Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Daisy-chain for Part 107 Authorization - flight over State University

Kristina Fowler

Reaction score
I'm flying a gig for a large construction company at a large University. The local rules clearly state: "Operations in this area require Authorization from [Subject] University". (period) The project manager sent me an email that was sent to him from 2 other non-university individuals (daisy-chain) who obviously had discussions with someone from the university, and essentially said "You're good to go. You're cleared to fly". There was no evidence that anyone from the University rendered authorization. I asked him to have the University send me an email directly, as was the case in a similar gig last year. My premise was that non-university entities cannot supersede state law and properly render authorization, regardless of the roles this company played in the gig. He was a bit peeved that I raised the issue. I feel that as PIC, my rear-end is on the line by only getting authorization vicariously from the construction company and not directly from the university.

Am I properly authorized?

I would not consider that being authorized to fly on-campus based on the word of a non-university third party and having not been shown any official documentation from the school. If the project manager was being up front and honest, I see no reason for him to be peeved that you need to see proof of authorization as a professional. Seems a bit fishy to me. As the PIC, you have a professional obligation to see proof of authorization. Can you contact the university and verify it for yourself? You may find that they don't know what you are talking about. The company I work for deals with construction crews on a daily basis and we find that they are constantly trying to cut corners on safety in order to speed up their work. I also suspect he doesn't like a woman questioning him. Unfortunately, our female field staff often run into that too.

Last edited:
Maybe you arent authorized to take off from, or land on University property, but the airspace...

Maybe you arent authorized to take off from, or land on University property, but the airspace...

That is probably not a viable option. Unless the construction site is right on the border of the campus, being able to fly from a point off-campus to a site in the middle of a large university, film the construction at the needed altitude, and be able to keep the drone in VLOS with trees and buildings in the way is highly unlikely to be possible. Not to mention having any ability to determine if people may be walking or working directly below the drone.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905