Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Drone Life "Jobs For Drones"

cjc1103

Reaction score
I registered an account with Drone Life's "Jobs For Drones", which supposedly is a broker/marketplace for drone jobs. There is a 2016 copyright date at the bottom of the home page, so apparently it's been around for 3 years. However I have never seen any jobs posted on this website. Has anyone else registered for this website, or have any information about what is happening with it? I sent a message to them, but they haven't responded.

Chris

I registered an account with Drone Life's "Jobs For Drones", which supposedly is a broker/marketplace for drone jobs. There is a 2016 copyright date at the bottom of the home page, so apparently it's been around for 3 years. However I have never seen any jobs posted on this website. Has anyone else registered for this website, or have any information about what is happening with it? I sent a message to them, but they haven't responded.

Chris
If you want to try to get jobs, low paying ones mostly though, try droners.io. I get many notices for all types of jobs there and have only had time to just do a couple that were for jigs that paid better and that I was interested in.

Some here hate them for low balling, I understand why, but others here do it for fun and don’t mind just getting their gas paid for to go do something different.

Reactions: tleedom
I have done several jobs for droners.io, also DroneBase, and FlyGuys. Yes, it’s a race to the bottom, too many folks out there get a drone and decide to go into business, I’m forced to bid low to compete for jobs. Meanwhile as an independent contractor I’m on the hook for transportation, taxes, and insurance. Well thats if I use it. After $20 for mileage/gas/maintenance on my car, and $25 for flight insurance, plus $10% transaction fee for the broker, that $100 job ends up netting about $50. I could make more money working in an Amazon warehouse. But if my drone hit someone, I’d be sued into oblivion, and even $1 million doesn’t cover much these days.
Chris

I'm on Droners.io and Drone Base...have been on both for 15 months...I've procured 1 (one) job total from droners.io and I emailed Drone Base a couple months ago to see if their app still worked because I had yet to ever even see a job posting...ever. And the one gig I did for a client on droners.io turned into a 3 day mess which cost me money because it was a bait & switch job...which, even after complaining to droners.io about this particular agents shady posting style they're still on jamming up the feed with their cookie cutter job postings.

Meanwhile on my own with my own marketing, client word of mouth, etc. I'm very happily doing two or three gigs a week. I don't have to "bid" and be low-balled on a gig, no finders fee % taken away, no vague posts you bid on only to find out its a ripoff of a job and then find out its next to impossible to back out of. Do I still throw my hat in the ring when a nearby gig pops up, sure. But I never bid lower than their posted budget and more often than not I'll send a bid in at what the job should be paying and I don't care if I get hired or not.

So, yeah the job finder sites don't affect me...and if they come up in conversation with a potential client I remind them that at the end of the day they (the headhunter site) and more than likely they hire pilot isn't local with a vested interest in the locality.

Much the same as above. I have used drone base the past year. About 10 jobs. Droner.io has not successfully worked out. Low ball bids and crap locations. Still working on establishing myself in the industry. Have a mavic 2 pro and will travel!

I signed up with both and only had one offer, that was for $400.00 about an hour and half drive. In the most part both companies are a waste of time. I have found word of mouth and marketing yourself is the best way to go. It takes time to build a reputation, just make sure it is a good one. If your clients like your work and find you easy to work with they will tell their friends, if they don't like you and your work quality is poor, they will also tell their friends.

I used the drone base job to learn how to use LAANC and self unlock for other areas. Most jobs are 10-15 minutes but yes that does not count drive time and stuff. I did manage to schedule three in one day and did a big loop. That was the best yet. I am still of course trying to promote myself. The real estate around where I am has not quite embraced drone photography. I will keep trying, no chance of quitting my day job .HAHA

Reactions: Recoveryone
I get droner.io postings from locations about 1,800 miles away haha. And I am not even convinced DroneBase is a functional company. I've seen nothing from them.

Reactions: heyitsmeech
Dronebase, Droners.io, and Fly Guys (three of the drone job brokers I have found) are real companies, and I have gotten jobs from all of them. You're supposed to be able to tell them how far away you are willing to travel for a job, but doesn't always work out that way. Droners only lets you tell them what states I'm interested in. Since I live in Chattanooga, TN, which is close to Georgia and Alabama, I set my profile for Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama, but I get notified of all the jobs in all of those three states, the majority of which are outside the radius I'm willing to consider, 50-60 miles. I would travel further if there's two or more jobs close together, but I'd have to be coordinating that myself. Droners is a "race to the bottom" broker, and you can see how many bids have been submitted on the job, but you don't know what the other pilots have bid, and what their experience/equipment is. The customer sets the budget, the broker gets a cut, so unless you bid low enough, you're out of luck most times. I don't think they even care too much about your reputation and experience. Droners.io is just a website marketplace. The brokers probably are not drone pilots, or they would do the jobs themselves, so the question I have is: how do they find out about these job in order to advertise them to the general drone pilot community, who end up working for very little and taking all the risk? Obviously the pilots subscribing to this service are either just starting out or are not willing to do the leg work to build up a business of their own, including building a website - mandatory these days for any kind of service business like this. I'll lump myself in with the latter group, I need to do better marketing of my business instead of relying on crumbs from these brokers.

Reactions: Earthman
@cjc1103
Those companies probably operate similar to trucking brokers. The customer who needs the load delivered is either too lazy or busy to spend the time to search for a trucker. It is much easier to make one phone call and say I need a load transported from point A to point B and let the broker do the leg work.

And your not allowed to self promote on those jobs. Well how the heck am I supposed to move forward with these agencies low balling everything and non-licensed pilots taking jobs. Keep putting yourself out there and hopefully you get found.

And your not allowed to self promote on those jobs. Well how the heck am I supposed to move forward with these agencies low balling everything and non-licensed pilots taking jobs. Keep putting yourself out there and hopefully you get found.
"And your not allowed to self promote on those jobs " And that's just too bad; all my polos, BB cap and safety vest have my company name. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905