Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Big Changes Are Coming to the Part 107 Test

A good discussion but I wished the feds would get those poor souls who needed a recurrent in March back in the air and stop dragging their feet and wasting time rewriting exams.. Mine is due August but I can't imagine what is like for those folks who are grounded.

My attitude it the better a person is educated, and able to apply what they have learned the more proficient they are going to be.
Shortly after getting off active duty a family member who had recently got is private license asked me to go with him Bakersfield Ca in a 172, why, weather was marginal for VFR and we might need to make an ILS approach.
Well, no problem, I'm a Naval Aviator, I learned on that flight a real lesson, a 172 don't fly like a S2 or P3.
I said that to reaffirm my belief that a commercial drone pilot should have a performance evaluation, a check flight if you will. We got to get to a point where drones are not considered big toys but part of the aviation community, and the bar needs to raised for commercial operators.

What bothers me about testing is that even if you fully understand the concepts, my last test (about a year ago) had Q's that intentionally were (IMO) misleading to trick you. Why do that? If you understand the concept, why introduce trickery? I actually had one error that WAS CORRECT because the new rulings had not been updated on the test - cost me an extra wrong answer that should have been correct!

My attitude it the better a person is educated, and able to apply what they have learned the more proficient they are going to be.
Shortly after getting off active duty a family member who had recently got is private license asked me to go with him Bakersfield Ca in a 172, why, weather was marginal for VFR and we might need to make an ILS approach.
Well, no problem, I'm a Naval Aviator, I learned on that flight a real lesson, a 172 don't fly like a S2 or P3.
I said that to reaffirm my belief that a commercial drone pilot should have a performance evaluation, a check flight if you will. We got to get to a point where drones are not considered big toys but part of the aviation community, and the bar needs to raised for commercial operators.

I agree that PICs of routine, BVLOS, commercial UAV flights using heavy UAVs, in high-risk environments (cities, suburbs, near or over private property, etc.) should have a higher bar. This includes package deliveries, taxi services, etc. But industry and the FAA seem to want, and are planning for, autonomous-robotic-flights for such activities at the expense of the rest of us. Regulate the _____ out of this kind of UAV use but leave the rest of us alone.

Commercial and recreational PICs flying camera UAVs in high-risk environments need education and awareness of the risks they are taking, and a way for them to be held accountable for damages (maybe a permit process is required). They should be required to fly with suitable insurance.

I disagree that the bar needs to be raised for responsible PICs who follow reasonable rules and fly light UAVs, VLOS, in low-risk environments (designated flying fields, vacant parks, etc. - not in or near neighborhoods, private property, etc.). Folks who fly FPV need an observer. For the most part, recreational RC pilots have been flying safely for decades and only risked their own UAVs when done right. Statistics show that many other recreational activities are far more hazardous to participants and spectators than flying a light UAV responsibly. The FAA and the rest of us need to focus more on educating the clueless, careless, and criminal PICs amount us. Self-regulation had worked for the RC community for decades.

Unfortunately, the FAA seems to think that remote ID will solve all of their/our problems. I don’t think it will.

What bothers me about testing is that even if you fully understand the concepts, my last test (about a year ago) had Q's that intentionally were (IMO) misleading to trick you. Why do that? If you understand the concept, why introduce trickery? I actually had one error that WAS CORRECT because the new rulings had not been updated on the test - cost me an extra wrong answer that should have been correct!
The FAA does have a procedure to contest issues like this. If you believe you answered a question correctly, but it was marked wrong, you can contact AFS 630 (the Airman Testing Branch) with the details and ask for a manual regrading of you exam.

The FAA does have a procedure to contest issues like this. If you believe you answered a question correctly, but it was marked wrong, you can contact AFS 630 (the Airman Testing Branch) with the details and ask for a manual regrading of you exam.

I actually did email the FAA.... they took note, said they would look at the question but nothing more. It was right in the transition of one of the newer rules (can't remember which one now) so I did not pursue it :)

I disagree that the bar needs to be raised for responsible PICs who follow reasonable rules and fly light UAVs, VLOS, in low-risk environments (designated flying fields, vacant parks, etc. - not in or near neighborhoods, private property, etc.). Folks who fly FPV need an observer. For the most part, recreational RC pilots have been flying safely for decades and only risked their own UAVs when done right. Statistics show that many other recreational activities are far more hazardous to participants and spectators than flying a light UAV responsibly. The FAA and the rest of us need to focus more on educating the clueless, careless, and criminal PICs amount us. Self-regulation had worked for the RC community for decades.

Unfortunately, the FAA seems to think that remote ID will solve all of their/our problems. I don’t think it will.

How do you make laws that only cover the "responsible PIC", the laws are normally created because of the irresponsible actions of people, but they need to apply to everyone.

As for the RC guys they have designated flying fields and I agree they should be self regulated because from what I understand they do a good job of policing their activities.

We are talking about commercial activity, at my age I can still fly privately but not commercially any longer. There is a big difference in how the FAA looks at private pilots verses commercial pilots because of the increased responsibilities of a commercial pilot. If the UAV community wants to be recolonized as professionals the bar does need to be raised.

I agree remote ID isn't going to solve problems such as VLOS commercial operations, it will only identify after the fact those operating illegally. For true long range commercial operations the UAV is going to need to be integrated with ATC, and that I believe is a long ways off.

No, you memorized formula and constants to make calculations. It basically came down to pulling in the numbers given to you in the questions.

Do you mean learning the formulas and then working it to derive an answer, or know what to put into your calculator or computer to get the answer you need? I went through school in the sixties and early 70s, didn't even have a four function calculator. I know I'm old school but it amazes me today what these young grads don't know. Hand an engineering student a slide rule and see what happens.

“memorize the questions and answers specific ally” Most my electrical engineering education was spend memorizing questions and answers specifically :). It’s one of the reasons I enjoyed math and science, and disliked English composition.

2edgesword,

Clearly, you've made your point - about disliking English Composition! ;)

Permit me to elaborate...
  • Capitalize "memorize,"
  • Correct spelling of "specific ally" and add a period,"
  • Add "of" between "Most" and "my,"
  • Change "spend" to "spent,"
  • Delete the word "specifically" at the end of the 2nd sentence,"
  • Two points for using "it's" (it is) correctly,
  • Delete the comma between "science" and "and,"
  • Another two points for capitalizing "English," but
  • You need to capitalize "Composition" too.
It should be like this:

“Memorize the questions and answers specifically.” Most of my electrical engineering education was spent memorizing questions and answers. It’s one of the reasons I enjoyed math and science and disliked English Composition.

I mean no disrespect. I'm an engineer too who didn't do well in any English class, and I have an odd sense of humor if you can call it that. In any case, I'm 45 years into my career, which has evolved into spending 80% of my time writing and editing other people's work, so I really, really couldn't help myself (sorry). I suspect that most of your errors were typographical due to "typing" your post on your "smartphone," which I always say "can do a thousand things but nothing well."

Many of my posts have errors too, so again, I mean no disrespect, and wish you all the best!

My goodness Earthman, you must cringe over many of my posts and poor grammar. I also would have put a comma between "science" and "and".

My goodness Earthman, you must cringe over many of my posts and poor grammar. I also would have put a comma between "science" and "and".
I do all my cringing at work. And for the most part, I don't worry about stuff posted on forums. It's was just "low hanging fruit” and I feel 2edgesword's pain about English Composition.

Last edited:
Reactions: R.Perry
Ok gang, let's not go down this path any further. Don't get personal or petty.
Sorry, BigA107. I know I'm walking a fine line but I was hoping not to offend anyone with what I was trying to be lighthearted about. I apologize to you, 2edgesword, and others if it doesn't come across that way. If others are offended, I'll edit my post away to the extent that it's possible. I feel like I've painted myself into a corner.:(

Reactions: R.Perry and BigAl07
Sorry, BigA107. I know I'm walking a fine line but I was hoping not to offend anyone with what I was trying to be lighthearted about. I apologize to you, 2edgesword, and others if it doesn't come across that way. If others are offended, I'll edit my post away to the extent that it's possible. I feel like I've painted myself into a corner.:(

No worries it's all good. Thanks for your reply sir.

Reactions: R.Perry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905