Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Checks in the mail - right.

R.Perry

Reaction score
I suppose anyone that has been in business for a while have encountered flakes when it comes to getting paid. I've had a client that was into me for a couple hundred bucks. Repeatedly promised that the check was in the mail, pony express ended a long time ago. I normally charge half up front and balance on completion other than companies like Multivista that I have worked with and are golden when it comes to paying.

Anyway this company calls me up, wants me to another job, I bid it at $1000.00 because of travel and what was involved. Told him I needed the entire amount up front including what he owed me. He told me, "No problem, will meet you at the job site and get you paid up." Fair enough.

Drive two and half hours to job site, client give me a check for half of agreed amount, less what he already owed me. I told him he could put the balance on his credit card. No, he couldn't do that, but promised I would get the balance right away.
I went ahead and did the shoot and headed home for editing. Used my phone to deposit the check and you guessed it, it bounced.

Well needless to say I didn't do any post on the videos, but sure enough he calls and asks how soon he can get them. I told him as soon as he is paid up. I get the story that he can't pay me until his client pays him. Too bad Jack, no money no laundry.

I said all that to warn interested to watch out for flakes like this. I did finally get my money out of him due to my wife's legal skills and threats of legal actions. I also told him I would never work with him again.

Make sure you have a contract, no matter how small the job it.
Make sure with new clients that you get partial payment up front, unless you know the company is solid.
Don't believe BS, so many of these people are full of it.
Watch out for small operators that have an LLC, if they go belly up, usually you can't get nothing out of them.

If someone wants you to video and map ponds in California and Arizona, get all you money up front.

I would have empathy, but have never been in that situation so all I can do is offer my sympathies. That is got to be a tough thing to negotiate when you are either an individual owner or work with a very small firm that will get this clientele from time to time. We are blessed to have an in-house drone program, but also to have ownership that sees enough value in it to encourage us to engage outside relationships. At the end of the day he knows that our department will shine a good light for the company and could potentially bring more business in the door. Basically we're paying for ourselves, lol.

Good advice. That is a common problem if you are in business for yourself. Lots of deadbeats out there.

It is a hard balance because it is good to have work. People can be such sleazeballs sometimes.

I won't even leave home without being paid these days - the full amount if it's under $500 and 50% (plus travel, incidental expenses etc) if it's higher. These days, with all the options for ETF, there should be no reason for any client not to be able to transfer money before you get to the location.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905