Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Do you sell enlarged prints to your customers?

aerialimagery

Reaction score
Do you sell enlargements such as 16 x 20s or 20 x 30s etc to your customers?

Do you sell them mounted or unmounted?

Do you give your customers all the hi-res images and do they still buy enlargements from you even though they could do it themselves?

I used to do much of this when I used film, but after I converted to digital, just priced my work to release everything, but I think there could still be a market for printed images.

If you care to share your pricing, I would appreciate it.

I get very, very few requests for printed enlargements. When I do, I try to be fair, as I've already charged them adequately for a digital file copy. It's so rare, in fact, I can't come up with a specific pricing scheme that I can relate to you. I don't get into the mounting end of it, either. I'm probably not your best source for this kind of info. My clients tend be be journalistic-oriented, and most everything just goes to web sites or tabloid-sized publications.
When I went all digital, I simplified my billing methods, started editing the photos from any assignment myself (instead of making proof sheets or online galleries for them to choose from), finishing that selected set of images, and uploading a zipped folder to my server service. I use AWS now, it's so cheap it's silly, and I'm not bothering with intrusive third party transfer services like Dropbox, etc. The client gets a link in the email I send them,and when clicked, it begins a direct download to their hard drive. I know, this isn't what you were asking about, sorry.

My situation is quite different from most here I think. I work for an environmental company and our projects often cost the client hundreds of thousands of dollars, sometimes millions, for an environmental cleanup and I am now sometimes called upon to document the work with the drone. Whenever a client gives me permission to fly the site, I always like to surprise them (usually end of year holidays) with one or two 18x24 framed prints of the site for their office as a thank you. I print the photos myself with a large format printer and bring them to a local art store that does the framing. Frame and shipping usually costs us about $200. It's a great way to build client relationships for possible future work at their other sites -- especially when they see our work on their wall every day (which happens to have our small logo in the corner).

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
If they ask for them, and increase you cost / margin appropriately. It is a business thing and you trying to make money by covering your cost.

I've just sold an A0 print (approx 4'x3') to go above their fireplace in their bar. They've now requested a price for 32 18"x18" prints for their guest rooms. Pricing is a tricky one as the venue are also helping to sell my images to their wedding guests. Guess where the margin is!

I've just sold an A0 print (approx 4'x3') to go above their fireplace in their bar. They've now requested a price for 32 18"x18" prints for their guest rooms. Pricing is a tricky one as the venue are also helping to sell my images to their wedding guests. Guess where the margin is!

3 times your cost for prints. Then apply a bulk discount based on what margin is acceptable to you. They are running a business, and so are you. If they don't have prints in their room, then they are not sending a warm fuzzy feeling to their guests and future guests. Don;t let them take advantage of any perceived "gotta by the balls" mentality. Just be fair to you and your host.

3 times your cost for prints. Then apply a bulk discount based on what margin is acceptable to you. They are running a business, and so are you. If they don't have prints in their room, then they are not sending a warm fuzzy feeling to their guests and future guests. Don;t let them take advantage of any perceived "gotta by the balls" mentality. Just be fair to you and your host.
No advantage taking going on Dejan. So far from 2 images I have had sales of prints and postcards and that relationship is set to continue. I will make a reasonable profit based on a quantity sale but I won't ruin my relationship with a fantastic venue that is pushing a number of my products and services....it'd be commercial suicide.

I just got back the first batch of test prints I made at Costco and am very pleased with the results. I used to make lots of prints from 6 x 7 negatives and then not so many when I switched to using a DSLR, but the few I made from my DSLR were very good and rivaled those from my Pentax 6 x 7, though in theory, they shouldn't have been that close. But what I especially can't understand is how that tiny camera on my Phantom 4 Pro can produce such good images and such nice enlarged prints. If only I could have a P4P with a slightly longer lens. I would buy a separate one just for that feature (instead of changing lenses if that would be a cheaper way to go).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rats404