Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Contracting as Pilot for Their Drone

Guardian44

Reaction score
Hi-

I'm new at the drone business, so I'll admit upfront that I don't know yet what I don't know. I have a lead for a job with a roofing company. In our initial conversation, it seems that the vision they have is me, as a contractor, not an employee, piloting a drone which they own, doing roof photos/inspections. I'm not sure about the details of what they will need, but they apparently have the software, and a drone (don't know what it is yet either).

My question so far is about insurance. I have a base liability policy, through DroneInsurance.com, with the drone I own. Do I need to get some kind of further insurance to cover liability while I'm flying their drone? Would it be covered by their insurance? Might they have to pick up a new policy of some kind?

I'm only in the beginning stages of talking to them, but I wanted to get some input so that I can be knowledgable when I speak with them further next week sometime.

Feel free to let me know what else I don't know to ask!

Thanks

EDIT: Yes, I am part 107 certified.

Last edited:
I had an home inspection business and used my drone (Phantom 4 at the time) for that exact purpose. At that time I carried a 1 mil liability policy, I have learned since that if your drone injures someone that 1 mil is a drop in the bucket.

I'm assuming you have your 107 license. The drone for mapping roofs is a very effective tool. I would do a video of the entire roof, then do still photos of any potential problem areas. It saves a lot of climbing and walking roofs.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hi-

I'm new at the drone business, so I'll admit upfront that I don't know yet what I don't know. I have a lead for a job with a roofing company. In our initial conversation, it seems that the vision they have is me, as a contractor, not an employee, piloting a drone which they own, doing roof photos/inspections. I'm not sure about the details of what they will need, but they apparently have the software, and a drone (don't know what it is yet either).

My question so far is about insurance. I have a base liability policy, through DroneInsurance.com, with the drone I own. Do I need to get some kind of further insurance to cover liability while I'm flying their drone? Would it be covered by their insurance? Might they have to pick up a new policy of some kind?

I'm only in the beginning stages of talking to them, but I wanted to get some input so that I can be knowledgable when I speak with them further next week sometime.

Thanks

That would be something to air out in the contract process. Find out specifically who is responsible for what. Get it in writing for posterity's sake. Ideally, even if they insure the aircraft you need to speak with an insurance rep and determine if it would be smart to carry insurance on yourself. I am insured through my employer, but there are a lot of loopholes that if I do not follow policy implicitly, they can throw me under the bus. Don't think in terms of if something will happen; think in terms of when something will happen.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hi-

That could be a very good gig. You get paid to fly and they provide the equipment :)

That company or their insurance agent are the only ones qualified to accurately answer that question. Anything else is guessing.

Reactions: R Martin
Hi-

Thanks
Ask your insurance company and your prospective employer. Only they can answer those very good questions. We are assuming you are 107.

Reactions: R Martin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143