Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Drawing onto a drone map.

JonoCPDS

Reaction score
Hi,

I have searched the internet on this and can't seem to find what I was looking for. I hope someone more knowledgeable than myself here can help?

If I create a map of an area in Maps Made Easy, can that map be drawn over? For example if a client wanted to take that image and use it on a flyer to hand out to guests, rather than the traditional drawn things you see, could they have it marked with attractions and pathways?

I am assuming that it is just the same as drawing over any other JPEG image but sometimes the maps are pretty large (30 - 40 acres) and the JPEG image certainly won't open on my laptop. Would a designer have the ability to open and edit a file that size?

Does anyone have experience at resizing large map files and if so what was the best way you found to do it?

Thanks,

Jono

Last edited:
Hi,

I have searched the internet on this and can't seem to find what I was looking for. I hope someone more knowledgeable than myself here can help?

If I create a map of an area in Maps Made Easy, can that map be drawn over? For example if a client wanted to take that image and use it on a flyer to hand out to guests, rather than the traditional drawn things you see, could they have it marked with attractions and pathways?

Jono

First off WELCOME to the forum.

It depends on your software and your ability to edit images. Can it be done? Absolutely and it's done all the time. If you have the right editing software and are able to handle the software this can be done in a matter of minutes with great ease.

PS: There's nothing special about the map/images we create with our drones. They are still just maps/images and can be edited/manipulated like any others out there.

Thanks, I've been soaking up knowledge for a while, but first post.

I thought that was the case. I kind of just wondered how people were handling JPEG images that are sometimes pretty large. I tried opening one and all I got was a black screen. This was on a reasonable spec MacBook Pro.

Thanks, I've been soaking up knowledge for a while, but first post.

I thought that was the case. I kind of just wondered how people were handling JPEG images that are sometimes pretty large. I tried opening one and all I got was a black screen. This was on a reasonable spec MacBook Pro.

Larger format images do require more "horsepower" to open and manipulate but even on a marginal system you should be able to open and view a large JPG. It sounds like more of an IT problem possibly the program itself or the RAM isn't enough. Just guessing at best.

I use Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator to pull in large format image files and then edit. Unless it is absolutely nessary to have that large format, I export it into something more compressed. If I am sharing it with someone else, usually I export it into a PDF since just about everyone can open those.

I’ve been using an Apple Pencil with a Ipad 2018. You can draw over any image, write on it, etc. I use it on roof inspections where I can annotate areas of concern and add notes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905