Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

...downtown LA flight questions.

zander lane

Reaction score
...hello, I've been flying commercially for two years now but have done mainly suburban real estate imagery and wedding footage, usually at gorgeous clifftop venues, winery estates and other wide open private areas - I now have an assignment to fly a wedding in downtown LA, specifically a church in chinatown and a high rise luxury hotel on wilshire blvd right among many other high rises - my gut instinct is to not fly there, but the area shows no restrictions in the airmap app...just wondering what some seasoned vets would suggest doing in this situation - thanks everyone!

...hello, I've been flying commercially for two years now but have done mainly suburban real estate imagery and wedding footage, usually at gorgeous clifftop venues, winery estates and other wide open private areas - I now have an assignment to fly a wedding in downtown LA, specifically a church in chinatown and a high rise luxury hotel on wilshire blvd right among many other high rises - my gut instinct is to not fly there, but the area shows no restrictions in the airmap app...just wondering what some seasoned vets would suggest doing in this situation - thanks everyone!
I suggest you'll get more informed answers if you post the exact location on a sectional...

...good call; here's the exact location info:

first location:
Intercontinental Hotel
900 Wilshire Blvd, LA, CA 90017

second location:
St. Anthony's Croatian Catholic Church
714 Alpine St, Los Angeles, CA 90012

IMG_8588.PNGIMG_8587.PNG

...thanks for any guidance!

Well the first location is under the LAX Class B airspace (starts at 2500) and well outside the FAM grid for LAX. Your second location is very close to the first.
The next concern is City filming permits for LA, a topic I know nothing about.

I know nothing re: flying among tall city bldgs. But I suspect wind problems down those "city" canyons and hairy flying.
Maybe an LA pilot can chime in...

Capture.JPG

You are fine as far as REGS, just don't fly over moving cars on the street. BE aware that LA Live if they have a Laker Game is a no fly zone. For you own benefit stay below 100 feet, There are LA Police Choppers and News Choppers flying around all over the place.

I don't know about LA, but we do a lot of work in San Francisco and the main issue is overflights of people and is almost impossible to avoid at times. That kind of environment is where your situational awareness must be very keen, I highly recommend a spotter to work with you.

Reactions: dawgpilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku