Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Controlled Airspace (class C) vs Restricted Zone as it pertains to LAANC Authorization

carthurhill

Reaction score
Pursuant to a Part 107 commercial flight last week in Class C airspace near KMKE, I requested and was granted LAANC authorization for thirty minutes with a maximum altitude of 100 feet AGL - days ahead of my flight. When I arrived on-site to launch, DJI Fly app alerted me that I was in "Restricted Zone". Attempts to take off were denied. I understand "Restricted Zone" to refer to, among other things, military operations. KMKE is home to the 128th Air Refueling Wing, but I'm not sure if that's what's at issue. Any thoughts out there?

I have found DJI Flysafe Geofence Authorization Zones (blue) get approved for self-unlocking instantly for three-day periods regardless of whether I have a LAANC or COA approval (https://fly-safe.dji.com/unlock/unlock-request/list).

DJI Flysafe Restricted Zones (red) require that you submit documentation to DJI (i.e. a COA) that you are authorized to operate in that airspace by the controlling authority. Those requests take longer for DJI to process your Geofence unlock request.

Bottom line: Regardless of whether or not you have a LAANC approval or COA, you have to unlock the DJI Geofence via Flysafe before DJI will let you spin your props in that airspace. The process can be cumbersome but learned with practice.

Word of advice: If there is no internet service where you intend to fly, self-unlock the zone where you have internet service in advance.

Reactions: Recoveryone
I received LAANC approval last weekend. If you look at the Flysafe screenshot, you see that half the building I was mapping was in blue and half in restricted. The drone would not have been able to fly the mission without issues from a DJI Flysafe restricted zone even though it was cleared by LAANC. Easy fix. Applied for manual unlock from DJI. Attached the LAANC approval and communicated that Flysafe cut right though the approval. they had a manual unlock back to me within 10 minutes. I gotta say they are very responsive these days regardless of time of day or day of the week.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 12.47.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 12.47.07 PM.png
    390.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 12.50.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 12.50.34 PM.png
    924.3 KB · Views: 4
I received LAANC approval last weekend. If you look at the Flysafe screenshot, you see that half the building I was mapping was in blue and half in restricted. The drone would not have been able to fly the mission without issues from a DJI Flysafe restricted zone even though it was cleared by LAANC. Easy fix. Applied for manual unlock from DJI. Attached the LAANC approval and communicated that Flysafe cut right though the approval. they had a manual unlock back to me within 10 minutes. I gotta say they are very responsive these days regardless of time of day or day of the week.
Good to hear. DJI wants us to fly, especially their drones.

They recently changed the Flysafe system (what, 5-6 months ago?) and I setup my account as a Commercial one. I had to send them the requested info on company letterhead and also uploaded a list of all my CoA's. Now, when I do a Custom Unlock, I get approval in 5-10 minutes. Yeah, its an extra step, but it is what it is. We professional, certificated and knowledgable pilots pay the price for the idiots doing stupid stuff.

Getting an unlock, loading it to a controller, syncing with the aircraft and tapping the activation slider to green, BEFORE I get to the job site, (night before) I have not had a single issue being denied takeoff. Personally, anytime I'm within a mile of a DJI Zone, I get the unlock loaded up for the nearby zone, just in case. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143