Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Daylight waiver/Night training?

JDL

Reaction score
Hello everyone, so looking at the new rules about to take place for night flights; can everyone help with some clarity? So if I already have my part 107, am I good to go so long as I have anti-collision lights? Or as part 107 pilots do we have to wait and take a new "faa night training/test?"

J.D.

After April 6th, or when the FAA is actually ready... If you have a 107, you can take an online/study guide/test to add the Night Flight Provision to your current license. If you take your 107 test after the 6th of April or when the FAA is actually ready.... Night questions are baked into the test and with your 'new' 107 License you will now be able to fly at night. You do need 'night' lights that can be seen at 3 miles.

J.D. - As I understand it, as of now (things are changing fast), we will need to do the FAA online training (no charge). This only applies if you currently have a part 107 certificate. If you have not taken the initial written test, you must do that first.
If you have a part 107 and your original is not current, you only have to do the online training. Once you do that, you have also satisfied the biannual requirement to remain current. No more written ($150) tests!
Once you have your initial 107, and done the online training, you are permitted to fly at night AND over people - at this point I assume there will be some restrictions, but you need to research that.
Online training is available April 11...but this date has been moved, so may not be a “hard” date.
As mentioned, things are changing, and I’m no expert - this is just my understanding at this point.

Do you have a link to this info? Last I heard was 4/6 from @BigAl07
I think you may be correct. A couple of weeks ago, I came across something that stated April 11th. I am in need of my recurrence and noted the date. I just searched for it, and did come across something that stated April 6. I need to dig and find the actual info on an FAA site....I will update my original post.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
Do you have a link to this info? Last I heard was 4/6 from @BigAl07

As of right now it's still 4/6/21

If you take the Recurrency Training on/after that date you can utilize the new rules of the training 4/21/21

If you do NOT take the Recurrency Training you can not fly at night after 5/21/21 because all ~107.29 (Daylight Waivers) auto-expire at that time regardless what their expiration date is.

Your 24 month Recurrency clock is reset the moment you complete the Recurrency Training online.

Go to Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov and on 4/6/21 the new Part 107 Recurrency Training "should" go LIVE. Don't be surprised if the system has a couple of hiccups/crashes for a day or two because I expect a LOT of people to flood the system trying to be first in line . . .

@BigAl07, we wrote this for these very conversations. Lots of confusion.

*admin approved link... ?

I’m only seeing an initial test and recurrent test. I just want to fly at night, I already have my part 107 which I just passed in October of 2020?

Hi, JDL. Take ALC 677 at FAASafety.gov.
Wait so I have to basically Have to take the whole recurrent test just to fly at night? I just received my part 107 in October of 2020? I’m good for two years

Wait so I have to basically Have to take the whole recurrent test just to fly at night? I just received my part 107 in October of 2020? I’m good for two years
Yes, you have to take the new recurrent training and exam to fly under the new rules. Completing the training extends your currency for 2 more years.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91