of the app (iOS/iPadOS) and you don't need to touch it again to make revenue. So for now, I'm stuck using an iPad.
Some of the developers I've talked claim that IOS users are more likely to pay for an app that Android.
Also IOS is really only one build per version where as Android has OEM builds sometimes on a per phone/tablet basis making it hard to get things working on all devices.

Generic App Info:

Thanks for your response, I'm just not familiar with Apple at all. I've had less overheating issues with my Samsung tablet than I did with the companies iPads. I do have a laptop I carry with me so I can do a quick review of photos or video before I leave the job site, but I agree with you, for editing the desktop is the way to go.

Reactions: prodigal27
Some of the developers I've talked claim that IOS users are more likely to pay for an app that Android.
Also IOS is really only one build per version where as Android has OEM builds sometimes on a per phone/tablet basis making it hard to get things working on all devices.

One thing I have done with my tablet is removed every app other than the ones I needed for the drone. I don't use it for anything else. You are correct Samsung made tablets for Nook, Amazon Kindle, and others and I have a nook tablet that I use for books that want to read. I'm not sure but I imagine they put some proprietary apps in those tablets.

I am forced to use Windows for my job, although windows 11 is better, once you get the bugs out of it and set up to do what you want.... I would strongly suggest either a macbook air or pro with apple's m1 chip, if looking for a better price, or with the new m2 chip. just make sure to get the most ram and ssd space available when purchasing it since it is not upgradable at all after purchase. I have a 2020 Macbook air with the m1 chip and basic specs, believe it is 8gb of ram and 256gb ssd for my personal use, not necessarly video editing, but it is lighting fast and smokes my companies high spec toughbook running windows 11.

Congrats on snagging the Mavic Air 2, it's an awesome choice for a drone! When it comes to editing videos like a pro, you'll want a laptop with some decent specs. For Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro, look for a laptop with a powerful processor (Intel Core i7 or AMD Ryzen 7), at least 16GB of RAM, and a dedicated graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX or AMD Radeon). These specs should handle your video editing needs like a champ! As for the DJI app, I get your worries about Android compatibility. While some models have had issues, the Samsung Galaxy S7 should work just fine with the app. But if you're open to alternatives, iOS devices like iPhones or iPads usually have better compatibility with DJI apps. By the way, if you're looking to combine videos, Adobe Premiere or Movavi are great options with advanced editing features. Just a suggestion. UPD: sorry for bumping the thread, didn't notice it was old at once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys - just joined the forum. Looks like this thread was revived pretty recently after a two year gap. I’m just getting into the business. Just took the part 107 written, and I’ll be taking a local community college course on Adobe Premier Pro. I wanted to ask you all for advice about purchasing a laptop that will be well suited for editing 4K video. I‘m aware that it will need an excellent processor, lots of RAM and a good graphics card. I‘ll be operating a DJI drone (probably a Mavic). Is there a clear winner when it comes to choosing a Windows laptop or a MacBook? I know this was addressed earlier in the thread, but so much time has passed, I wanted to hear some current takes on this question. Thanks in advance for all helpful replies.

Recently purchased a Mavic Air 2 and couldn't be happier with my selection to begin my drone journey.

However now I wonder what's the best computer specs to look for so I can edit videos professionally? [I'm looking to use adobe premiere/FCP or something on that level]

Also - I keep reading horror stories regarding the DJI app and how it doesn't work with android phones [I have a Samsung galaxy s7]

Can anyone offer better alternatives? [I really just need something that would work best with the DJI apps]

Thanks!
I have been using the Mac Pro M1 Max. Great for making 3D models on Agisoft’s Metashape software, however DJI Terra only works on Windows platform, it’s true that with Macs “it just works” however not everything will run on Mac OS.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy