Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Buisness Idea

R.Perry

Reaction score
Crop dusting is big business, and good money. However a used low time crop duster say 2000 tt, will set you back about 600 to 700k, don't even consider new.

A drone however will set you back 20k, but the drone is very limited and coverage verses time. But lets not have one drone, but fiver or six all dusting say a 1000 acre field or orchard. You now have a 100k plus investment competing with crop dusters that have a much greater investment (oh and can't find enough pilots) and are high maintenance aircraft.
The dusting would be antonymous so launching five or six drones minutes apart could speed up the dusting. Also make each flight done on one battery with RTH function activated on each. As the first drone returns the tank is refilled and batteries changed and set on its way for the sixth or seventh section, and so on.

I know their must be many holes in my idea but I believe it is a workable one. I know a 100k plus investment is a lot, but the return could be tremendous for a young person wanting to make money just flying drones.

Some of the best money I ever made was crop dusting, 50k a year in the early 70s, that is like 250 to 300k today so just imagine what could be charged for that service today.

Just a note, I don't recommend any pilots get into crop dusting with fixed wing or helos, it is dangerous, most don't have long life spans, and many have died from chemical poisoning.

So let me know what is wrong with my idea.

Reactions: rfaaj
Once the regulations catch up with the technology this could be a very viable business. For now we can't "operate" but a single drone per person (a waiver is available but they are stingy) and then you have to consider VLOS options for Part 107.

I currently insure someone who is doing exactly this on tea plantations in Sri Lanka. As @BigAl07 said, we need to wait for regulations to catch up. Also, with precision agriculture you should not have to dust the whole field like a manned aircraft does. Safer, less pesticides/herbicides, less fuel, etc.

Joe Ernster
[email protected]
Get A Free Commercial UAS Insurance Quote Now!

Reactions: BigAl07
I know the regs don't allow it at this time, and one needs the chemical license to spray commercially. I do wonder if the FAA may grant a waiver in this case since there should be no danger to people not involved with the operation. I think it would require a minimum of two or possibly three people to do this effectively.
The other problem is some of the farms are so large you wouldn't get one complete pass with what the chemical tanks can carry.
I do think down the road there may be some great potential for someone wanting to jump into the ag business.

I know the regs don't allow it at this time, and one needs the chemical license to spray commercially. I do wonder if the FAA may grant a waiver in this case since there should be no danger to people not involved with the operation. I think it would require a minimum of two or possibly three people to do this effectively.
The other problem is some of the farms are so large you wouldn't get one complete pass with what the chemical tanks can carry.
I do think down the road there may be some great potential for someone wanting to jump into the ag business.
I read an article within the past month that showed this being done - BBC?
The other advantage is that there is less drift, assuming you are at a lower altitude, less over run of the intended area, and if you combine it with IR/UV there is the chance to save money by being very selective about where you spray. Just not sure my P3P would do it.

Here ya go The crop-spraying drones that go where tractors can't

Would drones powered by combustion engines be a better option, than those driven solely by batteries?
The energy density for petrol/gasoline is so much better than even the best batteries. Small battery small gas-generator and you can fly with more capacity pesticides for a much linger time.
I know such systems exists, just wondering if it was something for DJI to make a small model to an affordable price.

Would drones powered by combustion engines be a better option, than those driven solely by batteries?
The energy density for petrol/gasoline is so much better than even the best batteries. Small battery small gas-generator and you can fly with more capacity pesticides for a much linger time.
I know such systems exists, just wondering if it was something for DJI to make a small model to an affordable price.

While the power density of fossil fuels is much higher (very much) the weight of the IC engine is also significantly higher. Plus we have to deal with fuel storage and delivery. One other factor of fuel is the weight distribution as fuel is consumed. Also with an IC engine we have "tuning" and "performance" issues that must be taken into account. Until you get into electronic computer controls and fuel injection system (which add weight and complexity and cost) the IC engine isn't as reliable especially when you factor in different barometric conditions. Coming from an IC Aerial background (owned an R/C engine company back in the late 90's) it was a hassle to have to adjust the carb(s) when we would fly at a new location with a difference in elevation. Now factor that into a min of (4) motors and you see the complications grow exponentially. If the motors are not all in tune the Flight Controller is going to have a hard time compensating and keeping the aircraft stable and airworthy.

While yes it's possible the reliablity of electric motors make them the industry standard in these types of aircraft. IIRC Honda has an sUAS (Single Rotor Heli) that is fossil fuel IC and designed to do exactly this type of work. Don't think just multirotors when looking for the right tool for the job.

Edit:
It was Yamaha.

That is a good question, however I think a hi-bird would be what is needed and there is one out there. The IC engine isn't going to respond fast enough to power changes on a multi engine drone, however having a IC run a generator that keeps the batteries charged and actually supplies all the electrial power needed for the motors I believe would work very well.
You need a drone with enough lifting capacity to handle a large chemical tank, the fuel tank, and batteries, and it needs to be cost effective.

I was a crop duster in the seventies, flew a Cessna 188, and it did a great job, and money was fantastic back then. So the Ag business is use to paying big buck to get there insecticides and fertilizers sprayed.

The nice part of drones, if if you crash you don't die. But always protect yourself from the chemicals, they can kill you as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN