Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Differences between platforms and companies

miturnbo

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Website
www.minutemanresponse.org
We've been a DJI shop for a while but looking at potentially buying more equipment, maybe from Autel, and I'm wondering how much difference there is between the general operation and instrumentation there is between platforms. Is there any way to get a detailed view of what may be different from Autel to DJI? I'd like to move to US made but DJI has some good stuff too.

We've been a DJI shop for a while but looking at potentially buying more equipment, maybe from Autel, and I'm wondering how much difference there is between the general operation and instrumentation there is between platforms. Is there any way to get a detailed view of what may be different from Autel to DJI? I'd like to move to US made but DJI has some good stuff too.
Check out sister site AutelPiltos. Lots of good comparisons. Here is one I found helpful.

Reactions: miturnbo
After reading that review I doubt if I would consider one. Truth is sadly enough DJI is hard to compete with. The company I was working with got me hooked on the Inspire 2, so I now have my own Inspire 2 and a Mavic Pro.
The ability to have multiple lenses on the Inspire is a big plus in my book. I picked up a used Inspire 2 with the X5 camera, four pairs of batteries for $4500 dollars. The batteries had only been charged six times, so they are like new.
The other thing is I do a lot of mapping, the inspire 2 will maintain 33 mph while mapping and photo quality is excellent. The Mavic Pro is much slower mapping.
Well that is my two cents.

After reading that review I doubt if I would consider one. Truth is sadly enough DJI is hard to compete with. The company I was working with got me hooked on the Inspire 2, so I now have my own Inspire 2 and a Mavic Pro.
The ability to have multiple lenses on the Inspire is a big plus in my book. I picked up a used Inspire 2 with the X5 camera, four pairs of batteries for $4500 dollars. The batteries had only been charged six times, so they are like new.
The other thing is I do a lot of mapping, the inspire 2 will maintain 33 mph while mapping and photo quality is excellent. The Mavic Pro is much slower mapping.
Well that is my two cents.
The thing I really like about the Autel is their Live Deck. And they are not made in China and don't have geofencing. But I do agree that DJI has their stuff together on most everything else. But why don't they have anything like that Live Deck? That is pure gold if you're trying to do Search and Rescue missions and have an Incident Command.

Check out sister site AutelPiltos. Lots of good comparisons. Here is one I found helpful.
Great info! Thanks!!

The thing I really like about the Autel is their Live Deck. And they are not made in China and don't have geofencing. But I do agree that DJI has their stuff together on most everything else. But why don't they have anything like that Live Deck? That is pure gold if you're trying to do Search and Rescue missions and have an Incident Command.

I'm not implying there aren't some good features, and I suppose it also depends on the application you'll be using it for. As for Geo Fence, $40.00 bucks and no more geo fence and better performance. Who makes the motors for the Autel, or should I ask where are they made?

Let me give another example, the Chinese kill us on labor costs. One of the groups I work with just had a couple small boards made up. Sent them to China was charged $6.50 and sent us back four circuit boards, turn around time was a few days. Done here in the states, would have been four times as much and twice as long. We may not like them and their politics but their cheap labor can save many dollars. Oh, components were all aviation grade.

You pose some great questions. This is the big buzz in the industry right now, especially with our Public Safety clients. DJI or Autel? We represent both companies, and can tell you in most face to face conversations more and more agencies are moving towards Autel. There are a lot of factors, but that is where we’ve seen the demand moving.

While they are not manufactured in the USA, their US team and support system are based in Bothell, WA. They do have plans create a fully Made in the USA model within the next few years.

Feel free to reach out with any questions! We can also send a demo unit to try.

Reactions: miturnbo
You pose some great questions. This is the big buzz in the industry right now, especially with our Public Safety clients. DJI or Autel? We represent both companies, and can tell you in most face to face conversations more and more agencies are moving towards Autel. There are a lot of factors, but that is where we’ve seen the demand moving.

While they are not manufactured in the USA, their US team and support system are based in Bothell, WA. They do have plans create a fully Made in the USA model within the next few years.

Feel free to reach out with any questions! We can also send a demo unit to try.
I'd love to get more information about the demo unit. We are trying to determine what will work best to carry us forward. For the Autel EVO II vs DJI M2EA I think they are similar enough that it doesn't make a lot of difference except the Live Deck which is a low cost way to get the video from the drone into the IC unit. The other issue we are facing is what to replace the Inspire 1 with since it has the Stork drop mechanism on it that is a great addition for our Swift Water Rescue team. I do not want 3 different flavors of technology for our guys to have to know so right now, the odds are in favor of DJI. Ultimately though we have to choose what's best for the possible missions.

Oh, and we are about to purchase the DJI Flight Simulator as well which adds another kink to the mix because if folks are using that and getting used to everything DJI, it may make things a bit less intuitive on a different platform.

Randall Warnas, most recently head of Global Industrial sUAS at thermal sensor leader FLIR, has been named CEO at Autel Robotics. He was an early US employee at DJI, and has brought in several former DJI employees and Jon McBride Dom RMUS.

It takes time to make a meaningful changes in product and culture, but this looks like a positive long-term outlook for Autel to challenge DJI.

I'd like to move to US made but DJI has some good stuff too.
Don't fool yourself about Autel being a US company.
Their head office is just down the road from DJI in Shenzhen.
Very few buyers would be prepared to pay for a genuine US made drone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM