Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI GEO Unlock...

jourdango

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced any troubles with unlocking via their CrystalSky?

I was doing some testing this weekend and ended up having to go back home and going through the unlock process on my desktop because the procedure throught CS kept failing.

After I was approved at home on my desktop, I did bring my laptop back out with me just in case (and will do from now on) but I just wanted to see if this is normal or is currently an error on DJI's part?

I had to go through the new procedures on the last 2 times I went out this month. All I had to do was use my phone as a hotspot to allow my Crystalsky and a tablet do the unlock. I just wish Dji would have sent out a email or message through the 1k's of online sites of this change and what is needed to fly. Nothing worst than be miles/hours away and not be able to fly do to a unlock release.

Reactions: adm_geomatics
I have done unlocking on the CS twice while in the air. Via the mobile phone you get to confirm the unlocking, and it keeps a log of it. No problem at all.

I just had to do a custom unlock. I was mapping a county pit for stockpile measurements …. but it was 3.5 miles from KCLM airport in Port Angeles. My first trip clued me in I would not be able to unlock in the field. I have a hotspot that I take with me, along with my laptop and I couldn't fly …. period! I was in a red no-fly zone. Sucked, as I was about an hour from the shop.
Once home, I filed a COA request for the E2 airspace I was going to fly in through the FAA's DroneZone website. Three weeks later, I finally got it, used DJI Flysafe app to get a custom unlock. Being it was my first time using their system, I missed my circle around the pit by about a 1/2 mile. Got back there a few days later ….. couldn't fly it again! (my error though). Found out I misplaced the 'circle of life.' Resubmitted my custom unlock to DJI. Finally got it all worked out. It still was an effort to finally get the Pix4D capture to work. What a pain in the *#@!
I also use the 7.85" CrystalSky monitor. I really have had a lot of issues with the software and find myself rebooting the display a lot to get it to work right. I really wish I had gone in another direction ….. but the display is very sharp with its hood … even in bright sunlight... so there is the trade off I guess.

Chris, how did you load the Pix4d software on the CS? I want to add Dronedepoly on mine, but have not seen a way to install it on my CS. I have to use a tablet

Issue Date :​
October 24, 2019 at 1316 UTC
SAN BERNARDINO, California near PARADISE VORTAC (PDZ)
Beginning Date and Time :​
October 24, 2019 at 1255 UTC
Ending Date and Time :​
December 24, 2019 at 1250 UTC
Reason for NOTAM :​
TO PROVIDE A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR FIRE FIGHTING AVIATION OPERATIONS
Type :​
Hazards
Replaced NOTAM(s) :​
N/A
Jump To:
Affected Areas
Operating Restrictions and Requirements
Other Information
Affected Area(s)
Airspace Definition:
Center: On the PARADISE VORTAC (PDZ) 025 degree radial at 20.4 nautical miles. (Latitude: 34º10'46"N, Longitude: 117º16'04"W)
Radius: 5 nautical miles
Altitude: From the surface up to and including 8000 feet MSL
Effective Date(s):
From October 24, 2019 at 1255 UTC
To December 24, 2019 at 1250 UTC
9/1329
Click for Sectional
NOTAM Text
Operating Restrictions and Requirements
No pilots may operate an aircraft in the areas covered by this NOTAM (except as described).
Other Information:
ARTCC: ZLA - Los Angeles Center
Point of Contact: THE SAN BERNARDINO NATIONAL FOREST
Telephone 909-383-5651
Frequency 136
Authority: Title 14 CFR section 91.137(a)(2)

Last edited:
Just go to the browser in CS and then to the Google play store and look for Ctrl+DJI and Pix4D capture apps. You will need the first to activate the second. Should download easy enough. Drone Deploy app is also there and works the same way (I believe).
I usually start by going through my DJI Go 4 app and making sure that the bird is ready to fly, SD card is formatted, etc. then I use the 'back' button at the bottom edge of CS to take me back to the opening page of the Go 4 app where I can then hit 'applications' which usually opens a pop up menu that asks if I want to open the Go 4 or the Ctrl+DJI or the Pix4D app. I choose the Ctrl+DJI app. It usually asks 'just once?' or make default. I choose just once. It then opens the Pix4D capture app where I then choose what mission I want to fly. If I do it that way, it usually does not fail (although it has in the past). If it does fail, I usually start all over and reboot the CS. Once it is working, I then follow the directions once I know that the Phantom 4 V2 is connected to the capture program and fly my mission. I do not use Drone Deploy, so I do not know how it opens etc., but it probably works the same way? Hope that helps.

Reactions: Recoveryone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM