Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Current 107 Pilot With Multiple Questions Regarding Regulations Prior To Filming An Event This Weekend.

PITTMAV69

Reaction score
Hello All.
I passed the part 107 exam in November 2020. I'm located just north of Pittsburgh, PA. As such I haven't had too many opportunities; with the winter weather; to fly much since last fall.
I've been asked to film a rather large bicycle race in southwestern PA this weekend (5/22).
Most of the filming would have the UA positioned above and off to the side of the course; except when filming the start and finish of the race when I will most likely have to have the UA positioned over a large crowd in order to get close up shots.
I am aware of the new regulations for part 107 UAV Pilots regarding flights over people; night flying (I won't have to do this for the race); and Remote I.D.
I have the following questions:
1. Can I go to faasafety.gov and use my account to access just the training for the new regs (I am already a licensed and current 107 Pilot); or will I have to complete the entire recurrent test even though I'm already current; and am I even eligible for the new training at this point?
2. I own/fly a DJI Mavic Air 2. Is this UA already Remote I.D. Compliant or will I need to purchase a module?
3. I will have a spotter with me on site and I have Professional business radios for comms. With the exception of possibly needing to obtain waivers for flight in the local airspace ( I am checking this out today); does anyone know of any other bases I would need to cover before the flight?
I hope I've covered everything. If not please feel free to let me know what I may be missing. Thank you in advance.
PITTMAV69

Hello All.
I passed the part 107 exam in November 2020. I'm located just north of Pittsburgh, PA. As such I haven't had too many opportunities; with the winter weather; to fly much since last fall.
I've been asked to film a rather large bicycle race in southwestern PA this weekend (5/22).
Most of the filming would have the UA positioned above and off to the side of the course; except when filming the start and finish of the race when I will most likely have to have the UA positioned over a large crowd in order to get close up shots.
I am aware of the new regulations for part 107 UAV Pilots regarding flights over people; night flying (I won't have to do this for the race); and Remote I.D.
I have the following questions:
1. Can I go to faasafety.gov and use my account to access just the training for the new regs (I am already a licensed and current 107 Pilot); or will I have to complete the entire recurrent test even though I'm already current; and am I even eligible for the new training at this point?
2. I own/fly a DJI Mavic Air 2. Is this UA already Remote I.D. Compliant or will I need to purchase a module?
3. I will have a spotter with me on site and I have Professional business radios for comms. With the exception of possibly needing to obtain waivers for flight in the local airspace ( I am checking this out today); does anyone know of any other bases I would need to cover before the flight?
I hope I've covered everything. If not please feel free to let me know what I may be missing. Thank you in advance.
PITTMAV69
To my knowledge, to date no drone has gone through the certification process necessary to be allowed to fly over people. I may be wrong. But I would not plan a flight over people until I had something from the manufacturer that says your particular UAS is a category XX rated aircraft. Just my take on the rules.

Reactions: BigL and PITTMAV69
To my knowledge, to date no drone has gone through the certification process necessary to be allowed to fly over people. I may be wrong. But I would not plan a flight over people until I had something from the manufacturer that says your particular UAS is a category XX rated aircraft. Just my take on the rules.
Thanks for the info sir. Most likely I will keep the UA off to the side and not above any people or vehicles on the ground. I can still get the shots that the client wants; although probably not the close ups of the riders as they cross the start/finish line. For those I'll just go high and wide and probably zoom in with the camera as best I can.

You cannot partially take the new training. Should you decide to take the recurrent (which you can do at anytime), it will renew your certification upon passing with a new 2-year cycle based on the month you pass. Keep in mind, if you happen to fail the exam, you will no longer be Part 107 certified until the next time you pass it. (I am incorrect regarding test failure. See below.)

Last edited:
You cannot partially take the new training. Should you decide to take the recurrent (which you can do at anytime), it will renew your certification upon passing with a new 2-year cycle based on the month you pass. Keep in mind, if you happen to fail the exam, you will no longer be Part 107 certified until the next time you pass it.
If you miss any question you can go back and keep answering till you get it right. The only way to fail is not to finish it in the 90 minutes given. If you do fail you will still be current from the previous recurrency as long as you have not gone passed the 24 calendar months. Also if you fail you will not be able to fly at night.
For flights over people for now you will need to get waiver. For any sustained flight over people you will need a cat 1 drone and remote Id that won’t be possible till I believe September 2023.

If you do fail you will still be current from the previous recurrency as long as you have not gone passed the 24 calendar months.
Really? I thought I read that a failing grade (not just running out of time) voids your currency because you obviously do not know the regulations well enough at that time.

Really? I thought I read that a failing grade (not just running out of time) voids your currency because you obviously do not know the regulations well enough at that time.
1621552280019.jpeg
Actually there is no failing grade. You have to get 100 and are given 90 minutes to take exam and fix your wrong answers. If you don’t finish the exam in the 90 minutes than you will have to take the exam all over again in order to get credit for recurrency.

1621552464675.jpeg

Reactions: MapMaker53
I also suggest having a backup drone in the waiting just in case something happens. This is a one-day event and you certainly wouldn’t want to let the customer down in any way.

Even with new rules... a Cat1 is less than 250gram (.55 lb) and props completely shrouded... weight includes prop shroud and all payloads: camera, strobes, etc.

That rules out any craft currently available just on weight factor alone. Moving to Cat2 provides up to 11 ft lb kenitic energy of impact force and continues with the fully shrouded props, Cat 3 same with higher impact energy up to 25 Ft Lb kenitic. That level of impact energy is easily obtained too.

The need to obtain waiver for flight over people will continue for many and the need for parachutes to decrease impact energy will continue.

I don't see a sub-250gram, fully shrouded platform that includes RID and decent camera being a low cost alternative. Unless fuselage, shroud and props become lighter materials to allow a quality camera & motors strong enough to keep the light package stable in mild winds.

With current technology and existing platform designs, the new flight over people regs aren't within an easy reach. Although it does motivate new designs and race to provide to market... but at what cost? If a currently owned platform could be rigged with a RID and Parachute, would that provide a better platform in operations and final costs? All unknowns at present.

Thanks for the info sir. Most likely I will keep the UA off to the side and not above any people or vehicles on the ground. I can still get the shots that the client wants; although probably not the close ups of the riders as they cross the start/finish line. For those I'll just go high and wide and probably zoom in with the camera as best I can.
A Skydio 2 on open sections would work nicely... preposition a few pre-planned posts... get S2 up and locked on Ft Group and position it out Ft for a tracking. Could obtain some nice frontal low clips!

Finish lines aren't a good mix for drones. Too many people and possibly a lot of Interferences from other media sources, etc. A boom mount, a OneX 360 on a 10-20' stick or a neighboring mutil-story window / roof as options... ladder to be above crowd, or a nice zoom lens on ground ahead of finish line will capture the close up action.

I've used an S2 for clip segments of Riders prior to Ride... to get some close action group shots on a climb or flat. Drones in Cyclist Crowds would be concerning.

Good Luck, have fun! Drones are just 1 of the Tools in the Bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: iaincaradoc
Find a professional drone flight school or find a course through a local college. When I hire a professional pilot I can only hope he does not have to go to a message board to find out what laws he needs to know to fly? Also drones don’t have spotters? They have VOs ( Visuale Observers) I’m sure the administrator will say that I’m mean or that my post is in poor taste or that people come here advise? My answer to that is the more so called professionals that need “advice” the more drone restrictions the government will be putting on professional pilots that actually make a living flying drones.

Well........at least he’s asking so he’s got my respect. A good first step is to ask.

if and when you take the test, it’s easy except for the questions regarding flights over people. Do the study course and screen shot the categories of flights over people and you can refer to those and pass easily. For your shoot, just don’t fly over people. You can probably get enough shots to cover. You could refer your client to skiptv if he needs better coverage.

Reactions: Afghanpilot
if and when you take the test, it’s easy except for the questions regarding flights over people. Do the study course and screen shot the categories of flights over people and you can refer to those and pass easily. For your shoot, just don’t fly over people. You can probably get enough shots to cover. You could refer your client to skiptv if he needs better coverage.
I’m scheduled to take my part 107 exam on the first. I’ve been working hard using the most recent study guides and practice tests, but I haven’t spent much time researching the two new rules. I’m feeling confident now with the other material so I need to study the new stuff. Where do I access the study course you mention?

Find a professional drone flight school or find a course through a local college. When I hire a professional pilot I can only hope he does not have to go to a message board to find out what laws he needs to know to fly? Also drones don’t have spotters? They have VOs ( Visuale Observers) I’m sure the administrator will say that I’m mean or that my post is in poor taste or that people come here advise? My answer to that is the more so called professionals that need “advice” the more drone restrictions the government will be putting on professional pilots that actually make a living flying drones.
It’s Visual Observers not Visuale Observers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905