Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI Unlock Request for P4P only allows multiple circles - not polygon

Kristina Fowler

Reaction score
I recently received FAA ATC Authorization for on-airport operations in Class C Airspace (see the red area in attachment). It is a polygon comprised of straight lines. It is required that I utilize 100% of the FAA Authorized area with no area remaining locked. When submitting unlock request to DJI for a P4P (not P4P V2), DJI only allows you to draw overlapping circles (see yellow areas in attachment). This will ultimately result in either 1) unused void areas of FAA-approved area or 2) areas that extend outside the authorized polygon which may cause DJI to decline the request.

Question: How do I unlock (exactly/precisely) the FAA Authorized area noted in red?? I do not wish to draw hundreds of tiny circles!!

It should be noted that for certain models, DJI allows for the drawing of polygons when submitting unlock requests, but the P4P is not included. The P4P V2 is included.

DJI_Unlock.jpg

Last edited:
I did exactly that this afternoon and got approved by DJI but it will not work. I was told before I submitted the request that if I draw a circle (as you depict) it would encompass the red area and restrict flight outside the red area even if it appears that I could fly outside the red area. Wrong. They were just making it up on the fly. It needs to correspond precisely to the red-shaded area, per the FAA very clear instructions. It needs to be "fenced" inside the red area. That circular area invites inadvertent travel into areas outside the red polygon - like the main runway. My tolerances are too tight to free-style it and stay inside the FAA red zone.

Why do they let P4P V2 users draw a polygon but limit P4P owners to drawing a **** circle??!! Makes absolutely no sense.

I'm trying to comply with the FAA instructions in the certificate which state: "If equipped, Geo-fencing technology must be employed to ensure the UAS remains within the confines of the designated operating area."

So my AC is equipped with the technology, but it allows too much legroom for my preferences - and safety margins.

So my AC is equipped with the technology, but it allows too much legroom for my preferences - and safety margins.

The FAA is talking about Geofencing capability that you can program into the drone, not what someone out of your control programs.

There are SDK apps for DJI craft that have the capability to program a geofence. It is just a particular waypoint mission. That is what I would use if I felt it was needed to comply with a CoA.

I've run into the exact same problem with the P2P. In my instance, the tower allowed a larger area request and I was able to get larger area authorized from DJI, after a few requests and emails back and forth with DJI. If there are other ways to get the unlock from DJI other than their process I would love to hear about them

The FAA is talking about Geofencing capability that you can program into the drone, not what someone out of your control programs.

There are SDK apps for DJI craft that have the capability to program a geofence. It is just a particular waypoint mission. That is what I would use if I felt it was needed to comply with a CoA.
If you have a link to the SDK apps that can draw a geo-fence (do not exceed boundary), please share it here. I use "Autopilot by Hangar" for all my waypoint missions. I can easily draw a waypoint mission to replicate the FAA boundary, but it's no guarantee that it will prevent stray ventures into that bonus area (inside the circle but out of FAA authorized area) that DJI now allows me into. Autopilot waypoint missions do not limit AC flight within a boundary. I don't trust myself and would rather have the firmware tweaked onboard the AC just in case I "fall asleep at the wheel". Follow?

I've run into the exact same problem with the P2P. In my instance, the tower allowed a larger area request and I was able to get larger area authorized from DJI, after a few requests and emails back and forth with DJI. If there are other ways to get the unlock from DJI other than their process I would love to hear about them
Current DJI geofencing onboard the AC is totally independent of FAA LAANC automated areas - even if LAANC says you can fly in B, C, or D airspace at a given altitude.

Case in Point: Last year, I was all set up to fly inside of a Class B using LAANC. Got my FAA authorization and proceeded with my mission. Uneventful/normal. While I was flying clearly inbounds of a LAANC sector at the correct altitude, the AC abruptly checked up and stopped. What the heck?? Found out it was bumping up against a DJI "red zone" that was hard-coded into the firmware.

When I called DJI support, all I got was double-speak. They claimed the DJI "red zone" trumped LAANC (what?). They had no rational answer as to why they were playing big brother (geo-fencing) and over riding the FAA-approved LAANC authorization. It's like buying a certain model automobile and take out on the Interstate only to find out it won't go over 55 MPH because the maker just says so. (???)

DJI: the last bastion of cognitive dissonance.

If you have a link to the SDK apps that can draw a geo-fence (do not exceed boundary), please share it here. I use "Autopilot by Hangar" for all my waypoint missions. I can easily draw a waypoint mission to replicate the FAA boundary, but it's no guarantee that it will prevent stray ventures into that bonus area (inside the circle but out of FAA authorized area) that DJI now allows me into. Autopilot waypoint missions do not limit AC flight within a boundary. I don't trust myself and would rather have the firmware tweaked onboard the AC just in case I "fall asleep at the wheel". Follow?

Hammer Missions (@HammerMissions) has a feature they call "obsticles" where you can define where you don't want your drone to go. They are on this forum and I've pinged them so maybe they will jump in and help you with what their platform can do in this case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM