Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Check your motors

Geoff G UK

Reaction score
Website
ibexfilms.co.uk
I have a habit of turning the motors manually when fitting and removing props, just to see whether they are smooth, and all the same.

Before Xmas I noticed that one motor on our Inspire 2 felt decidedly rough (cf the other 3). I sent it back to DJI (Europe) under warranty and they replaced all 4 motors and speed controllers, so, well worth checking!

I have a Hubsan H109 and had a motor failure in flight. I too got all updated speed controller's. I do oil my motor bearings but this motor sounded a little wonky from the beginning. Lasted 6 months though.

I have a Hubsan H109 and had a motor failure in flight. I too got all updated speed controller's. I do oil my motor bearings but this motor sounded a little wonky from the beginning. Lasted 6 months though.

It may sound counterintuitive, but oiling the bearings excessively could potentially attract dust and debris. Me personally, I'd check with the manufacturer on this practice. On a side note, here are some interesting motor caps that I use to keep errant dust and pieces of styrofoam out of the winding openings when opening and shutting my case. Could help!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V187F6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Kdavis2269
One thing I have noticed, some people launch from gravel, dirt, or just dusty environments. I have a launch bad and since most of my work is at a construction site I don't want dirt getting into the motors, or actually anywhere else for that matter. So I never launch or recover but from my launch pad. Now mine is very nice one supplied by Multivista, but you can use anything that is clean. I also use low air pressure to clean the motors weekly.
As for oiling bearings, most bearings are sealed bearing so attempting to oil them I don't believe is a good idea. I have an automotive stethoscope that works great for listening for bearing noise, they are inexpensive and work much better than a screwdriver stuck to ones ear.
Lets face it preventive maintenance and proper preflight inspections is the key to continued successful flights.

Reactions: Kdavis2269
Automotive stethoscope.. great idea. The one time I did experience an engine failure in flight was thankfully with a fixed wing platform and I was able to glide in to land. But you could audibly tell when the bearing in the motor went out. I mean it was instant. I bet if I used the stethoscope I could have detected it sooner. I'll keep that one in the mental toolbag.

I launch from a table approx 2ft off the ground. If windy, from a LZ pad on the ground.

I turn motors by hand during preflight, feeling for roughness

Once I start, I let idle for a minute or less, listening to motors for abnormal sounds.

Upon liftoff, I hover above head height and listen to motors. In winter I let motors warm up at this height for approx. 2 min. Before starting mission.

In the hot summer, I take a temp gun with me. I monitor the motor temps at batter change. Document them for future benchmark. If outside temp is above 95F, I let bird rest 10 min. during battery swap.

Along with motors, inspect the props closely. I had a prop fracture on me, it didn't break but developed a fine thin crack. I replaced all four props.

Reactions: rvrrat14

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM