Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI M3E RTK

OzoneTech

Reaction score
I am planning to move over from P4P platform to DJI M3E platform. The specification sheet of M3E under GNSS says GPS + Galileo +BeiDou + Glonass ( Glonass is supported only when the RTK module is enabled). What does this statement mean Glonass only enabled when RTK is enabled?

When you buy and install the sold separately (Unless in a bundle) RTK module which also must be receiving corrections from a DRTK base on using Custom NTRIP, Glonass (Russian version of GPS) will be used for precise positioning and also precise coordinates will be tagged onto images via DJI Time Sync.

When you buy and install the sold separately (Unless in a bundle) RTK module which also must be receiving corrections from a DRTK base on using Custom NTRIP, Glonass (Russian version of GPS) will be used for precise positioning and also precise coordinates will be tagged onto images via DJI Time Sync.
What I mean is when RTK module is attached to M3E but it is not set to receive corrections from base station/ntrip. Will GLONASS be a part of GNSS?

No. For RTK to be enabled, and the drone to allow you to fly, you must have a FIX status. You can only have a FIX status when receiving corrections from the DJI RTK or Custom NTRIP.
If you place the RTK module on your drone and do not enable RTK then you will not be using RTK. When you enable RTK the drone needs a FIX status.

You don't need Glonass if not using RTK, the other constellations are more than enough for your needs.

Thanks for the explanation.
Do you mean to say that there is no other means to enable Glonass without fix? We get low satellite counts (<10) in a high rise urban environment. For mission planned flights to operate in such environment, we need higher number of satellites to be logged.

I am planning to move over from P4P platform to DJI M3E platform. The specification sheet of M3E under GNSS says GPS + Galileo +BeiDou + Glonass ( Glonass is supported only when the RTK module is enabled). What does this statement mean Glonass only enabled when RTK is enabled?
Hello there,

The statement you're referring to regarding the DJI M3E platform—specifically that "GLONASS is supported only when the RTK module is enabled"—refers to the types of satellite navigation systems the drone can utilize for positioning, and under what conditions.

GPS (Global Positioning System), Galileo, BeiDou, and GLONASS are all global navigation satellite systems (GNSS) that provide geolocation and time information to a GNSS receiver anywhere on or near the Earth where there is an unobstructed line of sight to four or more satellites. The availability of multiple systems (like GPS, Galileo, BeiDou, and GLONASS) enhances the accuracy, reliability, and coverage of positioning information.

The DJI M3E's ability to use GLONASS, however, is specifically tied to the activation of its RTK (Real-Time Kinematic) module. RTK is a technology that enhances the precision of position data derived from satellite-based positioning systems. It uses measurements of the phase of the signal's carrier wave, rather than the information content of the signal, and relies on a single reference station to provide real-time corrections, providing up to centimeter-level accuracy.

So, when the statement says "GLONASS is supported only when the RTK module is enabled," it means that the drone can only utilize the GLONASS satellites for improved positioning accuracy if the RTK module is active. Without the RTK module being enabled, the drone will not use GLONASS satellites for positioning and will rely on the other available systems (GPS, Galileo, and BeiDou) for its navigation.

This feature is particularly useful in applications requiring high precision, such as mapping, surveying, or any operation where precise positioning is critical. Enabling RTK and, by extension, GLONASS support ensures your drone has the best possible access to satellite signals, improving its positional accuracy and reliability, especially in challenging environments.

I hope this clarifies your question!
Roger - Owner of 2D DUMMIES™

Hello there,

The statement you're referring to regarding the DJI M3E platform—specifically that "GLONASS is supported only when the RTK module is enabled"—refers to the types of satellite navigation systems the drone can utilize for positioning, and under what conditions.

GPS (Global Positioning System), Galileo, BeiDou, and GLONASS are all global navigation satellite systems (GNSS) that provide geolocation and time information to a GNSS receiver anywhere on or near the Earth where there is an unobstructed line of sight to four or more satellites. The availability of multiple systems (like GPS, Galileo, BeiDou, and GLONASS) enhances the accuracy, reliability, and coverage of positioning information.

The DJI M3E's ability to use GLONASS, however, is specifically tied to the activation of its RTK (Real-Time Kinematic) module. RTK is a technology that enhances the precision of position data derived from satellite-based positioning systems. It uses measurements of the phase of the signal's carrier wave, rather than the information content of the signal, and relies on a single reference station to provide real-time corrections, providing up to centimeter-level accuracy.

So, when the statement says "GLONASS is supported only when the RTK module is enabled," it means that the drone can only utilize the GLONASS satellites for improved positioning accuracy if the RTK module is active. Without the RTK module being enabled, the drone will not use GLONASS satellites for positioning and will rely on the other available systems (GPS, Galileo, and BeiDou) for its navigation.

This feature is particularly useful in applications requiring high precision, such as mapping, surveying, or any operation where precise positioning is critical. Enabling RTK and, by extension, GLONASS support ensures your drone has the best possible access to satellite signals, improving its positional accuracy and reliability, especially in challenging environments.

I hope this clarifies your question!
Roger - Owner of 2D DUMMIES™
Thank you for the explanation.

My question remains unanswered. What I want to know is if RTK module is installed without connecting it to any base station/ NTRIP, can I still utilize GLONASS for navigation of the AC? In an urban area where there are many high rise buildings, the satellites locked drops to <10 making mission flights impossible for lack of satellites logged. Enabling GLONASS might solve this issue.
Regards,
Menon

I am not trying to be rude, but your question has been answered multiple times. You are not accepting the answer.

It was answered here:
"No. For RTK to be enabled, and the drone to allow you to fly, you must have a FIX status. You can only have a FIX status when receiving corrections from the DJI RTK or Custom NTRIP.
If you place the RTK module on your drone and do not enable RTK then you will not be using RTK. When you enable RTK the drone needs a FIX status."

and here:

"So, when the statement says "GLONASS is supported only when the RTK module is enabled," it means that the drone can only utilize the GLONASS satellites for improved positioning accuracy if the RTK module is active. Without the RTK module being enabled, the drone will not use GLONASS satellites for positioning and will rely on the other available systems (GPS, Galileo, and BeiDou) for its navigation."

and again here:

The answer is no. You CANNOT use GLONAS for navigation in the scenario you mentioned.

I am not trying to be rude, but your question has been answered multiple times. You are not accepting the answer.

It was answered here:
"No. For RTK to be enabled, and the drone to allow you to fly, you must have a FIX status. You can only have a FIX status when receiving corrections from the DJI RTK or Custom NTRIP.
If you place the RTK module on your drone and do not enable RTK then you will not be using RTK. When you enable RTK the drone needs a FIX status."

and here:

"So, when the statement says "GLONASS is supported only when the RTK module is enabled," it means that the drone can only utilize the GLONASS satellites for improved positioning accuracy if the RTK module is active. Without the RTK module being enabled, the drone will not use GLONASS satellites for positioning and will rely on the other available systems (GPS, Galileo, and BeiDou) for its navigation."

and again here:

The answer is no. You CANNOT use GLONAS for navigation in the scenario you mentioned.
My apologies. I could not clearly convey the scenario under which GLONASS could also be used for navigation. I am clear now. Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143