Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI's update on Drone to Phone (Remote ID App)

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
DSAR Member
Reaction score
This is a very good read for anyone who watched DJI's video recently about their Drone-to-Phone app:

DJI got a lot of grief in reaction to their drone to phone video for not presenting the possible problems associated with broadcasting operator's location to the general public. This statement is in response to that. A little late, but at least they are trying.

It is one solution and certainly (almost) better than the NPRM. But is it really necessary to broadcast base station location to everyone versus to the entities that actually need it? LEO and FAA is fine by me. It does not concern anyone else.

It is one solution and certainly (almost) better than the NPRM. But is it really necessary to broadcast base station location to everyone versus to the entities that actually need it? LEO and FAA is fine by me. It does not concern anyone else.

I agree with you whole heartedly!! Refine it and release a Public Safety version and a "everyone else" version and I'm good with Drone-to-phone.

Reactions: R Martin
I agree with you whole heartedly!! Refine it and release a Public Safety version and a "everyone else" version and I'm good with Drone-to-phone.

That is where we fall apart. Both sides of the house (commercial and rec pilots) are going to have to work together or we are all going to be in deep trouble. It's not an us or them fight that is going to break this stupidity. It has to be all of us as a community of users vs the powers that be that will ultimately win this round. But yes, I could live with DJI's solution if implemented with our privacy in mind. Of course, I rarely fly my DJI anymore.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
DJI got a lot of grief in reaction to their drone to phone video for not presenting the possible problems associated with broadcasting operator's location to the general public. This statement is in response to that. A little late, but at least they are trying.

The Chinese don't get the right to privacy and how we value it. But at least their solution is a right step forward that would benefit remote pilots in general and especially the recreational sector who is potentially going to be hit hardest by this new proposal.

That is where we fall apart. Both sides of the house (commercial and rec pilots) are going to have to work together or we are all going to be in deep trouble. It's not an us or them fight that is going to break this stupidity. It has to be all of us as a community of users vs the powers that be that will ultimately win this round. But yes, I could live with DJI's solution if implemented with our privacy in mind. Of course, I rarely fly my DJI anymore.

I think you missed my point sir. I meant the Drone-to-phone app should have a Public Safety Version (locates base station as well as aircraft) and a public version that does not disclose base stations.

I agree about being all of us.

I think you missed my point sir. I meant the Drone-to-phone app should have a Public Safety Version (locates base station as well as aircraft) and a public version that does not disclose base stations.

I agree about being all of us.

Well put my head in a pencil sharpener (do they still make those) and give the handle a good crank. It's too early for me to be using think in a sentence. I bow to your early thinking abilities and wish I possessed that skillset. You are spot on.

Reactions: BigAl07
Like DJI, WING (the Google drone spin-off) has criticized the FAA's NPRM as fundamentally flawed. In a recent statement WING called for "open skies for all!" (not just for those who could afford add-on hardware and monthly subscriptions) and recommended that the current NPRM be dropped in favor of the newly published ASTM F3411-19 Standard Specification for Remote ID and Tracking - which was developed with extensive in-put from a wide range of sUAS community players (recreational & commercial) and would be far more user friendly, affordable, and adaptable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143