Join our growing community today!

Drone knucklehead . . . very UNCOOL stunt flying over HELICOPTER

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
DSAR Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen this one posted on the forum yet so here goes....

This UAS operator pulled a maneuver that I would love to see him go to jail, get fined heavily, and forbidden to ever own any type of UAS ever again.

Please discuss but do so with respect and decency.

Allen

Reactions: ArrUnTuS
Clearly in this case the FAA's decision to educate has not worked. The sooner they crack down and start enforcing the regulations, the better. I fail to be impressed with the RPIC's display of poor judgement. Doesn't say a lot about the other pilot's decision-making skills either....

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
At the background of the image you can see another helicopter. I don't know that area the airspace limitations will have, but in such a small area two helicopters flying clearly indicates that it is an area in which a drone cannot fly. Very bad, another clever one that hurts us all ???

P.D.: New Emoticons ☺

This is the kind of thing that must make the FAA cringe, and cast a poor light on the drone community in general. Now we don't know if this guy is someone that just got a drone and is clueless to the laws, or a 107 pilot. My guess is he isn't certified. Have no way of knowing if he was in controlled airspace or not, but my guess would be he was.

I haven't seen this one posted on the forum yet so here goes....

This UAS operator pulled a maneuver that I would love to see him go to jail, get fined heavily, and forbidden to ever own any type of UAS ever again.

Please discuss but do so with respect and decency.

Allen
"Please discuss but do so with respect and decency. " I can't so I'll just shut up. :rolleyes:

So is this real. Unless the helicopter was going extremely slow. Or hovering how is it that the drone which is either a Phantom 3 or 4 over took the helicopter. A helicopter of this type cruises at 70 mph. A Phantom 3 or 4 top speed 43 in perfect conditions ?

So is this real. Unless the helicopter was going extremely slow. Or hovering how is it that the drone which is either a Phantom 3 or 4 over took the helicopter. A helicopter of this type cruises at 70 mph. A Phantom 3 or 4 top speed 43 in perfect conditions ?

Editing. The clip was run three times - first forward, then reversed, then forward again. (Notice that the is no movement of the drone over the terrane.)

Darn helicopters! Always getting in the way, and sneaking up on you! :p
If it's not the helicopters, it's the birds flying around aimlessly! ;)

This will continue to happen as long as people are flying beyond vlos. That's what happened in the midair collision NTSB Report DCA17IA202AB. He was so far out he didn't see or HEAR the approaching heli.

This will continue to happen as long as people are flying beyond vlos. That's what happened in the midair collision NTSB Report DCA17IA202AB. He was so far out he didn't see or HEAR the approaching heli.
Even VLOS won’t help, if fast flying helicopter appears out of nowhere, which they can easily do, especially if the fast flying helicopter comes up behind you! :oops:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905