Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

COA and ATCT Requirements

DroneNH

Reaction score
Hi,
New to this forum and a Part 107 certified Pilot since March. I requested the entire airspace of KPSM excluding the no fly zone and the Special Security Instruction for the ANG Base. I was approved in under 72 hours.
However, they placed four special requirements that I must follow to fly within the Class D airspace. One of which I must maintain two way communications with the tower by radio. I have no problem buying a radio. The question I have is do I need a license to operate the radio and if so what are the procedures to get the license?

Thank you for your help.

Yes - I have been told you do. That was one of my stipulations. Unfortunately I am more than 3 miles from the ATC tower. I contacted one of the radio sellers and they advised the radio are line of sight an may at best reach 1.5 miles and advised to use mobile phone. I submitted my first request today, with mobile phone listed as form of communication, and as of this time I have not heard back from the ATC tower.

Check THIS thread - license is discussed. I got the license that the lady from FCC told me I needed. Not really sure it is the correct one. I had talked to 3 different people and had received 3 different answers - good luck

@DroneNH
FYI - One of the stipulations of my flight authorization was to maintain radio contact with the ATC tower, if requested to do so, and email them 24 hrs before my flight. If the email wasn't responded to before the flight to call the tower. This is Class D airspace.

I emailed the tower and noted that due to location radio contact wouldn't work. I did not receive a return email - called the tower an hour before schedule flight and received approval without a problem.

I attached a copy of what I emailed them, hope it helps

Attachments

• Flight Request - for forum.pdf
    111.4 KB · Views: 20
@DroneNH
FYI - One of the stipulations of my flight authorization was to maintain radio contact with the ATC tower, if requested to do so, and email them 24 hrs before my flight. If the email wasn't responded to before the flight to call the tower. This is Class D airspace.

I emailed the tower and noted that due to location radio contact wouldn't work. I did not receive a return email - called the tower an hour before schedule flight and received approval without a problem.

I attached a copy of what I emailed them, hope it helps

Thank you for the information. I have talked to a couple of pilots that I know and they had no answers on needing a license to operate a handheld. Both of them use handhelds when not flying. When I do my first flight I will have to see what ATC says to me.

Thank you for the information. I have talked to a couple of pilots that I know and they had no answers on needing a license to operate a handheld. Both of them use handhelds when not flying. When I do my first flight I will have to see what ATC says to me.

I would suggest an alternate plan to keep you in contact with the tower that is just as effective. Contact the airport manager who will get ATC involved in the talks and enter into a Letter of Agreement. Address the requirements of the CoA and use a cell instead of a radio. You will need to be available exclusively while you are in-flight. You will need to let the tower know ~15 minutes before you takeoff and immediately after landing and concluding operations. I still use an iCom radio tuned to CTAF to monitor the control frequency but if they tower needs me on the ground they call me.
That arrangement has served me well for four years now with the local airport.

I spoke with 3 different people in the FCC and got 3 different answers. The last lady I spoke with told me that I did need a license and which type I needed. So now I have a license but didn't bother buying a radio after the company selling the radio told me it wouldn't have the range to reach the ATC tower.

Reactions: R Martin
I spoke with 3 different people in the FCC and got 3 different answers. The last lady I spoke with told me that I did need a license and which type I needed. So now I have a license but didn't bother buying a radio after the company selling the radio told me it wouldn't have the range to reach the ATC tower.

Look on the bright side; now you have your foot in the door with the FCC. Upgrade your license to a third class radiotelephone and get it endorsed for broadcasting. Then you can moonlight as a DJ for a radio station.

Only 2 of my CoA's have the "radio communication" written in, and that's only if the local ATC decides to require it. Both of them are military areas:

KNFW - Fort Worth Naval Airstation JRB
KSPS - Wichita Falls/Sheppard Air Force Base

Both also require 3-Day advance notification, and a 30 minute, prior to operation, check-in for last-minute changes or approvals. I understand as they're military airspaces and they may have some training or something going on. None of my other CoA's have this requirement.

Reactions: Kklix
The airport airspace in which I fly is KCEF, Westover Air Reserve Base/Metropolitan Airport. I am required to email 24 hours in advance and call if I do not receive a return email. I didn't receive the return email so I called an hour before my requested time slot. Very friendly lady, checked for the email, found it and gave me my approval. I had noted in my request that due to terrain and distance from ATC tower cell phone would be the form of communication. Since this was my first request I wasn't sure if they would approve it since my Flight Authorization did stipulate radio contact if requested. Request went very smoothly :)

Called them once I completed my flight, as requested.
They asked that I always call to verify if they received the email and also once my flight is completed..

Only 2 of my CoA's have the "radio communication" written in, and that's only if the local ATC decides to require it. Both of them are military areas:

KNFW - Fort Worth Naval Airstation JRB
KSPS - Wichita Falls/Sheppard Air Force Base

Both also require 3-Day advance notification, and a 30 minute, prior to operation, check-in for last-minute changes or approvals. I understand as they're military airspaces and they may have some training or something going on. None of my other CoA's have this requirement.
Ive got 2 COA for Naval bases, neither require radio comms, cell phone is fine w them. 1 wants 3day advance notice w 30min b4 flight, the other wants 5days advance and 60min pre flight...

Hi,
New to this forum and a Part 107 certified Pilot since March. I requested the entire airspace of KPSM excluding the no fly zone and the Special Security Instruction for the ANG Base. I was approved in under 72 hours.
However, they placed four special requirements that I must follow to fly within the Class D airspace. One of which I must maintain two way communications with the tower by radio. I have no problem buying a radio. The question I have is do I need a license to operate the radio and if so what are the procedures to get the license?

Thank you for your help.
Before you do anything else, you might want to contact Base Ops directly (The phone number should be on your COA.) and ask what their preferred Standard Operating Procedure is. (My local NAS, for example, does NOT want sUAS pilots on tower frequency as it might cause unnecessary frequency congestion.) If you are required to maintain radio contact (and will be within radio range) you will need an FCC license, since "You may only use your hand-held aviation VHF radio from your aircraft, or under the authority of an FCC ground station authorization." (See "Hand-held Aviation VHF Radio" at Ground Stations)

Hope that helps.

Reactions: iaincaradoc
After a number of phone calls to the FCC I was told this (attached copy) was the license I needed. Maybe the FCC considers drones "aircraft" for licensing purposes.

Attachments

• My FCC License marked .pdf
    530 KB · Views: 12
The two-way radio requirement seems weird to me. I just got a COA for airspace near KLUF, and they just wanted to make sure I had the ATC phone number, and ATC has my phone number.

The two-way radio requirement seems weird to me. I just got a COA for airspace near KLUF, and they just wanted to make sure I had the ATC phone number, and ATC has my phone number.

I think it ultimately depends on the airport you are dealing with. Most are perfectly fine with your arrangement (at least those that I have dealt with).

Reactions: iaincaradoc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV